Oberloh

Bach5G

Oberloh

Post by Bach5G »

I am thinking about taking a slide down to Oberloh in Seattle. The shop has had a great reputation over the years but I’m curious about what is currently going on. The website doesn’t appear to have been updated in years. I sent an email but did not receive a reply. I telephoned and got voicemail. The message was that he is a one-man shop (I thought it was a slightly bigger operation than that) and that callers could leave their name and number (which I did).

Is he still in business? It’s kind of hard to tell.
tbonesullivan

Re: Oberloh

Post by tbonesullivan »

Definitely still in business, and posts on Facebook regularly. I thought there were several people working there, but things may have changed over the pandemic.

Right now is REPAIR HELL time for just about every shop, as this is when schools need their instruments back working for the start of the school year, and a lot of students have their horns being sent in as well, so right now I would wager all resources are probably being used for repairs.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Thanks, David.
octavposaune

Post by octavposaune »

I had him machine a part for me last week (small job that doesnt fit in my lathe). Dan is around, his other guys retired, so one man is right..

Benn
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

Oberloh did a phenomenal job rebuilding the valves on my tuba. It did take him ~11 months to get through the process. There's a huge backlog and not a lot of people with the specialized skills he has, so expect delays.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I visited his shop recently. Impressive guy. Small shop that is absolutely crammed full of stuff.
Slidehamilton

Post by Slidehamilton »

A really great slide guy is Bruce Belo as well. He's in Southern California.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Slidehamilton wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:04 pm A really great slide guy is Bruce Belo as well. He's in Southern California.
He is TOP CLASS. However, do NOT bring your horn in for service if it is in a gig bag. I have heard you will get quite an earful.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

As you should -- "mai sliwde aww bwoken -- pwease help meee"

*Sees gig bag*
disapprove-julie-andrews.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

The Slide Doctor is exceptional with slides (www.slidedr.com) He has a name for people who catty their horns in a gig bag: RETURN CUSTOMERS
===============================================
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
===============================================
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

tbonesullivan wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:56 am
Slidehamilton wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:04 pm A really great slide guy is Bruce Belo as well. He's in Southern California.
He is TOP CLASS. However, do NOT bring your horn in for service if it is in a gig bag. I have heard you will get quite an earful.
While you're getting that earful, Bruce is also rubbing his hands in glee, because he knows he can sell you a pricey slide job. Unless your slide is completely trashed, you'll walk away with an amazing slide (probably better than factory-fresh) and a thinner wallet (cash payment only)! :horror:
Beanett

Post by Beanett »

Does anyone have info about his ability to make custom parts?
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Call him.
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

Beanett wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:26 pm Does anyone have info about his ability to make custom parts?
He can, and does. Specifics about what you want him to make, how long it might take, and how much it'll cost can only be figured out by talking to him directly. He replies to Facebook messages with reasonable promptness.

Return to “Modification & Repair”