More centered sound

bigbandbone

More centered sound

Post by bigbandbone »

I own two bass bones. My 72H lives in Cleveland and I love it! I play mainly big band and I get a very compact, centered, and edgey sound which I love!

My TR180 stays in Florida and I just kind of like it. The sound spreads too much for my taste and not enough edge. It’s bone stock and I’m playing it with a V cup Macinkowitz 1 1/2 G. I’ve also added a 10” piece of peel and stick foam weather stripping to the bell flare which seems to help.

What other mods can I make to the 180 to get the sound I’m after or should I just trade it in on a vintage Conn?
ithinknot

Re: More centered sound

Post by ithinknot »

Nothing else is much like a small taper Conn (71/72/73H), so if that's what you like just get another. Holtons are fundamentally wider sounding, especially with the 10" bell, so don't fight it.

73H if you want a dependent double like the 180. Assuming equivalent condition, valuewise those two would probably be a straight trade, so you might even find someone who wants to swap.
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

Agreed.
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

Are you playing both horns with the same mouthpiece? Is your Marcinkiewicz 1 1/2 G a custom mouthpiece? I am not really seeing a reference to “deep v” on Marcinkiewicz’s site.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Unpopular opinion, but wrap the throat of the bell with leather, tape, or suede. You can add metal rods to add weight. This will give you more focus and fundamental / core.
Last edited by harrisonreed on Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Conns and Holtons are apples and oranges. The 10inch bell doesn’t help on the 180 either. Sounds like you are a vintage Conn guy.
AtomicClock

Post by AtomicClock »

Calderpips tone halo?
meine

Post by meine »

Had a similar problem with my Williams. Put some weight on the handslide and it‘s solved. I taped some plated of lead on it, in total 80 gramms. Works very good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Ugh. I would never do that to a slide.
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

Word of warning: electrical tape like that will trap moisture and corrode the brass.
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

Brass Exchange out of St Louis has a 72H in playable but rough condition at a reasonable price. He takes trades and consignments.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas

Return to “Modification & Repair”