Pixie mute as your regular bass straight mute?

ghmerrill

Pixie mute as your regular bass straight mute?

Post by ghmerrill »

Just curious about this idea. Any thoughts based on experience?

The Horn Guys' page on the Best Brass pixie mute seems to strongly suggest that it would be just swell as your regular straight mute.

:?
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K9/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
ghmerrill

Re: Pixie mute as your regular bass straight mute?

Post by ghmerrill »

Hmmm ... I think I've found the answer.

As far as I can see, Best Brass doesn't list a "pixie" mute for bass trombone (or anything else). I speculate that the Horn Guys are calling this a "pixie" because it's relatively small among bass trombone straight mutes. :? :? :| :roll:
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Amati Oval Euph
AtomicClock

Post by AtomicClock »

But Best Brass does list both straight and "straight mini" mutes. Hornguys is clearly referring to the mini.
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

You're right. I was befuddled because on the Horn Guys site that mute (pixie) is listed under "straight mutes," and they don't list the Best Brass "straight" mutes. But on the Best Brass site, that mute isn't listed under "straight mutes," but under "Straight mini" (in the product list on their main page -- which I blew by via a Google search). And on that page they call it a "straight mini."

Thanks for the pointer. I just ordered one, despite the outrageous price for an amateur duffer such as me. Now I'll have to work at not dropping it.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Amati Oval Euph
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

I don’t have a proper reference for it and I don’t know where I read it. There were a few sites out there that suggested people would use a Thomas Crown straight mute in a small bore tenor bell in lieu of of a proper pixie mute, with a plunger over the bell. I don’t know is my search included Al Grey or not. That at least works. A smallish tenor mute might work with a plunger in lieu of a pixie mute in a bass trombone. I am afraid I would have to take a tuning slide out to remove a pixie mute from a bass trombone bell.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

Well, now it appears that the title of this thread was based on my misunderstanding (and The Horn Guys' product description) of what is properly referred to as the "Best Brass Straight Mini Mute". They don't mention "pixie" at all, but refer to the mute as "Little Big Man". :lol:
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Amati Oval Euph
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

OneTon wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:18 pm I don’t have a proper reference for it and I don’t know where I read it. There were a few sites out there that suggested people would use a Thomas Crown straight mute in a small bore tenor bell in lieu of of a proper pixie mute, with a plunger over the bell. I don’t know is my search included Al Grey or not. That at least works. A smallish tenor mute might work with a plunger in lieu of a pixie mute in a bass trombone. I am afraid I would have to take a tuning slide out to remove a pixie mute from a bass trombone bell.
It's going to have be a hella big plunger to go over the base of even a tenor Crown straight, much less a bass Crown straight.

Besides which, any tenor straight will have to have the corks built up (or moved well down the cone) to fit in a bass bell.
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

Dennis wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:03 am Besides which, any tenor straight will have to have the corks built up (or moved well down the cone) to fit in a bass bell.
Not to muddy the waters, but ... My classic H&B fiber straight mute fits just fine in my bass bell (as it fits in my Olds Standard bell), and with a tuning slide pull of about 3/4" plays very well in tune, down to the D below the staff. After that it doesn't have a prayer.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Amati Oval Euph
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

Dennis wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:03 am
OneTon wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:18 pm I don’t have a proper reference for it and I don’t know where I read it. There were a few sites out there that suggested people would use a Thomas Crown straight mute in a small bore tenor bell in lieu of of a proper pixie mute, with a plunger over the bell. I don’t know is my search included Al Grey or not. That at least works. A smallish tenor mute might work with a plunger in lieu of a pixie mute in a bass trombone. I am afraid I would have to take a tuning slide out to remove a pixie mute from a bass trombone bell.
It's going to have be a hella big plunger to go over the base of even a tenor Crown straight, much less a bass Crown straight.

Besides which, any tenor straight will have to have the corks built up (or moved well down the cone) to fit in a bass bell.
I neglected to include that the subject Thomas Crown mute is a trumpet mute. It works in a tenor. It is always a pleasure to post on trombonechat.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas

Return to “Accessories”