Trill exercises

How and what to teach and learn.
barclem

Trill exercises

Post by barclem »

Hello,
I’m looking for learning to trill : could any one gives progressive exercises for Tenor sackbut, specifically on the most used notes ?
Thanks a lot !
LeTromboniste

Re: Trill exercises

Post by LeTromboniste »

To build up and maintain the mechanics of trilling, I do lip slurs alternating between one partial and the one above in this pattern:
4 quarters (4 beats), 4 eighths (2 beats), 6 triplet eighths (2 beats), 8 sixteenths (2 beats), 12+ sextuplet sixteenths (2+ beats), 1 half note (2 beats), half rest to breathe (2 beats), repeat on next note
just staying in the same position without moving the slide for the slurs, then moving down a position between each repeat until I've done all 7 positions, and then the same thing between each pair of partials over the whole range of the instrument.

Make sure you allow enough motion to happen naturally in your embouchure (a common reason for not being able to trill is trying to do it while at the same time actively trying to prevent or limit movement, which makes the embouchure too stiff for anything to happen at all). In particular, the tongue should be moving to support the slurs (basically doing yayayayaya). Start slow enough that you're still in control of the 16th note sextuplets, and build up speed over time so that your 16th sextuplet reach the speed you want your trills to have.

Once that works and your speed is good and you're still in control, you can add extra beats of sextuplet sixteenths (which are the trill, essentially) on each repetition so that you also build up the ability to trill longer.

I usually start this exercise on middle Bb :tenorclef: :space3: to D :tenorclef: :space4:, and repeat the formula on every position down to 7 on the same partial. Then D-F, F-Ab, Ab-Bb, Bb-C, etc, always on every position, and then finish by doing :bassclef: :line4: to :bassclef: :space5: and last :bassclef: :line2: to :bassclef: :line4:. Sometimes I'll start higher, on D-F and alternate going up to and down the pairs of partials (so, D-F, F-Ab, middle Bb-D, high Ab-Bb, F-Bb, high Bb-C, low Bb-F, high C-D). Or sometimes I'll start all the repetitions in 7 and build my way up instead of starting in 1 and going down.

I find sometimes using a practice mute when doing this exercise is also helpful.

After you've built up the speed and control, you could then also start to experiment with bending the upper note of the "incorrect" trills so that they no longer sound like thirds but actual sound more like seconds. But don't try to do that before you are solid with the thirds.

Separately from that, once the mechanics work and you are able to successfully trill between the partials, I practice doing trills in a more musical context, adding the other elements of the trill, in all the different variations you can think of – between the 2nd and 3rd degree notes, between the tonic and 2nd degree and between the tonic and leading tone; with or without appogiatura (in the 18th century it was almost always with an appogiatura, earlier often not); ending with a repetition of the main mote, an anticipation of the arrival note, or with a 2-note tail; with long appogiatura or short appogiatura; with a trill that is fast and stays fast or that starts slower and accelerates; trills that beat only once, or twice, or three times or more.

In a musical context, it helps to hit the real position of the upper note at least once (on the appogiatura, or on the first "beat" if there is no appogiatura. On long trills, I might touch it twice, on the appogiatura and once more after). Once the listener has heard both notes played properly, the ear can get fooled in hearing a second even if you're actually playing a third. Appogiaturas are usually better played on a different partial than the main note (even if further away on the slide), because the initial slur down to the main note helps in getting the trill started.
Last edited by LeTromboniste on Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Maximilien,
Fantastic educational post. Thanks! :good:
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

Go here and download the file. It's a horn players take on the trill, and they use trills more than we do.
https://www.hornmatters.com/2009/01/exe ... lls-stink/
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

Arban's has trill exercises.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com

Return to “Teaching & Learning”