Clothside case that fits large OR small bore?

ttf_davdud101

Post by ttf_davdud101 »

Hey, trombretheren!

I'm on the lookout for a case that I can use interchangeably for my large AND small bore. When I'm performing, I 100% of the time take with me one OR the other horn and leave the other on a stand at home. I've got little real estate for so many cases, and my Olds (backup small bore) has a beat up old case that I don't really want to have around anymore, so I'm looking for a nice cloth-side hard case that I'd be able to put a large OR small bore in dpepending on what i'm taking with me.

Any suggestions? Is it a thing?
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

I use an eastman tenor case for my small and large bore horns in the same manner you describe.  One stays on the stand, the other comes with me.  Sometimes I need two but I have a double case for that. 

What horns are they?  Chances are it'll fit in an Eastman or a protec. The former is not a cloth exterior but the latter have several varietes that have a cloth exterior.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Really depends on what you mean by "fits".

If the case is designed to fit a large bore the small bore may knock around a bit.  Not too much of a problem if you are just going to pop it in a car and haul.  But if you are going to pack it in the luggage compartment of a bus or airplane, the small bore may not fit well enough.

Many gig bags will fit large or small bores about equally.  I've fit anything from my alto to a double trigger bass in an Altieri.  You might also be able to do the same in a Chronkite or Reunion Blues.  Probably others as well.
ttf_dj kennedy

Post by ttf_dj kennedy »

[really  like  the  new  protec  MAXX  
 not  pricy    trim   /not heavy  //
done 4  already for  replacing tired  cases 

Quote from: davdud101 on May 22, 2017, 12:57PMHey, trombretheren!

I'm on the lookout for a case that I can use interchangeably for my large AND small bore. When I'm performing, I 100% of the time take with me one OR the other horn and leave the other on a stand at home. I've got little real estate for so many cases, and my Olds (backup small bore) has a beat up old case that I don't really want to have around anymore, so I'm looking for a nice cloth-side hard case that I'd be able to put a large OR small bore in dpepending on what i'm taking with me.

Any suggestions? Is it a thing?

<Edit: Fixed Quote>
ttf_davdud101

Post by ttf_davdud101 »

Quote from: dj kennedy on May 24, 2017, 03:20AM[really  like  the  new  protec  MAXX  

I've actually been heavily considering this since all other Protecs I've seen and owned have been fabulous cases. I'll look into that one!
Thanks guys! Maybe there something with removable padding that I can add in when taking the small bore... I'll take a deeper dive and see what I can find.
ttf_Blackthorne

Post by ttf_Blackthorne »

Quote from: dj kennedy on May 24, 2017, 03:20AM[really  like  the  new  protec  MAXX  

The Max is a lot of case for $100.  I just bought one for my 607F and am very impressed with it. 
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

I have a MAX MX306CT that fits a large bore with F.  I'll go right now and see if a small bore tenor fits well ...

Okay, just tried it out with a XO Brass 1632.   This is a King 2B sized horn.

It fits just fine and is held in place amazingly well.  I'd have no worries with it at all.  The same case also fits my King 4B, my Shires and my Blessing B88.
ttf_davdud101

Post by ttf_davdud101 »

Quote from: BillO on May 26, 2017, 07:51AMI have a MAX MX306CT that fits a large bore with F. 

Thanks for checking... this is brilliant! Looks like exactly what I need.
With this, I'd be able to get rid of my incredibly beat-up, just-about-unsueable wooden Olds case, stick that in the Yamaha case, then use this alternatively for storing the large bore while using the other horn, or stick the large bore in it's own case when necessary.

Thanks again, guys  Image Image
ttf_greenbean

Post by ttf_greenbean »

If you are feeling a bit richer...  The BAM Classic is one of the best cases I have owned.  I have put small, medium, and large bore horns in it with success.  Narrow slide, wide slide, whatever.  Backpackage and lightweight...
ttf_davdud101

Post by ttf_davdud101 »

Quote from: greenbean on May 27, 2017, 10:54AMIf you are feeling a bit richer...  The BAM Classic is one of the best cases I have owned.  I have put small, medium, and large bore horns in it with success.  Narrow slide, wide slide, whatever.  Backpackage and lightweight...

Looks wonderful! Not sure if I can justify that cost when I'm playing more bass and trumpet than trombone these days. Good suggestion, though
ttf_greenbean

Post by ttf_greenbean »

Quote from: davdud101 on Yesterday at 04:44 AMLooks wonderful! Not sure if I can justify that cost when I'm playing more bass and trumpet than trombone these days. Good suggestion, though

I think maybe BAM has discontinued these.  I bought my tenor version on line for about $200 delivered.  WELL worth it at that price.  Most places are selling the bass version for $350-400.  I am hesitant to pay that much for a case that my not fit my basses well.  I would really have to try one in person. 

Good luck in your search!
ttf_PaKETaZ

Post by ttf_PaKETaZ »

Quote from: greenbean on May 27, 2017, 10:54AMIf you are feeling a bit richer...  The BAM Classic is one of the best cases I have owned.  I have put small, medium, and large bore horns in it with success.  Narrow slide, wide slide, whatever.  Backpackage and lightweight...

Are you talking about the BAM 3030S Tom?

Because I have one, I really love it for my large bores, but it feels too big for small ones: they don't fit well...
ttf_greenbean

Post by ttf_greenbean »

Yes, that one. 

Well, I just put a Conn 6H in it.  The 6H slide is pretty narrow and, yes, I am would be a bit concerned that the slide "holder" might let go of the slide and allow it to bang up against the bell section.  I think the bell section is well protected (assuming the slide behaves itself). 

So, I will revise my recommendation:  A great case for medium- and wide-slide trombones.  Use with caution with narrow slides (e.g., put a roll of bubble wrap to keep slide and apart in case of mishap). 

Would you agree with this assessment?

Also, I keep a Bach 42 in it currently and I think the Bach slide is about as wide as you can go. 

ttf_PaKETaZ

Post by ttf_PaKETaZ »

Quote from: greenbean on Yesterday at 11:42 AM(...)
Would you agree with this assessment?
(...)

Yes!  Image

Actually, I'm looking after a Fusion Premium Jazz Trombone Gig Bag.

Pricey and not a hard case, I know, but I already have a J. Winter case which works perfectly for straight, Bb/F, small, medium, large bores, narrow, wide slides. Bulkier and heavier. I'd like to have something lighter to go to rehearsals or "light" gigs.

If I have to jump in the truck with my band with all the stuff in the trailer, the J. Winter is the way to go to keep peace of mind!
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

A band mate of mine has the Fusion, and it is not small or light. It's heavier and bigger than my Edwards case and looks closer in size to the regular Bonna hardcase.
ttf_PaKETaZ

Post by ttf_PaKETaZ »

Quote from: RabidDolphin on Yesterday at 04:47 PMA band mate of mine has the Fusion, and it is not small or light. It's heavier and bigger than my Edwards case and looks closer in size to the regular Bonna hardcase.

Ah... Ok... Thank you for the insight!
The websites give different weights for the J. Winter but in fact, it seems to be at least as heavy, yes, you are right...
Strange I did not notice this before...
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Yeah my colleague likes it because he can load everything up into one case, but I'd rather have two or three smaller bags/cases to carry to a gig.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Yeah my colleague likes it because he can load everything up into one case, but I'd rather have two or three smaller bags/cases to carry to a gig.

Return to “Accessories”