Bolero

How and what to teach and learn.
dorutzzu92

Bolero

Post by dorutzzu92 »

Hello guys
How do you articulate the High Ds fron bolero?
What syllables do you use to do clear High Ds from Bolero

And how do you aproach to practice the Solo from Bolero?

Thank you!
Vegasbound

Re: Bolero

Post by Vegasbound »

There are many ways to play the solo

Check out Matt Gee ‘s YouTube channel, he played the bolero 6 different ways in 3 days with the RPO, and remember they are all live in concert

dorutzzu92

Post by dorutzzu92 »

Thank you, but my question was for the tehnically stuff, syllables etc. about the tehnique, thank you!
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

dorutzzu92 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:00 am Thank you, but my question was for the tehnically stuff, syllables etc. about the tehnique, thank you!
My answer was to show that there is no one way to play it, if you did watch all six of Matt’s versions they are all different.

For the “technical stuff” have a lesson on Bolero with a good teacher
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Vegasbound wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:35 am
dorutzzu92 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:00 am Thank you, but my question was for the tehnically stuff, syllables etc. about the tehnique, thank you!
My answer was to show that there is no one way to play it, if you did watch all six of Matt’s versions they are all different.

For the “technical stuff” have a lesson on Bolero with a good teacher
As to practicing it, one player in his student days used to put on a recording, sit as if in the orchestra, trombone on the stand and pick the horn up 4 bars before the entry, he repeatedly did this until the solo was second nature and he nailed it every time.

First time he did it for real was as a dep, at La Scala….and he nailed it!
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

A long time ago, I had a lesson with Byron Peebles, and he advocated thinking of the syllable "eee". He wrote E.T. in my part, the idea being to think "eee" in your intake breath, and "teee" when starting the note (although I would maybe change that to "deee"). I think if your mouth is too open and you aren't already "set" for the first note, it's not going to be reliable. As for the Dbs, if you start a solid Bb and keep the air moving as you move in legato up to the Db, it's a lot harder to miss the Dbs. Think of the musical phrase rather than, "Oh no, here comes the Db!"
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
dorutzzu92

Post by dorutzzu92 »

Thank you, i have some problems to separate the D's, i keep the air moving but the separetion of the D's is not clear. I'm now doing kind of a Lu lu lu articulation, because if i do Ta Tu Ti, I'm stoping the air...
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

What's wrong with du du du?
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Practice tonguing up in that range separately from trying to play Bolero. Triple and double tonguing, legato, will help to show you the tongue position required to be stable and reliable in that range. THEN you can apply it to Bolero.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
dorutzzu92

Post by dorutzzu92 »

Thank you very much for your help, and for the glissando from bb to Db how should i aproach it?
VJOFan

Post by VJOFan »

dorutzzu92 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:24 am Thank you very much for your help, and for the glissando from bb to Db how should i aproach it?
That also could be seen as a style question. If it is about style you're asking, do what you want based on knowledge of the piece and what the composer was thinking when he wrote it.

For security, I learned how to do it by glissing down to the Bb. Once I knew where that was on the slide and my face, I was able to reverse it. I stay more in the Db set.
dorutzzu92

Post by dorutzzu92 »

Very usefull information, thank you all!
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

Try starting the first note with a bit of extra mouth volume. This will prompt your chops to compensate for a higher range. Then moving to your ee for the Db may come a bit easier, because the chops are already ready for the range.

To tongue the highs, you'll already be in ee, so try simply collapsing that space to the roof of your mouth, and then reverse back to original, and start the reverse on the time of articulation. The rapid restoration of the small volume in the same shape is what keeps the note stable. This is a tonguing that I have not seen written in any book anywhere, but it's simple and it works. (It even works low.)

For the gliss, I'd try something else. It's about the dopiest sound in the whole world. But glisses by partials--down one, up another, from bottom of the horn to the top and back--should solve that problem nicely, if you must pay the thing. But start in the middle of the horn and get to the top and bottom over a few weeks. You may find it's all managing mouth volume along the way, at least I do.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”