B-stock Getzen 300 Series slide

dprice23

B-stock Getzen 300 Series slide

Post by dprice23 »

I just got a Getzen 300 Series that was manufactured in 2000 and had been sitting in a warehouse. It's cosmetically pristine, but the tuning slide is loose and the hand slide is out of alignment. Doesn't move with gravity, had to squeeze the inners a little to reinsert into the outers.

Just wondering if this is to be expected after sitting for 20 plus years and a tech should be able to fix it, or if I should be more concerned?

Thanks all!
Posaunus

Re: B-stock Getzen 300 Series slide

Post by Posaunus »

Should be in the range of a good tech to deal with both issues (unless there has been hidden trauma).
Budget ~$100-$200 depending on where you are located and which tech does the work.
[I don't think 2000 represents the glory years of Getzen.]
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

The conditions described are highly unlikely to have occurred from sitting in a warehouse for 20 years. With no other damage apparent, it is possible that the parts were mixed up with parts from another horn or final fitting never occurred before it left the factory. If the tuning slide is lubricated and installed, filled with water, and the bell doesn’t leak when held vertical, the tuning slide can most probably be repaired. Be sure to hang on the tuning slide as you fill the bell with water. If the tuning slide drops out, it could be damaged.

How much shop time is required to correct the slide depends on whether any of the tubes have taken a set In which case one or more tubes could spring back. If the slide has to be taken apart to re-align it, or “sprung” tubes must be replaced, it will cost more. How much is it worth and how much does someone want to invest? It could be trivial or quite expensive. “Are you feeling lucky? Well are you?”
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
dprice23

Post by dprice23 »

OneTon wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:58 pm How much is it worth and how much does someone want to invest? It could be trivial or quite expensive. “Are you feeling lucky? Well are you?”
I'm thinking it's worth giving realignment a shot. I didn't pay a lot for it, so I'm willing to spend a couple hundred if I can get a good slide.

Anyone in the Pittsburgh area used Johnstonbaugh's Music Centers? They claim to have western PA's only "factory trained S.E. Shires and Edwards technician"...
--------------------------------
  • Rath R100
  • Vintage frankenbone: 1960s Reynolds Medalist Bell w/ 1970s Super Tempo King slide

• Dennis Wick 10CS
  • Bach 12C
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

Go for it. It might work out.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas

Return to “Modification & Repair”