Bach Holst Fugue a la gigue

mfellows821

Bach Holst Fugue a la gigue

Post by mfellows821 »

I just received my trombone 1 part to this old Boosey and Hawks arrangement and the trombone 1 and trombone 2
parts are on the same page and almost impossible to decipher which player plays which notes. There is a new arrangement but it left the two parts intertwined as well. Has anyone else encountered this piece and potentially resolved by separating them manually?
bitbckt

Re: Bach Holst Fugue a la gigue

Post by bitbckt »

I’m not sure what you mean - they’re divisi and difficult to read, or?
flotrb

Post by flotrb »

I believe the general rule of thumb is: stems up (1st trb), stems down (2nd trb). If the intention is for only "one player", it is usually indicated as such. When all else fails, ask your conductor.
Hope this helps...
(Trust...but verify)
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

I think the OP is hoping that some has already gone to the trouble of creating separate parts. Some of those old Trombone 1/2 combined parts are pretty dense.

I'm looking at the score right now on Youtube

I suspect the issue is some interlocking parts (like what happens just before rehearsal number 3)? It's kinda unclear who is supposed to just play the downbeats and who is supposed to play all three notes of the triplet - looks to me like maybe it was intended for the two parts to trade off? If I were playing the part, I would have the first trombone play the triplets in the odd bars and the downbeats in the even bars and the second do the opposite. It's not as if anyone is going to be able to tell by listening which of you is doing what - you're sitting right next to each other.
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

The divisi is indicated by the stem direction.

Make a photocopy and highlight the notes that are yours.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
vetsurginc

Post by vetsurginc »

I manage these by scanning into ForScore. Then use the pencil tool to white out the unwanted notes, and save as a separate file appropriately marked. Do the same for the second part. Eazypeezy :good:

You can then print them if you want a paper to share.

Lots easier than writing out separate parts. (I'm lazy 🙄 )
mfellows821

Post by mfellows821 »

Thanks for the input. I am fully aware that the direction of the stems indicates which part is which.
Fully dense is an understatement on this part. Many notes have stems going both up and down indicating both parts are playing that note. The tempo is vivace and triplets are flying with eighth note rests everywhere. The part is hard enough with octave jumps throughout. I have magnified the part and highlighted my notes. Putting it into a software program and eliminating the competing notes is most likely the right way to resolve. I am not savvy enough to do it. My hope is someone else has already done so.
There is a new arrangement of this by Boosey. Alas they did nothing about this isssue
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

mfellows821 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:19 pmThere is a new arrangement of this by Boosey. Alas they did nothing about this isssue
No one gives a darn about the trombones...
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

vetsurginc wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:31 am I manage these by scanning into ForScore. Then use the pencil tool to white out the unwanted notes, and save as a separate file appropriately marked. Do the same for the second part. Eazypeezy :good:

You can then print them if you want a paper to share.

Lots easier than writing out separate parts. (I'm lazy 🙄 )
That’s a lot of work. However, I think it’s less effort than hand-copying a part, or using a music-writing app like Sibelius, etc., or even a smaller app like Notion.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
AtomicClock

Post by AtomicClock »

mfellows821 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:19 pm Putting it into a software program and eliminating the competing notes is most likely the right way to resolve. I am not savvy enough to do it.
Wite-out still works.
mfellows821

Post by mfellows821 »

I was fortunate enough to have a member message me and offer to put it into a musescore format separating the two parts. What a difference it made. I can now concentrate on playing what is in front of me rather than trying to decipher which notes I am supposed to play. A huge thanks goes out to a very generous member!

Return to “Composition, Arrangement, & Theory”