Yamaha 835D Bass Trombone

lmalewic

Yamaha 835D Bass Trombone

Post by lmalewic »

I just received a new 835D (Yellow Brass Detachable Bell) from Yamaha. Not sure how many of you have had a chance to play their new bass trombones and this one in particular. While I’ve only had a couple days on it I find it a fantastically easy bass trombone to play. I do a lot of work on all the horns (small, large, bass, euphonium, tuba) and I do prefer a horn that you can just pick up and play easily. I feel that some basses require you to really put in a lot of work and be dedicated to the instrument to get the best out of them (not a bad thing). While I do play bass almost daily I don’t spend hours on it like some players do. This horn allows me to just pick up it and play. The detachable bell gives the sound a nice core that projects well without being overly aggressive. The valves are quick. Let me know your thoughts if you had a chance to play the new bases (yellow or gold brass) specifically with the detachable flares.
Luke Malewicz
Yamaha Artist and Clinician
Freelance Trombonist/Educator in the Chicago Area
www.LowBrassLuke.com
Burgerbob

Re: Yamaha 835D Bass Trombone

Post by Burgerbob »

It's about 1000x better than the 830 or 835. Those bells just needed rings, apparently.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

I’d like to try a cut bell gold brass version. Gold? Red? Not yellow. 😃
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Agree with Aidan. Also they’re the only bass I’ve ever pulled off a stand and thought was comfortable without any modification. They have a bullet brace style thing built into the f trigger. No idea if that’ll cause problems with stress on it but… wow chefs kiss on that one.
RJMason

Post by RJMason »

Yeah the 891ZD, to me, sounds way more interesting (and just overall better) than the stock 891. As a result, I recently had my old 612 bass bell cut, triggers split, new Yamaha paddles and lead pipe. Also a huge improvement. Really do think those bells just needed the rings.
lmalewic

Post by lmalewic »

WGWTR180 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:38 am I’d like to try a cut bell gold brass version. Gold? Red? Not yellow. 😃
I have a couple friends that use the Gold Brass One. They both really like it.
Luke Malewicz
www.LowBrassLuke.com
lmalewic

Post by lmalewic »

Matt K wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:50 am Agree with Aidan. Also they’re the only bass I’ve ever pulled off a stand and thought was comfortable without any modification. They have a bullet brace style thing built into the f trigger. No idea if that’ll cause problems with stress on it but… wow chefs kiss on that one.
That was actually my least favorite part of the horn. Not nearly as comfortable as the CalderPips Grip I’ve been using. It’s nice that you can easily take it off and use a different grip if you like.
Luke Malewicz
www.LowBrassLuke.com
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

It seemed reasonably easy to also have a custom one bent or to modify the existing one. I like the bullet brace style grips but I really don't like the fact they're all clamping onto the bell brace
Samdance

Post by Samdance »

What does the cut bell Yamaha case look like, I bet it is amazing!
ZacharyThornton

Post by ZacharyThornton »

They didn’t make a cut bell case. Just the standard case.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

ZacharyThornton wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:27 pm They didn’t make a cut bell case. Just the standard case.
and also, the Cut Bell models do not come with any case at all, so you need to buy one. Hopefully they are compatible with screw bell cases on the market.

As for me, I still miss the 90s early 00s maroon box cases like used with the YBL-613H and YBL-612RII. They were bullet proof, and fully supported the bell section of the bell by the bracing. They were slightly bulky but were excellent for protecting the instrument. They also kept the slide at the TOP of the case, where it is less likely for the case to sag and cause problems with the slide alignment.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
modelerdc

Post by modelerdc »

speaking of bullet proof, I just had picked up a YBL822g. They shipped it USPS cross country with no padding at all in a brown paper sack! I cautiously removed the bag and opened the case not knowing what to expect and was surprised when there was no damage at all.
sirisobhakya

Post by sirisobhakya »

:geek:
tbonesullivan wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:56 pm
ZacharyThornton wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:27 pm They didn’t make a cut bell case. Just the standard case.
and also, the Cut Bell models do not come with any case at all, so you need to buy one. Hopefully they are compatible with screw bell cases on the market.

As for me, I still miss the 90s early 00s maroon box cases like used with the YBL-613H and YBL-612RII. They were bullet proof, and fully supported the bell section of the bell by the bracing. They were slightly bulky but were excellent for protecting the instrument. They also kept the slide at the TOP of the case, where it is less likely for the case to sag and cause problems with the slide alignment.
The current case is still quite durable. When I come back from Japan to Thailand I checked it as cargo compartment luggage. Only socks in the bell, some T-shirts in sensitive area, and 2 straps bought from 100 JPY shop. No scratch on the horn.
Chaichan Wiriyaswat
Bangkok, Thailand
“Why did I buy so many horns when I only have one mouth…?”
lmalewic

Post by lmalewic »

I’m waiting on a new cut bell bass trombone case from Gard Bags. I have their cut bell small tenor case which works great. The bass trombone case will be the same design just larger.
Luke Malewicz
www.LowBrassLuke.com

Return to “Instruments”