LT16M slide modification

Boneaphone

LT16M slide modification

Post by Boneaphone »

I have a 1983 LT16M that I would like to have the undersized slide crook replaced with a King 3B crook. There are lots of posts on this forum about this modification. My question is: Is this an exact fit or must slide width adjustments be made? Thanks for any information!
hornbuilder

Re: LT16M slide modification

Post by hornbuilder »

A crook replacement involves removing the existing crook, and undoing both the outer handslide cross brace, and inner cross brace. Then the slide is reassembled with the new crook establishing the width of the slide.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

You might want to consider m/k drawing crook too. You can get a larger ID than Bach parts but get a dual radius and optionally in nickel. I have one that’s great.
pfrancis

Post by pfrancis »

Matthew is, as usual, right on with his comments. Even if it were to be “the same” width according to the manufacturer(s) it would be best to build the outer slide around the parameters of the replacement crook.

For what its worth, Yamaha also makes a crook that would be a suitable option. 891Z crooks are nickel and have actual ferrules, unlike the King crooks that are brass and have expanded ends where the ferrules would be.

I replaced my personal (Corp Era 16LTM) crook with the Yamaha crook and have been pleased with the result.
Boneaphone

Post by Boneaphone »

Thank you all. I obviously haven't talked to my Tech about this yet.
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

I had that modification done to 16M I had years ago. I also had the tuning slide crook replaced with a 3B one and the leadpipe pulled (I hate that short 16M leadpipe) and replaced it with a Kanstul H8.That horn blew so free and easy

Return to “Modification & Repair”