Conn 88H mouthpiece issue

Hudsonband

Conn 88H mouthpiece issue

Post by Hudsonband »

I have a 1966 Conn 88H. All of my mouthpieces (Schilke 52, 53 and Laskey 4G) do not go into the receiver as far as they do on other large bore tenors I have owned (Bach, Benge, Shires). This results in the tuning slide having to be pushed in all the way to get close to being in tune. Does any mouthpiece manufacturer make a shorter shank mouthpiece that would correct this problem?
BGuttman

Re: Conn 88H mouthpiece issue

Post by BGuttman »

Your Conn has an odd taper for the mouthpiece receiver. We often refer to it as the Remington shank although it was used in basses from the period as well.

The large shank Conn Remington (originally supplied with the horn, about Bach 5G size) had this shank. There are Bach mouthpieces with this shank, usually with an R stamped under or next to the size. Schilke had two shank lengths; the longer shank had a dual taper to fit the Remington as well as standard shanks. Doug Elliott offers Remington backbores for his mouthpieces.

I suppose if you are really desperate, you could get the leadpipe changed, but this may change the playing characteristics of a prized horn (and not for the better).
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I think I have heard about the same horn before. Did you post about it on the old Trombone Forum? Or maybe somebody else who had the horn before you.

I suspect there is some sort of an adapter stuck in the receiver.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

Remington taper doesn't explain this situation. A standard large shank fits at or slightly beyond the correct depth in a Remington receiver. (They'll wobble, as Morse is a faster taper rate, but that's a separate issue.)

Either there's an adapter or other Thing in the way, it's bunged up with dirt/corrosion, or the ferrule has been dented. Or the receiver end of the leadpipe was cut short before installation, in which case the insertion depth would appear short but acoustically there wouldn't really be a problem.

How does it play? All things being equal "mouthpiece not going in far enough" usually means obviously tight/stuffy...
Hudsonband

Post by Hudsonband »

It actually plays very well. I just had it in the repair shop and they replaced inner and outer tubes, venturi, and handslide crook.
Hudsonband

Post by Hudsonband »

You were right. I just contacted my repair person and she says that she can deal with the problem.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Hudsonband wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:11 pm You were right. I just contacted my repair person and she says that she can deal with the problem.
So wait, what is "the problem"? If you just had a slide rebuild, it should not have ANY problems, especially if the leadpipe / venturi was one of the things replaced.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone

Return to “Mouthpieces”