Edwards bass nickel slide

bassbone1993

Edwards bass nickel slide

Post by bassbone1993 »

Hey all,

Asking a question on behalf of a few people.

Has anybody tried M/k drawing outer slides with Edwards inner slides? They'd have to be cut I believe since m/k are meant for Bach length slides. Since Edwards doesn't make an all nickel slide anymore, I'm wondering if this would be a possibility.
Blabberbucket

Re: Edwards bass nickel slide

Post by Blabberbucket »

I don't have measurements on hand at the moment, but as long as the inner diameter of the MK tubes is the same as the Edwards tubes you shouldn't have any problem rebuilding your Edwards slide with them.

MK may even be able to cut the tubes to the proper length for you, but you'd have to ask. I know they are a bit overwhelmed with orders at the moment so I'd expect quite a long turnaround time to get tubes from them.
David Paul - Brass Repair/Manufacture
ZacharyThornton

Post by ZacharyThornton »

Edwards still makes them, just custom order.
bassbone1993

Post by bassbone1993 »

ZacharyThornton wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:46 pm Edwards still makes them, just custom order.
Interesting. I emailed them about it a few months ago and I was told it wasn't an option.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

I wonder why they stopped using the Nickel Silver outers on Large Tenor and Bass trombones. I guess they just weren't selling? They still have them in the small bore configurations, though I can understand why it might not be cost effective to offer them anymore.

Shires and Rath still offer those as an an option. I do have a bass with a nickel outer slide, and i do feel that it balances out the red brass bell.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

There's one for sale in the classifieds.

JS
Blabberbucket

Post by Blabberbucket »

tbonesullivan wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:45 am I wonder why they stopped using the Nickel Silver outers on Large Tenor and Bass trombones. I guess they just weren't selling? They still have them in the small bore configurations, though I can understand why it might not be cost effective to offer them anymore.

Shires and Rath still offer those as an an option. I do have a bass with a nickel outer slide, and i do feel that it balances out the red brass bell.
Nickel Silver has gotten significantly more expensive and harder to source over the past few years.
David Paul - Brass Repair/Manufacture
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

I did a 525 /547 brass to nickel conversion on an Edwards. Kevin Powers Michigan Musical did the work.
I absolutely love it.
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile

Return to “Modification & Repair”