Get-A-Grip

zaidmkhan

Get-A-Grip

Post by zaidmkhan »

Anybody know how long the sheridan grip takes to arrive? First, I had troubles on their website so I called him and he said he would send it out to me. Been almost a week and I’m not sure now.
TheFilthOfFrank

Re: Get-A-Grip

Post by TheFilthOfFrank »

It took a month to get my grip.
zaidmkhan

Post by zaidmkhan »

Oh wow didn’t know it would take that long
nebtrombone

Post by nebtrombone »

I bought one of the Calderpip Grips from the UK.
It was a good price, product and it took fewer than two weeks to arrive.
scott

Post by scott »

I also have had great success with Calderpip Grips. Custom colours, superior stitching. Ships to Canada, less than a month to boot.
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

I had a good experience with Calderpips too, Though Newell at Sheridan is also a good guy and I like him ... Doug
Boneuphtoner

Post by Boneuphtoner »

Newell's website was having problems taking orders a few weeks ago, but it appears to have been fixed now. I ordered a Get-a-Grip on the website, and it came in less than a week.
Slydeguy

Post by Slydeguy »

Has anyone had any luck recently contacting Mr. Sheridan to place an order? His website is down and emails to [email protected] bounce back as undeliverable.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

You might well try Jonathan Pippen.
Molefsky

Post by Molefsky »

Sheridan scammed me on a horn purchase last year. I'm not sure he's still in full operation.
M. Olefsky
Calle Soul Salsa
Arkansas Musicworks Brass Band
ZacharyThornton

Post by ZacharyThornton »

Molefsky wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:17 am Sheridan scammed me on a horn purchase last year. I'm not sure he's still in full operation.
Mind sharing the details about that?
Molefsky

Post by Molefsky »

I don't mind at all at this point.

My primary instrument was stolen out of my vehicle in spring of 2022. I was able to borrow an instrument from a former student who was marching Bluecoats in the summer (leaving his horn available) until I could get to ITF and try some stuff. Did just that and opted to buy from a dealer (Sheridan) as I'd purchased my previous horn from him 15 years prior. I ordered a 7YM screwbell with a standard TW47 yellow brass slide, thayer valve, with a flat Marco Magi screwbell case. Had me send him a cashier's check etc. Horn arrives and it's not a screwbell, the case is all marred up, doesn't appear to be new from the scuffing etc. The bell has acid bleeds along the seem (not the rim) and the leadpipes are all 1's and a 1.5 (not what we'd discussed). I let him know immediately and he just seemed confused.

It was around this time that my wife and I had a stillborn daughter and the immediacy of getting this resolved took a distant backseat to focusing on my wife's recovery and our son. We traded a few messages but eventually I just contacted S.E. Shires themselves. They informed me that Sheridan was not even a Shires dealer anymore and they basically couldn't help me aside from letting me pay to have my bell cut and offering me a discount on a screwbell case... As of the writing of this I'd agreed to having my bell cut, at cost, and they have yet to respond to multiple emails regarding how to get my bell to them for the work. I'm leaving for an international tour (the initial reason I wanted the screwbell) and I'm not optimistic that Shires will be able (or willing I guess?) to get the work done in time for me to leave in November. Last week I discovered significant red rot coming through the outer slide of the horn I've only had for a year. Took it to an experienced tech and had him scope it to confirm, which he did and then some, so the whole thing may be moot soon.

I used to be a big advocate for Shires and then Eastman Shires; have had students buy tenors, basses, and euphs. This has definitely changed my view of the company. I'm displeased, feel ripped off, and I'm not sure what else to say about it.

Let me know if I've left anything out. I have screenshots etc.
M. Olefsky
Calle Soul Salsa
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

Well I guess we now know the reason for Newells slowness at least - he was not well. Elswhere on the site you will see the posting from his daughter that he has passed away. I aways liked Newell and found him to be honourable and knowledgable and I think his health would explain the concerns here. RIP Newell
ZacharyThornton

Post by ZacharyThornton »

I just saw a post from Ben van Dijk. Very sad.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

More sad news.
Molefsky

Post by Molefsky »

Yes, very sad to see this about Newell. To be clear, I purchased from him over a year ago. Perhaps he was in better health then but maybe he wasn't. Shires reached out after this post and is in the process of making it right. I've been waiting until it's all done so I can follow up. I wasn't expecting the news about Newell. Our thoughts are with his family.
M. Olefsky
Calle Soul Salsa

Return to “Accessories”