6 3/4C vs Yamaha Nils Landgren

Leonardcaldera

6 3/4C vs Yamaha Nils Landgren

Post by Leonardcaldera »

I need a new mouthpiece for my small bore that with a larger rim than a 7C but as large as a 5G.
Im interested in this mouthpieces, which are the differences and how does a 6 3/4C compares to a Yamaha Nils Landgren mouthpiece, they seem identical though the yamaha seems to be deeper and not as bright or reliable for high notes.
Posaunus

Re: 6 3/4C vs Yamaha Nils Landgren

Post by Posaunus »

Yamaha Nils Landgren is a bit larger & deeper than a typical Bach 6¾C (the Bach pieces vary!), and with a larger throat that makes it easier (for me) to play, with a nice full sound. I don't recall any problems playing high notes.
You may have a different experience.
Leonardcaldera

Post by Leonardcaldera »

Posaunus wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:49 pm Yamaha Nils Landgren is a bit larger & deeper than a typical Bach 6¾C (the Bach pieces vary!), and with a larger throat that makes it easier (for me) to play, with a nice full sound. I don't recall any problems playing high notes.
You may have a different experience.
Thank you, is the throat and sound comparable with the 6 1/2 AL? It seems that being deeper contributes to look more like that mouthpiece rather than the 6 3/4C
Trombola2112

Post by Trombola2112 »

Based off my examples that i have, the Nils lies somewhere in between the Bach 6.75c and a Bach 6.5al. The rim size seems closer to the 6.75c, but the cup/that closer to the 6.5al.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

And the Nils Throat is also in between:
6¾C - 5.85mm
Nils - 6.25mm (Goldilocks)
6½AL - 6.63mm

But I'm also aware that not everyone likes the Nils Landgren piece.
:idk:
ajeasley

Post by ajeasley »

The rim contour on the Nils is a bit polarizing. It's on the big end of small.

I had one for awhile that I got along pretty well with, but eventually went the Doug Elliott route to keep the same rim shape/size when switching between big and small tenor.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

ajeasley wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:00 am The rim contour on the Nils is a bit polarizing. It's on the big end of small.

I had one for awhile that I got along pretty well with, but eventually went the Doug Elliott route to keep the same rim shape/size when switching between big and small tenor.
Perhaps this is why the Nils Landgren, which I like but don't love, is no longer my go-to tenor mouthpiece. :idk:
I'm also not a big fan of Bach mouthpiece rims.
Doug Elliott's rims feel comfortable to me. :good:
Trombola2112

Post by Trombola2112 »

About sums up my experience. Looking at trying a Doug Elliot set up myself since I swap between small and large tenor frequently.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Trombola2112 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:58 pm About sums up my experience. Looking at trying a Doug Elliot set up myself since I swap between small and large tenor frequently.
Doug can make you a shank that fits your Olds Studio. Magic!
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

The Nils Landgren mouthpiece is very good (for me). Before I found that one I played a Bach 6 3/4 C for years. Both these are good. The Nils Landgren is a bit more color (for me) but both very close on the lips. Both has great high register as well as great low register. Other mouthpieces that are very good and comfortable on lead (if you like the previous mentioned) are Conn 3 and Bach 11C. They are slightly smaller in rimsize and a bit more shallow and therefore not the same in low register but great high notes and lots of colors there. Try them. You might like them. The 6 1/2 AL is good too, but more work on lead (what I think).

/Tom
pjanda1

Post by pjanda1 »

I recently picked up a Nils and love it on my 32H. I had mainly been using a Yamaha 48. The cup on the Nils is very similar, but the rim is a bit smaller (narrower ID) and rounder. The throat is a bit smaller as advertised, but still not generous in the grand scheme of similar sized mouthpieces.

The Nils gives me what I love about the 48H, but with a bit more ease and sparkle up high and virtually no loss down low. Great articulations and "core" to the sound. I slightly prefer the rim size and shape on my favorite 48 (a bit shallower than others I've tried), but the Nils is overall a better suited small bore mouthpiece, and frankly, the best I've tried on the horn. I don't think that is coincidental, because the 32H has markedly similar specs to the Yamaha Nils.

6 3/4 sized mouthpieces are very different from 7Cs, even though they aren't far off in size. I've never played a 7C that I liked. You should definitely try a couple of 6 3/4Cs and the Nils if you have the chance. And maybe a 6.5A (not AL). And some good 11Cs.

Paul

Return to “Mouthpieces”