Best new mouthpiece for beginning jazz trombone students?

TromboneTiger

Best new mouthpiece for beginning jazz trombone students?

Post by TromboneTiger »

What is the best new mouthpiece for jazz band? I've been on jazz piano for the past few years, but I want to play trombone in my band as well. I currently use a vincent bach 5GS mouthpiece, is there a better one to use for the jazz band?
Kingfan

Re: Best new mouthpiece for beginning jazz trombone students?

Post by Kingfan »

What horn are you playing? That is helpful, but even given that there is no way to tell which mouthpiece will work for you. I play a Bach 5 sized mouthpiece on my jazz horns, but that won't work for most people. Doug Elliott is a member here and can do a Skype evaluation and recommend a mouthpiece based on YOU and your horn.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Kingfan wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:10 pm What horn are you playing?
OP's profile says YSL-448G; .547" bore, large shank mouthpiece
TromboneTiger wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:35 am What is the best new mouthpiece for jazz band? I've been on jazz piano for the past few years, but I want to play trombone in my band as well.
Would you be the only trombone or would you be playing in a section? If you're the only trombone, you can play whatever you like.
TromboneTiger

Post by TromboneTiger »

I have a Yamaha YSL-446G tenor
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

TromboneTiger wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:14 pm I have a Yamaha YSL-446G tenor
So your current trombone is 0.525" bore, 8½" bell, with F attachment. Probably not the optimal combination for playing jazz, no matter what mouthpiece. (Yes, of course, it can be done.)

There's no such thing as a best mouthpiece for jazz. But most jazz players use smaller equipment (straight tenor trombones, 0.500-0.508" bore) and a smaller mouthpiece than your Bach 5GS. Are you in high school? You could use your existing setup for "jazz" (a change in mouthpiece alone won't make you a better jazz player), or try to borrow or otherwise acquire some smaller equipment for a while (from your school or rental store).
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

You might consider a 6 1/2 mp. A Faxx version will cost 1/2 as much as a Bach. Pretty good match for the horn and won’t break the bank. A similar mpc that is also inexpensive is a Yam 48.

As for the horn, Jimmy Knepper, Steve Turre, Dennis Rollins, Phil Wilson, John Mosca, and Shawn Bell play .525s. I wouldn’t worry about that too much.
TromboneTiger

Post by TromboneTiger »

Posaunus wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:50 pm
TromboneTiger wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:14 pm I have a Yamaha YSL-446G tenor
So your current trombone is 0.525" bore, 8½" bell, with F attachment. Probably not the optimal combination for playing jazz, no matter what mouthpiece. (Yes, of course, it can be done.)

There's no such thing as a best mouthpiece for jazz. But most jazz players use smaller equipment (straight tenor trombones, 0.500-0.508" bore) and a smaller mouthpiece than your Bach 5GS. Are you in high school? You could use your existing setup for "jazz" (a change in mouthpiece alone won't make you a better jazz player), or try to borrow or otherwise acquire some smaller equipment for a while (from your school or rental store).
Thanks for the info! I'll see if I can get something that works.
Briande

Post by Briande »

I played .525 king 3B+ w/f all through high school jazz band. I’d say if you are part of a section you’re just fine. 5g is a bit big but a 6 1/2 AL or 7c work just fine.
I’m not a collector, I just have too many trombones….
King 2B. King 3B. King 3B+ w/F attachment and gold brass bell. King Duo Gravis. Getzen 1047FR. Conn 6H. Conn 48H.

Return to “Accessories”