J Callet method book

How and what to teach and learn.
Macbone1

J Callet method book

Post by Macbone1 »

My apologies if this topic has already been covered in this forum.
What is the general opinion in the trombone hive mind about Jerome Callet's book, Brass Power and Endurance? Is it a good method, worth the price of the book? Or has it been superseded by other tools since 1974?
King Jiggs 2BL
Olds Opera
Besson Sovereign Bb/F bass
Holton bass trumpet
B&H Imperial shepherd's crook cornet
BGuttman

Re: J Callet method book

Post by BGuttman »

Jerry Callet was a trumpet player. I participated in a Master Class with him. He was selling his new line of mouthpieces (I bought one but never used it). I would consider his stuff more trumpet oriented, much like Charles Colin.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Macbone1

Post by Macbone1 »

Good to know, thanks Bruce.
Also, there is a gorgeous Callet trombone listed on Brass Ark, complete with funky looking Callet mouthpiece. Wish l had the cash to spare.
King Jiggs 2BL
Olds Opera
Holton bass trumpet
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Macbone1 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:34 pm Good to know, thanks Bruce.
Also, there is a gorgeous Callet trombone listed on Brass Ark, complete with funky looking Callet mouthpiece. Wish l had the cash to spare.
Bruce Lee had one at Viola Music in Londonderry back when he tried to make them dealers for Callet. Nobody bought it and when they went out of business they gave it out as a prize in some competition. I tried it, but it wasn't a "must buy" item.

I don't think many people bought those Callet trombones.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Macbone1

Post by Macbone1 »

Also good to know....wonder what people didn't like about them
King Jiggs 2BL
Olds Opera
Holton bass trumpet
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

I have a pristine Jerome Callet Magnum 7B mouthpiece that should be played - it's just not for me.
25.00mm Cup I.D., 6.76 mm Throat, Small Shank. Played only 2 or 3 times.
I'll send it to you for only $35 including shipping. Give it a try!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Macbone1

Post by Macbone1 »

Posaunus wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:01 pm I have a pristine Jerome Callet Magnum 7B mouthpiece that should be played - it's just not for me.
25.00mm Cup I.D., 6.76 mm Throat, Small Shank. Played only 2 or 3 times.
I'll send it to you for only $35 including shipping. Give it a try!
OK I'll bite, been looking for something smaller for my King 2B anyway. PM sent!
King Jiggs 2BL
Olds Opera
Holton bass trumpet
JeffBone44

Post by JeffBone44 »

More than 20 years ago I visited Jerome Callet on Staten Island to try some leadpipes. I bought one and still have it, although I haven't used it in a while. Also bought a large bore mouthpiece, it played very bright. He said he designed it that way on purpose as he thought that trombones should sound brighter than they had been at that time. It came in handy for show work on my large bore horn, or if I had to play jazz on it. I sold it, but wish I still had it as it would have been cool to have as a collector's item.
Macbone1

Post by Macbone1 »

My Callet mouthpiece is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I'm usually looking to brighten my sound so we'll see how it goes.
King Jiggs 2BL
Olds Opera
Holton bass trumpet
Wilktone

Post by Wilktone »

Macbone1 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:15 pm My apologies if this topic has already been covered in this forum.
What is the general opinion in the trombone hive mind about Jerome Callet's book, Brass Power and Endurance? Is it a good method, worth the price of the book? Or has it been superseded by other tools since 1974?
I've not read this book, just a couple of excerpts that were available on one site selling this book. I am familiar with his basic embouchure method, and it did evolve over time from his first book in 1971 up through 2002. Someone posted his 2007 in instructional video on YouTube a while back and he decided to allow it, so if you're really curious you can look for it there.

That said, I think you're better off with other embouchure development approaches. I have many concerns about the overall technique he taught, including the quality of sound that players who use it get.

I have heard good things about his trumpet equipment, though.

Dave
--
David Wilken
https://wilktone.com
Macbone1

Post by Macbone1 »

Thank you! I very much appreciate you taking the time to send me this guidance.
King Jiggs 2BL
Olds Opera
Holton bass trumpet
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

Macbone1 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:34 pm Also, there is a gorgeous Callet trombone listed on Brass Ark, complete with funky looking Callet mouthpiece. Wish l had the cash to spare.
That horn, or one identical, sold through The Brass Exchange a few months ago... looks like it's mostly Kanstul 750 parts.

Wilktone wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:17 am I think you're better off with other embouchure development approaches. I have many concerns about the overall technique he taught, including the quality of sound that players who use it get.

:r2d2:
Macbone1

Post by Macbone1 »

ithinknot wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:28 am
That horn, or one identical, sold through The Brass Exchange a few months ago... looks like it's mostly Kanstul 750 parts.

Wilktone wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:17 am I think you're better off with other embouchure development approaches. I have many concerns about the overall technique he taught, including the quality of sound that players who use it get.

:r2d2:
Thanks very much for the input. if Doug Bert sold one of those I tend to think he charged more than Noah is asking. Doug's prices is tend to run a little higher.

So is this a recommendation to buy? Moot point since l don't have the 1700 to spare.
King Jiggs 2BL
Olds Opera
Holton bass trumpet
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

Macbone1 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:46 am
ithinknot wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:28 am That horn, or one identical, sold through The Brass Exchange a few months ago... looks like it's mostly Kanstul 750 parts.
So is this a recommendation to buy? Moot point since l don't have the 1700 to spare.
Just an observation... Kanstul made lots of stencil horns at all sorts of price points

Return to “Teaching & Learning”