Bob Williams horns

PatrickVotrian

Bob Williams horns

Post by PatrickVotrian »

Hi. New here. Really nothing to say so I'll re-post something I put on a FB site;

Williams 6, serial number 30xx. Bob's trombones don't get a lot of press, so I'm taking the time to say it now: what an amazing trombone. I'm always surprised at how much sound this horn can take and still keep a beautiful round sound. And it always blends magnificently with any instrument I'm paired up with. It scares me to think what I'd do if something ever happened to it. (I need to find another one!!!)

By the way, since I originally wrote this a while ago something DID happen.
I unpacked my axe 5min before the kick-off, walked off the low stage (in a bar) to join my colleagues, two dogs come in on a very long leash (owner was still outside, stage next to the door), ran around the mic stand, took it with them and the stand crashed into my Williams.

Slide damage. Couldn't play the gig. Horns been repaired but it's not the same. I cane still here it scrape a bit.

Pffff
RJMason

Re: Bob Williams horns

Post by RJMason »

So sorry that happened to your horn! I’m sure it still sounds great, but if the slide ends up bothering you there are quite a few repair people that are superb at what they do. They could get it feeling brand new if you were able to ship it out.

Kind of the reason I sold the Williams I owned for a couple of years (has a Bob crook). Easily one of the greatest trombone sounds I’ve ever gotten. But I was so nervous about something happening to it on most of my gigs that I really only used it on carefully run studio sessions. Incredible horns (probably will own one again one day).
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

Sorry to hear about your horn. I had an Bach LT6 on a K&M stand that tried to commit suicide by leaping off a stone fireplace hearth. The slide damage was not as severe as the damage to the bell which had loose solder rattling in the support stays. I took it to Mike Corrigan at BAC in KC, MO. When I got it back the slide was better than when it was delivered new to me. And it played much better than new. You may have to be specific about what you want them to do. If BAC can get the slide repaired without replacing tubes, it should play as before. If tubing has to be replaced, it may change slightly. It should not play worse than it was. I was able to get used to a few slight changes on other horns that I had repaired if the leadpipe was pulled and tubes were replaced. Good luck.
Last edited by OneTon on Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
Macbone1

Post by Macbone1 »

A backup horn for "risky" (dusty, crowded, rowdy, rugged venue, really sweaty) gigs is a good idea. I unfortunately did not subscribe to my own philosophy and unloaded a fantastic old Holton 65 and an even better Besson 8-10(?) in the recent past. I guess I love my King 2B Jiggs too much to not play it onstage. Haven't booked any risky gigs anyway.
King Jiggs 2BL
Olds Opera
Besson Sovereign Bb/F bass
Holton bass trumpet
B&H Imperial shepherd's crook cornet
PatrickVotrian

Post by PatrickVotrian »

I'm good with bringing another axe to high risk gigs. I just miscalculated the risks with this one. The other side of the coin is that I don't like owning horns I don't use. Right now I own too many trombones for my taste.

Return to “Instruments”