Identifying a Conn Mouthpiece

KWL

Identifying a Conn Mouthpiece

Post by KWL »

I recently pulled out the Conn mouthpiece that was delivered with my 73H in 1969. The only marking is the word “Remington.” Nothing else. How do I identify what it is? The Conn Loyalist site doesn’t seem to have information on mouthpieces.

I’ve never played on the piece. The rim looks pretty fat. The bore looks smaller and the cup narrower than what I used then (Kraft Giardinelli) and what I’m using now (Bach 1-1/2G).

Beyond identifying a model number how do I go about measuring the cup depth and throat considering I have only a standard set of digital calipers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CheeseTray

Re: Identifying a Conn Mouthpiece

Post by CheeseTray »

These were included with new 8H and 88Hs for a long time - designed in conjunction with Emory Remington, longtime trombone instructor at Eastman. In the heyday of large bore Conn tenors being used in orchestras, many players used them. It's a mid-sized, large bore tenor mouthpiece with a shank cut to fit the Conn taper. It has a very round rim and is not particularly forgiving if you're out of shape.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Oh, this brings back very bad memories from high school. I used one of these for jr high and high school. The rim was very round and cut into my lips. The cup diameter was small. Anything I changed to from this was an improvement. I went to 5G and then to some Schilke 51 variant. I really struggled through my time on the Remington mouthpiece.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

KWL wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:13 pm I recently pulled out the Conn mouthpiece that was delivered with my 73H in 1969. The only marking is the word “Remington.” Nothing else. How do I identify what it is? The Conn Loyalist site doesn’t seem to have information on mouthpieces.

Beyond identifying a model number how do I go about measuring the cup depth and throat considering I have only a standard set of digital calipers.
The 73H is a 0.562" bore bass trombone. I'm surprised that it was supplied with the "Remington" mouthpiece - which as noted was designed for large-bore (0.547") tenor trombones, with a shank to fit Conn large-bore trombones of that era. The mouthpiece that was normally provided with Conn bass trombones those years was probably a Connstellation 3B - a larger piece, also with a "Remington" shank, but more suitable for bass trombones.

For what it's worth, the large tenor trombone "Remington 5CL" mouthpiece (probably yours) had a Cup I.D. of ~25.65mm (1.010") and a (rather small) Throat Diameter of 6.15mm (0.242"). I have no idea how to measure "Cup Depth" (whatever that is on a tapered item), but the "Remington" mouthpiece is more funnel-shaped (V-type rather than bowl-type) than most. My 1972 Conn 88H came with one of these mouthpieces; I could never get along with it. Finally ended up playing for years on a Schilke 51.
KWL

Post by KWL »

CheeseTray wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:28 pm These were included with new 8H and 88Hs for a long time - designed in conjunction with Emory Remington, longtime trombone instructor at Eastman. In the heyday of large bore Conn tenors being used in orchestras, many players used them. It's a mid-sized, large bore tenor mouthpiece with a shank cut to fit the Conn taper. It has a very round rim and is not particularly forgiving if you're out of shape.
So the “Remington” is the model not a designation of the shank as I had assumed. I should go back to that music store in Norfolk and complain about getting the wrong mouthpiece. 😁

Thanks to all for the bits of information. Now I can set it aside to use as a paperweight.
CBlair

Post by CBlair »

I received one with my 73h, too. I don't think I ever used it and it sits in a little box.

Being from the Chicago area, I went to the Loop to buy a Schilke 58 as instructed my my then teacher "High Note" Ernie Passoja. (A nickname well-deserved.) He later put me on the Schilke 60. Despite all the comments about mouthpieces here over the years, it's hard not to put a Schilke on a Conn bass trombone. I currently use their 59.

Return to “Mouthpieces”