Awaiting a JP233 bass trombone

Merv66

Awaiting a JP233 bass trombone

Post by Merv66 »

I will shortly be taking delivery of a new John Packer JP233 Bb/F bass trombone. For the last six months I’ve been playing a Yamaha YBL421GE bass trombone and wonder would anyone care to comment if I’m making a wise move. The Yamaha is 20 yrs old but in lovely condition.
SlideCrook

Re: Awaiting a JP233 bass trombone

Post by SlideCrook »

The Yamaha is the better horn. Better resale value. Better history of quality craftsmanship. I think the Yamaha sounds better.

Why did you buy the John Packer in the first place? Just looking for something new? Was the Yamaha a loaner? Did it need slide work?

I would rather buy a Used Yamaha YBL421 that needed a slide job vs a JP in brand new condition.

The JP line I feel is marketed towards high school students moving up from a student straight horn, but would rather spend money on new and shiny vs lacquer loss on a used 20 year old 88H or 42B.
marccromme

Post by marccromme »

Keep the YBL 421 and send the JP 233 back, if you can. Save the money, save even more in the month to come, and wait for a nice two valve used bass bone to appear on the market. Which you then can buy.
Merv66

Post by Merv66 »

Getting the message. I’m not financially committed yet so options still open. I have Packer tubas and had a tenor trom too I’m quite a fan. Thanks for the comments
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

They are not bad horns but still more 'studenty' than 'step up'. The Yamaha is very much a superior option. In the world of single valve basses you will not find a better horn without going custom or boutique... Doug
Merv66

Post by Merv66 »

Thanks for that Doug maybe keep both🤣🤣
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

I find you can never have too many horns!!!
jhousdan

Post by jhousdan »

I'd definitely take the Yammie over the JP. Huge step up in quality!

And a 20 year old horn is only now just finally nice and broken in! It's properly seasoned.
-Jeremy

Yamaha YBL-613G Bass Trombone

Return to “Instruments”