Tonal and sound problems

William5555

Tonal and sound problems

Post by William5555 »

I am currently playing in my highschool jazz band and pep band and for the last few weeks my low b flat always makes an unintentional multiphonic noise and sounds like I am playing low b flat and the pedal B flat below it on my trombone. Does anyone know what could be causing the issue and/or any solutions to it?
WilliamLang

Re: Tonal and sound problems

Post by WilliamLang »

That sounds like a split tone - where your upper and lower lip vibrates at different speeds. I'd recommend making sure you're using equal pressure on the mouthpiece and to make sure your lower jaw isn't pushing out. If that doesn't fix it, a lesson with someone in person or online can be helpful. Best of luck!
William Lang
Interim Instructor, the University of Oklahoma
Stephens Horns Artist
Long Island Brass Artist
faculty, the Longy School of Music
founding member of loadbang
www.williamlang.org
William5555

Post by William5555 »

WilliamLang wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:33 pm That sounds like a split tone - where your upper and lower lip vibrates at different speeds. I'd recommend making sure you're using equal pressure on the mouthpiece and to make sure your lower jaw isn't pushing out. If that doesn't fix it, a lesson with someone in person or online can be helpful. Best of luck!
Okay thanks for the help!
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I'm only guessing without seeing it, but usually when that happens, the bottom lip is uncontrolled and coming out too far. Try pulling it in a little bit and firming it. That should clean up the sound.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
trombonedemon

Post by trombonedemon »

Playing uncontrollably can do that especially in marching band and pep band settings where dynamics and tonality isn't the main focus. Back to the basics. Like Doug said, firming up that embouchure should help, getting there by playing extremely slow long tones and lip slurs. Resting frequently between exercises.
Conn 112 H w/bored out rotors w/heavyweight caps, Sterling Silver Edward's B3 and Shires B3 leadpipe w/62H slide. Long Island Brass Comp Dimensions 29.5 inner rim .323 backbore solid silver lefreque
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

A good solution, have a lesson with Doug!

Return to “Performance”