Negative space

Spin your yarns here.
AtomicClock

Negative space

Post by AtomicClock »

A few years back, I picked up a Bach 1 1/4g on a lark. Much larger than my normal 5G, but I was curious. I showed it to a non-brass-playing friend who was willing to humor me. "Wow, that is very small" he said. Because, of course, there was much less metal -- the mouthpiece itself is smaller, even though the passageway is larger. Blew my mind.
norbie2018

Re: Negative space

Post by norbie2018 »

Less metal doesn't make it smaller, it makes it weigh less. The rim and cup dimensions of the Bach 1 1/4g make it a much bigger mouthpiece than a 5g.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

norbie2018 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:59 pm Less metal doesn't make it smaller, it makes it weigh less. The rim and cup dimensions of the Bach 1 1/4g make it a much bigger mouthpiece than a 5g.
Depends on how you define "size". The 1¼G displaces less water than the 5G...
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

JohnL wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:48 pm
norbie2018 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:59 pm Less metal doesn't make it smaller, it makes it weigh less. The rim and cup dimensions of the Bach 1 1/4g make it a much bigger mouthpiece than a 5g.
Depends on how you define "size". The 1¼G displaces less water than the 5G...
We're talking about mouthpieces used as mouthpieces in brass instruments. That lends itself to a narrow way of defining size.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

With mouthpieces, we normally think of two major components of "size":

• Cup volume
• Rim inside diameter

Most trombonists normally associate with size with Rim diameter due to Vincent Bach's numbering system, where Cup volume also increased with increased Rim diameter. Others (e.g., Doug Elliott) have successfully separated those two dimensions - so you can have a small (Cup volume) mouthpiece with a large Rim diameter.

Size, in terms of mouthpiece metal volume, is a secondary or tertiary consideration.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Weight of a mouthpiece impacts the density and core of the sound. For me, it is a major variable in determining a mouthpiece to use. I use mouthpieces (tenor and bass) that are much heavier than most other players because the additional weight gives me the sound I want.

There is definitely a point of diminishing returns. If I go too heavy on my tenor, I must work too hard to make the horn respond. If I go too heavy on my dependent bass, I definitely feel it in my left arm and hand.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:18 pm Weight of a mouthpiece impacts the density and core of the sound. For me, it is a major variable in determining a mouthpiece to use. I use mouthpieces (tenor and bass) that are much heavier than most other players because the additional weight gives me the sound I want.
Brian,

Have you tried mouthpieces of materials other than brass? Stainless steel (denser) or titanium (less dense)? If so, how do you feel about these?

I have no problem with Marcinkiewicz mouthpieces, which have thin walls and are relatively light.
And I have an AR Resonance tenor piece (25.1 V+ 60) with a very light (water) buffalo horn Cup. I really like it, but am sure that it would be an order of magnitude too light for you!
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Yes, I have tried some of the G&W stainless models. They felt very “hard” on my face. Not as in “difficult” hard, but hard as is harder on the Mohs hardness scale. My face became tired very quickly.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast

Return to “Tangents”