nice trombone solo pieces

ttf_The Dutch Guy

Post by ttf_The Dutch Guy »

Hi all,

I started playing the trombone nearly 5 months ago (after playing the trumpet for 15+ years). During the first few weeks I got some great advise for buying my own horn and gear and such, and 4 months and many many hours of practice later, here I am again  Image.
I am looking for some nice solo pieces to practice and improve my playing. (not for actually performing).

Some time ago ago I started practicing the 'Blue Bells of Scotland' and I'm enjoying this one a lot, and I'm looking for other pieces that are of similar difficulty as, lets say, the 1st and 2nd variation of the blue bells. Sadly, I'm not very familiar with trombone literature, so to speak.

I'm specifically looking for pieces that are fun to play. A piece that sticks in your head all day that you actually WANT to practice.
If they're available for free somewhere that would be great, but I'm fine with purchasing online as well.

Thanks!

ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Music Minus One - Motown Trombone - with Ira Nepus (CD included). Excellent orchestration and demo! Good luck. Some of them are very difficult.

...Geezer
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Check out BandMusicPDF.org.  Lots of Turn of the Century solos out there.  Some you may know from your trumpet playing days.  I've done things like "Stars in a Velvety Sky", "Beautiful Colorado", "Thoughts of Love".  Most of the Herbert Clarke cornet solos work well on trombone.

Find a piece by Fred Harlow called "Air Varie" which is based on a late 19th century song called "The Old Home Down on the Farm".

Lots more.  Happy searching.
ttf_SilverBone

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

Since you like Blue Bells, there are a lot of other Arthur Pryor solos available.  Blue Bells is one of the hardest IMO.
ttf_Blackthorne

Post by ttf_Blackthorne »

Speaking of Pryor, Annie Laurie Air Varie is a good one.  It's not too difficult but it has some passages that are very similar to Blue Bells.

Worlds Apart by Frank Gulino is a beautiful piece that's fun to play (I'm not a huge fan of the middle part of it, but I love the beginning and end).  That's one I've been working on to perform soon.
ttf_Le.Tromboniste

Post by ttf_Le.Tromboniste »

In the same style, other Pryor solos. Some of Arban's Études caractéristiques work great on trombone (some really don't).

Lots of great solos in other (and perhaps a little more "serious") styles.
ttf_Le.Tromboniste

Post by ttf_Le.Tromboniste »

In the same style, other Pryor solos. Some of Arban's Études caractéristiques work great on trombone (some really don't).

Lots of great solos in other (and perhaps a little more "serious") styles.

Return to “Music, Concerts, and Recordings”