Fresh Start

How and what to teach and learn.
Stefano

Fresh Start

Post by Stefano »

I'm excited to be retiring in a few months and restarting the trombone. I'm in Tucson AZ so fear that the opportunities to play with others might be limited. Fortunately, I enjoy playing it all--jazz, orchestra, chamber--and look forward to exploring other genres and styles.

Given this, where to start? How to get my chops back in shape? I'll be looking for an instrument that can cross over, but once I get it, what to do?

Feeling a little paralyzed, and grateful for any advice and encouragement
Posaunus

Re: Fresh Start

Post by Posaunus »

Starting points:
  • Locate and try/purchase a good used "crossover" trombone.
    (Perhaps medium bore w/ F-attachment; e.g. King 3B-F, Bach 36B.)
  • Find a qualified trombone teacher with experience at teaching adults. (U of A?) Do what he/she says.
  • Have fun!
chouston3

Post by chouston3 »

I recently rebuilt my trombone playing to the point where I can have fun again with community band.

I used this book. https://www.mountainpeakmusic.com/commo ... -time-off/

It's fun to be playing again after 15 or so years. Some things are working better than they did last time and some things are a bit harder.
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

I Googled "Tucson community band" and found a few. The New Horizon band program is great for adult beginners and those coming back to playing after a long layoff. There are other options too.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
Stefano

Post by Stefano »

Posaunus wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:10 pm Starting points:
  • Locate and try/purchase a good used "crossover" trombone.
    (Perhaps medium bore w/ F-attachment; e.g. King 3B-F, Bach 36B.)
  • Find a qualified trombone teacher with experience at teaching adults. (U of A?) Do what he/she says.
  • Have fun!
Many thanks! My last trombone was a King 3B-F, so looking for a good used one.
Stefano

Post by Stefano »

chouston3 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:44 pm I recently rebuilt my trombone playing to the point where I can have fun again with community band.

I used this book. https://www.mountainpeakmusic.com/commo ... -time-off/

It's fun to be playing again after 15 or so years. Some things are working better than they did last time and some things are a bit harder.
Looks like a terrific book! Thanks for the tip.
walldaja

Post by walldaja »

Don't overlook a King 607F, it's like a 3B+F.
Dave

2020ish? Shires Q30GR with 2CL
1982 King 607F with 13CL
Yamaha 421G Bass with Christian Lindberg 2CL / Bach 1 1/2G
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1967 Olds Ambassador with 10CL
1957 Besson 10-10
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Stork 4
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

I like Arban’s, Rochut, and the Remington warm up. It takes a while to come back. Be patient. I remembered where I was at and it was 2 years before I was fully functional. Then I started to improve again. If you get an f-attachment, Bach’s Cello Suite is helpful. Good luck.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
Jimkinkella

Post by Jimkinkella »

Just to get into shape:
Remington
Matty Shiner’s lip builder

Then
Rochut
chouston3

Post by chouston3 »

Remington is gold. The first time I rebuilt my playing I used a lot of remington and then jumped into etudes.

I am now rebuilding my playing again. From that experience, I am going gentler on myself. I don't have high school band, youth orchestra, or the usual region band tryouts to do so I am taking my time. I went through the book I recommended earlier and it put me in alright shape. I am now doing the Vining Daily routines for the student trombone and Brad Edwards intermediate trombone book.

Yes, at this point, I can saw away at Rochut and Blazhevich and that is what I did last time. But I had lingering issues from not making sure everything was rock solid. I then had to spend a ton of time going back and fixing fundamentals.

My timeline is about two years to get back in shape.
Stefano

Post by Stefano »

walldaja wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:32 pm Don't overlook a King 607F, it's like a 3B+F.
I picked up a Selmer Bolero at a really good price. No F attachment, but I'll save up for a larger bore concert horn with F attachment.
Stefano

Post by Stefano »

I wanted to thank everyone for the advice and encouragement. I purchased a used Selmer Bolero at a great price, scheduled lessons with a trombonist from the Tucson Symphony Orchestra, and have ordered a copy of Lip Slurs by Brad Edwards, and Common Sense for Comeback Chops. I’m holding off a month or so on starting lessons so I can build up my chops a little first. I don’t want to pay for an hour and have chops for 15 minutes!

Thanks also for the recommendations for method books. I used Arban in the old days. Several have mentioned Remington and I’m looking into that.

I found a transcription for trombone of Bach’s Cello Suite #2 online, and am enjoying working my way through.

This is an awesome community. I found a five page thread on jazz trombone that was full of vinegar and wisdom. Someone should write a book . . .
Stefano

Post by Stefano »

chouston3 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:46 pm Remington is gold. The first time I rebuilt my playing I used a lot of remington and then jumped into etudes.

I am now rebuilding my playing again. From that experience, I am going gentler on myself. I don't have high school band, youth orchestra, or the usual region band tryouts to do so I am taking my time. I went through the book I recommended earlier and it put me in alright shape. I am now doing the Vining Daily routines for the student trombone and Brad Edwards intermediate trombone book.

Yes, at this point, I can saw away at Rochut and Blazhevich and that is what I did last time. But I had lingering issues from not making sure everything was rock solid. I then had to spend a ton of time going back and fixing fundamentals.

My timeline is about two years to get back in shape.
Good to hear of your experience. I assume, at 65, that some things are irretrievable. But I feel like I have so many more assets now—singlemindedness, time and space, the infinite resources of the internet. Maybe most important is that I take time to listen to other horn players, and I never did that in my teens and twenties.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”