Crossrock case

norbie2018

Crossrock case

Post by norbie2018 »

Does anyone own this case?

https://crossrockcase.com/product/fiber ... ttachment/

Looking to see about the quality and fitment for a Edwards trigger trombone.

Thanks,

Michael
hyperbolica

Re: Crossrock case

Post by hyperbolica »

I just ordered one, it will arrive next week. I'll use it for a 8/88h (closed wrap) and maybe a tr159. You can get them at a discount through Walmart of all places. It ships from Musicians Friend.

I got a blue one. The red looks nice too.
muschem

Post by muschem »

No idea on fitment, but I ran across the carbon fiber version (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BL967NZL) on Amazon earlier in the year. When I reached out to Crossrock for more info, they shared that the CRF3000 version was designed just for their Amazon store, so it doesn't appear on their main site. The CF version has the same interior and overall size/design as the fiberglass model (CRF1020). The main differences are weight and cost.
Mike Shirley

Tenor trombone
Austin Symphonic Band

Bass trombone
Williamson County Symphony Orchestra
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

Interesting that the cf version is of Chinese origin and their fiberglass cases are US made. Also, they weigh the same.
muschem

Post by muschem »

norbie2018 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:56 pm Interesting that the cf version is of Chinese origin and their fiberglass cases are US made. Also, they weigh the same.
That's interesting about the weight. I hadn't actually looked at it before - I just took Crossrock at their word when they said the CF model was lighter. For what it's worth, they also said that the fiberglass version, while slightly heavier, was stronger than the CF model.

I wonder if it is a difference in net weight vs. shipping weight? Amazon often reports shipping weight, which is heavier than the net weight of the item inside the box. For the CF version, Amazon shows an "item weight" of 11.62 pounds. The Crossrock site says the fiberglass model has a shipping weight of 13.22 pounds, and a net weight of 11 pounds. My guess is Amazon's "item weight" isn't the net weight... that's probably somewhat less than 11 lbs. Not much of a difference, more than likely, and in any case it wouldn't be a strong selling point for the same case at almost double the price. :idk:
Mike Shirley

Tenor trombone
Austin Symphonic Band

Bass trombone
Williamson County Symphony Orchestra
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

The one I ordered was definitely fiberglass and listed at 9.5 lbs. It only lists a 3b as a horn that fits, but its similar to my Eastman case, where I carry my 88h and 3bf. Model number CRF1000TBBL

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Crossrock-Bb ... 1794274635
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

It states it fits a 3b like a charm, but advertises fitting horns with f attachments. I'm wondering if it will fit an Edwards. The company makes cases for a plethora of instruments. Thanks for all the input so far!
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

norbie2018 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:00 pm It states it fits a 3b like a charm, but advertises fitting horns with f attachments. I'm wondering if it will fit an Edwards. The company makes cases for a plethora of instruments. Thanks for all the input so far!
Which Edwards and what kind of wrap and valve? My Eastman case fits a 3bf, 8h and 88h (closed wrap) nicely. It will fit wider slides better than the 3b. An open wrap may not fit as well, and axials or Hagmans might not fit well. So we need more info about your Edwards.
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

Edwards 396-AR.
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

Although it looks bigger & a touch clunkier, from the photos, I'd much rather prefer this over my Marcus Bonna jazz trombone case. Thanks for creating this post. I never heard of Crossrock before this.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
Trombola2112

Post by Trombola2112 »

I'd be interested in how they compare in fitting the 3bf. Need a new hard case for mine.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

If you're budget minded... the 3B/F fits in an SKB 360 with just a couple mods.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

The Eastman cases are decent. I have one that I put my 3bf in right now. Not really ideal for 3bf, as the slide is intended for a wider slide and the thumb trigger hits the slide compartment cover a little bit. I've carried 88h style horns in it as well.

The J Winter is probably the old Eastman case, still available https://www.wwbw.com/J-Winter-CE-176-JW ... JeEALw_wcB

BAM makes cases that look similar, but are priced higher. https://www.bamcases.com/collections/tr ... mbone-case They have Jazz, Tenor and Bass sizes, though.

King's nice 3B case can be had for a little more than the Crossrock from Hickeys https://www.hickeys.com/search/products/sku121596.php

Thomann Fibertech cases come in colors, look good, and are relatively cheap https://www.thomannmusic.com/thomann_fi ... e_blue.htm

Gator has one that looks like the Thomann but is considerably more expensive. https://www.sweetwater.com/c1306--Cases ... lsrc=aw.ds

TKL and SKB are more standard-issue student cases, sub $200.
bassclef

Post by bassclef »

I have a friend with the Crossrock case and I had an Eastman for quite a while.

The Crossrock is the exact same design as the Eastman but with better materials, components and assembly all around. On the interior - the foam is nicer, the velour material is thicker, the canvas straps and velcro on the slide cover are at least 300% better and the elastic which holds the compartments closed won't get completely beat out during the first year you own the case. The exterior has nicer latches and hinges and the two halves of the case fit together without any finagling when you close it. The finish also seems to be much more durable.

I've been interested in the carbon fiber version. I wish there was a way to be sure if the shell is actually carbon fiber or if there's just one layer on the outside to give it that carbon fiber appearance. I am hesitant to pull the trigger on one given the price without that certainty.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

My new blue Crossrock arrived today. It's on the left below. My older yellow Eastman (which I think now is made by Jakob Winter) is on the right. They aren't the same design. The Crossrock is larger, and looks like it might accommodate a 9.5" bell if you were careful about it. In the photo, Crossrock is holding 88h and Eastman has a 3bf. Crossrock is also slightly longer due to the full radius at the end, where the Eastman is blunted.

(The Eastman is covered with stickers because my wife put in my head that it looked like a bowling ball).

Crossrock has flaps for the bell section, Eastman does not. Eastman has a raised center section to center the slide in its compartment, Crossrock does not. Crossrock has 4 buckles, one with a TSA lock. Eastman has 3 buckles across the top and one on the curved underside in the short hinge area. I don't like that 4th buckle.

Also, in the 2ns picture, my little waterbottle doesn't fit in the compartment in the Crossrock, but fits easily in the Eastman. This is the biggest annoyance about the case. A small water bottle doesn't fit in a trombone case? Overall, the Crossrock has more interior space, and a second storage compartment (which is also too small for the waterbottle). The Crossrock also has a movable foam block, although there are only a couple of places where you might put it.

Someone asked about an Edwards. There is a 3" space behind the tuning slide. The 3BF trigger does seem to touch the door for the slide compartment, so I'm guessing that this might be the part the Edwards has trouble with. If the trigger on the Eddie sticks further out than a 3BF, or if the wrap is wider, the trigger will hit the slide compartment door harder.

The handle on the Crossrock is big and substantial, and it has a flimsy strap on the curved end (I think this is called a subway handle). The Eastman handle is good, but not as solid, and it has no strap on the end. I think they will both accommodate either a shoulder bandolier or double backpack straps.

Overall, the Crossrock interior feels a little cheap compared to the Eastman. Crossrock has some tags with Chinese characters on it, so it probably wasn't made in the US. The slogan is "A Case For The Many", which is as good a modern Chinese CCP slogan as you'll find.

TLDR: Both cases seem to hold a 547 fine, but the Crossrock is bigger and will accommodate a larger bell, has better handle, buckles and straps. The Eastman has a better slide compartment and a bigger accessory compartment.

[img]
IMG_20240104_144113086_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240104_144432751.jpg
IMG_20240104_144611164.jpg
IMG_20240104_144600945.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by hyperbolica on Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

Thanks for posting this!
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

As a follow up I tried my bass bone in the case. It definite fits the 9.5" bell, but nothing else fits, like the levers, bell throat and the neckpipe. It isn't billed as a bass case anyway, so I didn't expect it to fit, just thought I'd see if the bell flare fit.
basscase.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

Crossrock appears to have a "sock" covering the open slide tubes? Would prevent the dripping complaint in another thread.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

baileyman wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:58 am Crossrock appears to have a "sock" covering the open slide tubes? Would prevent the dripping complaint in another thread.
Yes, actually both Crossrock and Eastman have that.

Old horns very often have a set of scars on the bell where the slide comes loose inside the case and the tenon scrapes the bell. Old cases are notoriously bad at containing the slide. That sleeve takes care of that issue and the water dripping issue at the same time.
AnthonyGTrombone

Post by AnthonyGTrombone »

I recently bought the Carbon Fiber Crossrock to go on tour with.
It's pretty wickedly expensive, I don't think the extra price is worth it. The fiberglass one probably does just as well.

I bought it because I wanted it to match the euphonium case I got to go on tour with,.The only Hard Case, with backpack straps I could get my hands on was the carbon fiber crossrock.

The trombone case is fine. It certainly looks cool, but I can't imagine it does any better than the fiberglass one.
I like the interior for sure, very velvety and soft, held my 3bf well.
I wouldn't trust the outside to hold up real abuse and here's why,

My Euphonium case goes inside a hamper with various other gear and a Tuba. It came already chipped and had to get a second one. Thankfully they accompdated a return. The second one hardly lasted a few trips and already had chips and dings all over. Thankfully it hasn't damaged the inside at all.
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

Those are the joys of any case that does not have a protective cover of some sort.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
Aznguyy

Post by Aznguyy »

hyperbolica wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:30 am The Eastman cases are decent. I have one that I put my 3bf in right now. Not really ideal for 3bf, as the slide is intended for a wider slide and the thumb trigger hits the slide compartment cover a little bit. I've carried 88h style horns in it as well.

The J Winter is probably the old Eastman case, still available https://www.wwbw.com/J-Winter-CE-176-JW ... JeEALw_wcB

BAM makes cases that look similar, but are priced higher. https://www.bamcases.com/collections/tr ... mbone-case They have Jazz, Tenor and Bass sizes, though.

King's nice 3B case can be had for a little more than the Crossrock from Hickeys https://www.hickeys.com/search/products/sku121596.php

Thomann Fibertech cases come in colors, look good, and are relatively cheap https://www.thomannmusic.com/thomann_fi ... e_blue.htm

Gator has one that looks like the Thomann but is considerably more expensive. https://www.sweetwater.com/c1306--Cases ... lsrc=aw.ds

TKL and SKB are more standard-issue student cases, sub $200.
Anyone know if the above mentioned cases will fit Getzen/Edwards style triggers without hitting the slide door? I bought a used Eastman like case case(Shiny case) and will have issues closing the case with my Getzen 1025 and 3047AFR in it.

Return to “Accessories”