Tins for Backbore Storage

muschem

Tins for Backbore Storage

Post by muschem »

I was recently looking for a good storage option for my extra AR Resonance backbores. Some of the more open tapers get pretty thin at the end, and I wanted to make sure they weren't accidentally damaged while not in use. As I was looking at some of the big size storage tins from CountyComm, which I had recently picked up, I thought they might offer a good solution. These are like Altoids tins, except larger, with thicker walls.

The top of the tin has a laser etched topographical design:
TinClosed.jpg
While inside is nice and open:
TinClosed.jpg
Plenty of room for backbores. Of course, it wouldn't be great to just toss all the backbores inside and call it a day... they'd all be banging around against each other inside every time the tin was moved. But, CountyComm also has silicone dividers available, which fit neatly inside ("Zombie Green" pictured here):
Divider1.jpg
Divider2.jpg

The silicone provides a nice cushion, protecting against metal-on-metal contact. It turns out that AR Resonance backbores for both tenor and bass mouthpieces fit nicely inside each of these divided compartments. With the divider in, the only thing to really worry about would be the underside of the lid when closed. If the tin is always flat and upright, this isn't a problem, but as soon as you toss it into a gig bag... all bets are off. Some sheet felt and a hot glue gun fix that issue pretty fast, though:
TinClosed.jpg
There is enough room in each compartment for 2 backbores, if you have a lot to store and really want to pack them in (but extra tins are pretty cheap). CountyComm also sells a Kydex sheath for these tins. The sheath includes an attachment clip, which makes it pretty easy to keep in place within a mute/accessory bag.

You could get fancy with custom fit foam cutouts inside the tins to hold the backbores even more securely. But, just the tins, dividers, and a bit of felt work pretty well for a quick and durable storage solution.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Shirley

Tenor trombone
Austin Symphonic Band

Bass trombone
Williamson County Symphony Orchestra
Bonemaster

Re: Tins for Backbore Storage

Post by Bonemaster »

Wow, what a great idea! I'm in the process of organizing my gear for max efficiency and this would hold all my DE shanks and maybe more.
Just to avoid confusion, is this their URL: https://countycomm.com/
Thanks for the post!
muschem

Post by muschem »

Bonemaster wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:59 am Wow, what a great idea! I'm in the process of organizing my gear for max efficiency and this would hold all my DE shanks and maybe more.
I was hoping the compartments might be large enough for DE shanks as well, but those are just a bit longer than the AR backbores:
DE1.jpg

But, it would work to place them rotated 90 degrees, if you figured out a different insert or modified the 4 compartment silicone divider. It looks like 5-6 shanks would fit that way depending on how closely they were spaced:
DE2.jpg
It looks like, at least for the small bore shanks, you might even be able to get two layers in... not much room left over for padding at that point, though.
Bonemaster wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:59 am Just to avoid confusion, is this their URL: https://countycomm.com/
Thanks for the post!
Yes, that's the one. The large tins are here:
https://countycomm.com/products/big-ind ... tins-gen-2
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Shirley

Tenor trombone
Austin Symphonic Band

Bass trombone
Williamson County Symphony Orchestra
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

Between this post and your flugabone post, you've become my favorite person to follow on this site :lol:
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
EZSlider

Post by EZSlider »

Gotta love county comm!
Dangerous place though lol!
EZ
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I'm eagerly awating what you end up doing with the flugabone case myself especially now that I see this :lol:
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

For things like this I often go to the fishing section in BassPro and rifle through the large offering of small/cheap plastic "tackle" and "parts" boxes there. Lots of different sizes, often with removable separators, and if you need to make extra inside room, the "permanent" plastic separators are easy to cut with a utility knife. Since they're plastic, they don't need padding as a metal container does. And you can see inside them without opening them.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K9/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)

Return to “Accessories”