When to offer services

How and what to teach and learn.
BrassSection

When to offer services

Post by BrassSection »

Our local high school is a small rural school. One person is the elementary thru senior high band and chorus teacher/director, and although the person tries their background is not in brass. The brass section of the band leaves a lot to be desired, and is now down to just a few students in the combined jr/sr high band. Although I’m no professional, I know I could offer volunteer services to help improve the brass players. Input and thoughts are welcome for me to move forward in looking into this. (And I know I would need back ground clearances, already have some, but various places require different levels.)
Kbiggs

Re: When to offer services

Post by Kbiggs »

There’s no harm in offering. The local music teacher might be glad of the help.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
sungfw

Post by sungfw »

If you don't have a child currently enrolled in the school district, check the district's policy on non-parental adult volunteers. A number of districts in my area don't allow non-parental volunteers, and some only allow parents to volunteer in activities their childern are involved in, owing to vicarious liability concerns.
BrassSection

Post by BrassSection »

Grandson is a trumpet playing student in the school…with some music home schooling! Appreciate the feedback!
sungfw

Post by sungfw »

BrassSection wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:15 am Grandson is a trumpet playing student in the school…with some music home schooling! Appreciate the feedback!
Check the school district policy. If the district only permit parents and legal guardians (yes, there are some that are that strict) Grandparents and other relatives aren't eligible.
emflanagan

Post by emflanagan »

Often if there is a non-parental volunteer policy there is a process to get approved to work the students. Often a background check and paperwork.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Now that I think about it, I had to go through that (background check and paperwork) at a private school where I gave individual lessons, many years ago.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

The background checks are ubiquitous now for teaching any minors. Sometimes they happen without you even knowing.

Obviously there are very good reasons for this. Here in Boston there was at least one case of a sex offender hired by a youth orchestra to do photo/video work. It was a scandal that shook some things up. I won't go into more detail, but I'm sure you can find out more via google if you really want to know...
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

I live in Maryland, but I am only a short drive away from the Pennsylvania state line. For years, I have played in musical pit orchestras at PA schools and helped out on some concerts when schools were short in low brass instrumentation.

About 12-15 years ago, Pennsylvania implemented some very strict policies on who is permitted to be in the schools and work with students. It was the result, in part, of the Coach Sandusky (sp?) controversy in which kids were sexually abused at some football camps. At least, that’s what several people told me.

All adults who work with students in PA schools, even if you only sit on a stage one time and help with a concert, must take a series of trainings/courses through the PA Department of Education. If I remember correctly, it was several short online courses and also included a criminal background check.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast

Return to “Teaching & Learning”