preludes and recessionals for quintet

hyperbolica

preludes and recessionals for quintet

Post by hyperbolica »

I'm looking forward a little here, but our quintet has been booked for a nice Easter job. We have to come up with a prelude and a recessional. I've got some out-there ideas (like a funky "I'll Fly Away" for an Easter recessional :amazed: - we might need a different church for that...)

Anyway, does the collective have any ideas for this? IMSLP seems to have a lot of stuff, but finding the appropriate stuff is kind of like you have to know what you're looking for before you can find it. Open to suggestions. Traditional and maybe a little non-traditional...
BrassSection

Re: preludes and recessionals for quintet

Post by BrassSection »

If the church has a song select subscription there is a lot of Christian music available there. It would be a starting point, but you’d have to make your own arrangements for your group.
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

Die Bagelsaddleleider for quintet?
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Daniel Speer: Die Bänkelsängerlieder Sonata No.29
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

The Bankel... is not specifically an Easter tune is it? We need tunes with a connection and a fanfarish triumphant sound. I'm hoping for a classical piece, but might have to settle for a more modern religious work. Selections from the Easter portion of The Messiah seem to be reserved for specific occasions. And something like The Lords Prayer by Mayotte might also have too specific a significance. Might have to settle for a special arrangement of an Easter hymn from a hymnal.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I played a lot of Easter gigs where we didn't have specifically Easter tunes. The Handel Procession (See How The Conquering Hero Comes) works great, as does Bankelsangerlieder. You are going to play Jesus Christ is Ris'n Today enough that you probably won't want to see it again until next year.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

:lol: Almost but not quite. I didn't recognize the name, but I definitely recognize the tune as one of those easter things.

This one is more like it:

I think I'm going to wind up going the safe route:

and a medley by Todd Marchand

AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

BGuttman wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:33 am You are going to play Jesus Christ is Ris'n Today enough that you probably won't want to see it again until next year.
Facts. :clever:
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Get the Canadian Brass wedding book. It is full of easy processional/recessional music that most folks can sight read.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I highly recommend the Aardworks books. They are so easy to play and sound so good. Appropriate for Easter and many other church and wedding settings.

https://www.aardworks.com/product/weddi ... ollection/

https://www.aardworks.com/product/weddi ... een-books/

This playlist is essentially the whole Blue Book, with a few tunes replaced by the green book:

Of all the things I've played in a BQ, difficult suites and fancy stuff written specifically for BQ, these books are what people will come up and compliment the group on without fail. "oh I didn't know brass could sound like that." "Oh I love Mozart/ Bach" etc. In concerts people clap and leave. At weddings or ceremonies people don't know what they want to hear and aren't there for the music. It's not the focus. And then they come up during a break when you play these books and say that they loved it.

Return to “Performance”