Why bass trombone

Spin your yarns here.
BrassSection

Why bass trombone

Post by BrassSection »

Just curious: I’m sort of old school, first trombone I ever saw with an F attachment was one fellow got one our senior year in high school. In trombone playing I’ve only ever played a tenor, it seems bass is very popular, and owed to my lack of higher education on things trombone I just wondered if it’s just nice to have, or required for much of the music that’s being played. Never had a desire to play anything but tenor myself, it’s works perfect for my needs. Considered playing in the local community band, but raising your own beef and pork does limit my free time. (Seems like there’s always work to do down on the farm) I would probable lean towards euph for the band, most comfortable with that horn when I actually have music in front of me…but unfortunately when I’m using music it’s most often on trumpet in an ensemble. Maybe it’s time to move out of my comfort zone and play the trombone with sheet music! Last time I did that I was playing a second trumpet part during practice to help a rusty player in an Easter ensemble, before actually playing the trombone part. My trumpet playing grandson commandeered my euph for that ensemble.
harrisonreed

Re: Why bass trombone

Post by harrisonreed »

I think of the bass as a separate instrument. It doesn't sound like a tenor, the mouthpiece is very different from tenor, and it can play stuff with relative ease below the staff that is next to impossible on tenor.

Hear the difference for yourself
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

Why? Because once every 15 years or so you might be allowed to do something like this:

https://youtu.be/qSYlETbQiDY?feature=shared

Cheers,
Andy
vetsurginc

Post by vetsurginc »

Sweet! And yes😁
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Bass trombone is kind of a cult. It takes a different sort of person. I've heard Brian Hecht say that as a college tenor player, he wasn't going to amount to much, so his teacher switched him to bass, and the rest is history.

A fair bit of the time bass trombone music in ensembles is just a part for 3rd or 4th (tenor) trombone, but increasingly, parts are written specifically for double trigger bass bone, with moving lines below the staff. Double valve bass bones can play low C and B below the staff that can't (easily) be played on large tenors, and are typically larger in several dimensions. It really is a different instrument. It takes a different approach to play it, with the larger bore and extra weight. It has a different sound, and different equipment. And with 2 triggers there are a lot more mobility options for stuff in and below the staff.

If you're looking for a bass trombone, it's increasingly hard to find them from the 1960s, but more recent ones, especially from the 90s on should be available used. There is such a history of great tenors of many sizes that they are easy to find, but the basses don't have that strong legacy.

I'm a tenor player, but do double on bass, mostly double out of necessity, as there's a lack of bass bone players in this area.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

elmsandr wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:20 am Why? Because once every 15 years or so you might be allowed to do something like this:

https://youtu.be/qSYlETbQiDY?feature=shared

Cheers,
Andy
Played La Forza last season. Did not get to do that. Tried to, but that wasn't the sound the conductor wanted.

Honestly, I ask myself this question a lot. I do not have a good answer.
BrassSection

Post by BrassSection »

As far as playing below the staff, that’s rare for me unless the tuba is out. Generally D below the staff is as low as I play, do that on my euph, which is generally my horn of choice anyhow for songs that I desire to hit that note. (Bass guitar playing grandson generally doesn’t want me hogging the low notes!) On trombone I do occasionally play the low E, but that’s rare. It’s not unusual to play a (concert) low Eb on trumpet, easy to hit with 3rd valve slide extended and slight lipping. Use that when as a song builds and I jump up two more octaves as song progresses. Usually it’s the more lively song that trumpet works best for. Trombone gets more the more traditional music, sometimes with a jazzy edge, then the euph and French horn are used when things mellow out.

Return to “Tangents”