Baltimore Brass... Trombone Geek?

All about making money.
hyperbolica

Baltimore Brass... Trombone Geek?

Post by hyperbolica »

My saved link to the Baltimore Brass site now redirects to Trombone Geek. Lots of blog and article info. Anyone else see this?

Here's the link that auto redirects:

http://www.baltimorebrass.net/index.php?cat=3
Last edited by hyperbolica on Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HawaiiTromboneGuy

Re: Baltimore Brass... Trombone Geek?

Post by HawaiiTromboneGuy »

https://www.baltimorebrasscompany.com/

Seems to be working fine for me? :idk:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Drew A.
Professional bum.
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

Check the address - the OP's link had .net instead of .com

That's why it didn't work. Glad to know it's not just me that makes those mistakes!

JS
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

CalgaryTbone wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:33 pm Check the address - the OP's link had .net instead of .com

That's why it didn't work. Glad to know it's not just me that makes those mistakes!

JS
That was a bookmarked link I had to Balt Brass from their previous site. It was a valid link, and now it's redirecting, so there's some relationship between the new site and Balt Brass.
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

Sometimes companies will pay for a few other similar domain names so that people will be directed to their site if they type in a similar address. In essence, it is a valid alternative, but if the company doesn't renew their ownership at some point, someone else can purchase the rights to the other address. Trombone geek may have even done that on purpose - the domain name became available and they grabbed it so some traffic going to Baltimore Brass would end up on their site instead. It's a way of finding new users, and getting "clicks" to make their site come up higher in the list when you Google "brass instruments" or something similar. I know my orchestra has a couple of domain names that will send you straight to the site, and when I served on the local Union executive board, we did the same. Some people look for the opportunity to grab a similar domain name, and then if they get it will offer to sell it to the company that has the original name (for a substantial profit, of course).

Jim Scott
KWL

Post by KWL »

With their announcement that Pete Francis is now back at Baltimore Brass, I dug out his business card I picked up when I had him work on my 73H in 2019. Indeed, their URL was baltimorebrass.net back then.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pfrancis

Post by pfrancis »

Hey all, the new website has been in place for a bit (www.baltimorebrasscompany.com), don’t recall exactly when it launched but we maintained both domains for a time. As for repairs, I am back at the shop working on all manor of brass instruments but of course enjoy trombone projects more than most other types!

Business address and phone number are still correct on the above card, emails have been updated. Most up to date: [email protected]
GrecoTrombone

Post by GrecoTrombone »

pfrancis wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:38 pm Hey all, the new website has been in place for a bit (www.baltimorebrasscompany.com), don’t recall exactly when it launched but we maintained both domains for a time. As for repairs, I am back at the shop working on all manor of brass instruments but of course enjoy trombone projects more than most other types!

Business address and phone number are still correct on the above card, emails have been updated. Most up to date: [email protected]
We should probably get .net back, huh? 🤣
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Yeah, basically someone scooped up their old domain name when they changed. Not exactly an ethical business move IMHO, as their site is an ecommerce site that they sell things on.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

I've heard of some ethically challenged people who scoop up domain names that are similar to the one used by a large business or a celebrity and then offer to sell it to them at a huge mark-up. They will then allow a business/person who is associated with a product or philosophy that would be offensive to most people to have that domain name if the celebrity, etc. doesn't cough up.

At least this is a brass instrument related site that is using it now.

JS
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

It's a cheap way to get a lot more web traffic than you deserve. And yes, the real Balt Brass should have hung on to the .net domain. But it could have been worse. There are probably at least a few people like me who had old links still in their bookmarks.

Return to “Music Business”