Stork on a Martin Bass

PhilB

Stork on a Martin Bass

Post by PhilB »

Hi, First time to post . . .

Recently purchased a (the) Martin (Committee) Bass which came with a 6 1/2 AL. I wanted a 1 1/4 and so purchased a Stork BT125-H-ST-1. I cannot get in tune with this mouthpiece, with tuning slides all full in I'm still a bit flat. I am wondering if the Stork was cut wrong on the shank or what?

Phil B
Posaunus

Re: Stork on a Martin Bass

Post by Posaunus »

6½AL to 1¼-size is a huge jump. (Of course the 6½AL is totally inappropriate for a bass trombone.)
Have you played bass before? Why did you choose to go so big?
I've had pretty good luck with Stork tenor trombone (small and large bore) pieces.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I've seen Martin basses, but never a Martin Committee bass. Is this the single valve bass with the flat wrap like an Olds S-20? Where did you buy it from that gave you a 6 1/2 al? Older basses generally like smaller mouthpieces, but the S-20-like horn should be able to handle a 1 1/4G. Try a 1 1/2 or even a 2G and see if that has the same problems. You might also check the horn for leaks or if the leadpipe is hosed in some way.
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

How old is your Martin? A440 wasn't a universal choice for "low pitch" after manufacturers started to move away from "high pitch". Some older instruments are pitched in the mid to high 430's.

Jim Scott
trombonedemon

Post by trombonedemon »

I went through the same situation when I bought my bass. It was my chops. Some how my chops shifted, many many slurs and long tones later, I still don't need to move my tuning slide, but my B flat is spot on.
Conn 112 H w/bored out rotors w/heavyweight caps, Sterling Silver Edward's B3 and Shires B3 leadpipe w/62H slide. Long Island Brass Comp Dimensions 29.5 inner rim .323 backbore solid silver lefreque

Return to “Mouthpieces”