New on Trombone, Bach 7C or Yamaha 48?

Ramardpenovi

New on Trombone, Bach 7C or Yamaha 48?

Post by Ramardpenovi »

Hello everyone, im new to this forum, and im relatively new to playing trombone, all this time i played guitar, but since 2 years ago i started playing the trombone.
Last week i bought my first decent student horn and it came with a Yamaha 48 Mouthpiece. Over the last 2 years i played a Bach 7C mouthpiece which i was recommended.
Im wondering if i should play the mouthpiece that came with the instrument or the one play now.
I dont know anything about mouthpieces so to me they look fairly the same, at least physically. The only differences i can notice right away is that the 48 sounds WAY darker than the 7C, also the 48 seems to sound louder or fuller, especially on low range, And the 7C high range sounds better and more clear. If thats correct, but other than that they seem the same.
Like i said i dont know anything about mouthpieces but any opinion would help me a lot. :idea:
Burgerbob

Re: New on Trombone, Bach 7C or Yamaha 48?

Post by Burgerbob »

Whichever one is more comfortable for you at the moment. The 48 is larger than the 7C, which could be good or bad for you in this stage of playing.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
AtomicClock

Post by AtomicClock »

Either one is fine. I find switching to be fairly disruptive, so I like to stick with the same mouthpiece when I can.

What type of music do you make? Or hope to make in the future? Rock? Jazz? Orchestral?
Ramardpenovi

Post by Ramardpenovi »

Burgerbob wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:56 pm Whichever one is more comfortable for you at the moment. The 48 is larger than the 7C, which could be good or bad for you in this stage of playing.
Thanks for answering, I like the sound of the 7C (especially on high range), i do feel that the 48 is larger but i dont know in detail how mouthpieces affect playing. Like i said, i feel that the 48 produces a fuller tone and improves low range, but i feel like the high range sounds meh, like it lacks the impact of the 7C. I ve read somehwere that larger mouthpieces make that you crack less notes and makes tonguing easier. In regards to what i feel on my mouth, the 7C feels familiar but small, the 48 feels like im blowing through a deep hole in which if i play for 30min i will be very tierd.
Ramardpenovi

Post by Ramardpenovi »

AtomicClock wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:58 pm Either one is fine. I find switching to be fairly disruptive, so I like to stick with the same mouthpiece when I can.

What type of music do you make? Or hope to make in the future? Rock? Jazz? Orchestral?
Thanks for answering! Yeah its probably a bad idea to switch in between mouthpieces, but i got the 48 new so i wanted to give it a try without failing on the attempt.
I play mostly jazz and latin, but someday i hope to be able to play on a big band.
cb56

Post by cb56 »

It's really your decision. You've described the two mouthpieces accurately. The 7c has a shallower cup and the rim is slightly narrower and a bit rounder. 48 deeper cup and slightly flatter and wider rim.
For the music you play I would use the 7c. It will cut through loud rhythm sections and be less tiring to play in the upper range..
Both can be used.. the 48 is a smaller version of the Bach 6 1/2al and several jazz, rock players use mouthpieces in that range.
I'd say play them both with your band and choose the one you like best.
JeffBone44

Post by JeffBone44 »

Judging by the music you play, I would stick with the 7C for now. You seem to like it more overall than the 48, and the 7C gives you the sound and response that you want.

If the 7C still feels small and a little restrictive in a year or two after practicing and getting better, maybe others here can suggest a mouthpiece for you that's in between that and the 48 in size. Or perhaps you might even grow in the 48.
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB »

Ramardpenovi wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:21 am
Thanks for answering, I like the sound of the 7C (especially on high range), i do feel that the 48 is larger but i dont know in detail how mouthpieces affect playing. Like i said, i feel that the 48 produces a fuller tone and improves low range, but i feel like the high range sounds meh, like it lacks the impact of the 7C. I ve read somehwere that larger mouthpieces make that you crack less notes and makes tonguing easier. In regards to what i feel on my mouth, the 7C feels familiar but small, the 48 feels like im blowing through a deep hole in which if i play for 30min i will be very tierd.
[/quote]

Yes. All of the above ^^
You might like a mouthpiece in between those two extremes.
Many small bore horn players like the Bach 7 (no C). Deeper cup than the 7C. Plays bigger than the 7C. Another popular one is the King 21 with Coin Edge. Similar rim size and deep cup as the Bach 7, but with a lighter feel. Used examples are listed in the "classified" section of this forum.

Return to “Mouthpieces”