Best Brass Practice Mute Repair

Mamaposaune

Best Brass Practice Mute Repair

Post by Mamaposaune »

Does anyone know what material can be used to re-foam this Best Brass practice mute that my dog got hold of?
Hoping to be able to buy a sheet or small roll and cut new pieces now that I have one to use for a pattern.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
baileyman

Re: Best Brass Practice Mute Repair

Post by baileyman »

Stuff like that shows up in packing material, carpet foam, resilient floor cover, playroom cushion, etc. If all else fails, check a maps app for "foam".
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

I presume you've already found things like this?: viewtopic.php?t=6870

I might try the (smooth -- not waffled) "shelf" or "drawer" liner you can find in places like lowes and home depot. But it may not be thick enough. Maybe use spray-on contact cement to glue two layers together, and then cut and apply to mute?

Hmmm ... Now that I think of it, the waffled might work as well because it would still seal. And it's thicker.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K9/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

Get some sheet cork from a hobby store or auto parts store. I would use 3m trim adhesive from the auto parts store for adhesive. If you’re not feeling creative, a music instrument repair shop can re-cork it properly.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

A place to look for small bits like the foam you need is a thrift store. Many times I've bought something just to tear apart for materials for something else.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

The hobby stores, like Michaels, sell that foam in large sheets.
Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I should have mentioned that I already tried pieces cut from a sheet of self-stick foam from a craft store, it looked about right but ended up being too soft and squishy, and would not have held up for long.
Turns out I had a sheet of cork, it is about double the thickness but I am going to try it. I cut 3 pieces to size, soaked in warm water to soften and they are currently strapped to the mute so they conform to the shape, then I'll sand them down a bit.
I'll attach with double-sided tape and give it a try before gluing on permanently.
Last edited by Mamaposaune on Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

A process of successive refinement is often a good approach.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K9/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Mamaposaune wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:11 am Thanks for the suggestions so far. I should have mentioned that I already tried pieces cut from a sheet of self-stick foam from a craft store, it looked about right but ended up being too soft and squishy, and would not have held up for long.
Turns out I had a sheet of cork, it is about double the thickness but I am going to try it. I cut 3 pieces to size, soaked in warm water to soften and they are currently strapped to the mute so they conform to the shape, then I'll sand them down a bit.
I'll attach with double-sided tape and give it a try before gluing on permanently.
Another step is to “tenderize” the cork by pounding it with a rawhide mallet. It makes the cork softer and more malleable. I was taught this by a few woodwind technician friends and I use this technique for thicker cork replacements on things like saxophone necks (connection to the mouthpiece).
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

[This is helpful, since I have to back-step. The cork, which appears to be about twice as thick as the original, sort of works (attached with carpet tape) but the pitches are more unstable, especially in the lower register.
Easily removable, so I will pound them and sand them down some more before using contact cement.

quote=Crazy4Tbone86 post_id=228050 time=1702776515 user_id=8392]
Mamaposaune wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:11 am Thanks for the suggestions so far. I should have mentioned that I already tried pieces cut from a sheet of self-stick foam from a craft store, it looked about right but ended up being too soft and squishy, and would not have held up for long.
Another step is to “tenderize” the cork by pounding it with a rawhide mallet. It makes the cork softer and more malleable. I was taught this by a few woodwind technician friends and I use this technique for thicker cork replacements on things like saxophone necks (connection to the mouthpiece).
[/quote]

Return to “Modification & Repair”