#3-48 rotor arm stop screws?

Estraven

#3-48 rotor arm stop screws?

Post by Estraven »

Is there a reliable source for them? Votaw’s is out of stock, and both of the Mouthpiece Express screws are metric.
hornbuilder

Re: #3-48 rotor arm stop screws?

Post by hornbuilder »

Worst case scenario, go to the hardware store and buy a 3-48 screw, and a washer. Or, McMaster Car.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
Estraven

Post by Estraven »

hornbuilder wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:02 pm Worst case scenario, go to the hardware store and buy a 3-48 screw, and a washer. Or, McMaster Car.
Yup, I have a bag of those. I’m looking for the real thing.
Blabberbucket

Post by Blabberbucket »

I believe 3-48 is a Conn French Horn sized screw. Any repair supplier should have something in that size. Maybe you can have your local repair shop order some for you?
David Paul - Brass Repair/Manufacture
Estraven

Post by Estraven »

Blabberbucket wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:20 am I believe 3-48 is a Conn French Horn sized screw. Any repair supplier should have something in that size. Maybe you can have your local repair shop order some for you?
Oh, the stories I could share here about my “local repair shops” [a. k. a. public school rental instrument collision repair depots].

Suffice it to say that I prefer to do as much of my own maintenance / repair work as possible.
Blabberbucket

Post by Blabberbucket »

Estraven wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:01 am
Blabberbucket wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:20 am I believe 3-48 is a Conn French Horn sized screw. Any repair supplier should have something in that size. Maybe you can have your local repair shop order some for you?
Oh, the stories I could share here about my “local repair shops” [a. k. a. public school rental instrument collision repair depots].

Suffice it to say that I prefer to do as much of my own maintenance / repair work as possible.
Whatever the case, they have access to the parts you need and will probably sell them to you.
David Paul - Brass Repair/Manufacture
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Yes, the OP’s response seems very silly to me.

Solution: Repair technicians have the parts.

Response: I don’t do business with repair technicians.

Well…..best of luck to you.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Not all repair techs are as competent or helpful as the ones who frequent our forum, and not everyone lives in an area where there are a lot of options. I've got several excellent techs within about an hour's drive, but I wouldn't take a busted Bundy to my local music store, and I wouldn't be surprised to hear that said store has a policy in place that they can't just sell parts, they have to install them.

Have you tried Hickey's? This looks like it might be the right part:
https://www.hickeys.com/music/brass/tru ... -screw.php
Estraven

Post by Estraven »

John

I did see that earlier, I will investigate. Thank you!

I happen to be in Albuquerque NM at the moment, so I took my problem to the tech at Baum’s Music because they are close to the KOA where we are overnighting. After digging through his parts stash, he did find a screw of the correct thread size (but the head flatter than the factory part, and also is a bit too large in diameter). I can work with it.

I was wrong about the thread size, it’s bigger than #3. Ill do a proper measurement job when I get home.

At least I didnt have to drive 100 miles round trip for it.
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:20 pm Yes, the OP’s response seems very silly to me.

Solution: Repair technicians have the parts.

Response: I don’t do business with repair technicians.

Well…..best of luck to you.
LOL
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

Blabberbucket wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:53 pm

Whatever the case, they have access to the parts you need and will probably sell them to you.
In some areas it's not that easy to talk to or even see the tech. You drop the horn off at the music store and they ship or deliver to the tech's shop, and let you know when the horn is back. (If I were a tech, I might be way too busy to spend a lot of time at the counter chatting. <smiley>)

Return to “Modification & Repair”