Edwards T396-AR: First Impressions

TromboneSam

Edwards T396-AR: First Impressions

Post by TromboneSam »

My Army Band just got one of these in and I have to say on first impression it is a sweet horn.

I play my .508 equipment 95% of the time but am liking this so far. Very even and responsive across the horn. To me it feels super easy to play on a Bach 4G. I usually play a much smaller rim size but even with the larger piece it didn’t even feel uncomfortable. Not sure exactly how these harmonic bridge weights will affect the horn, but I’m excited to try them out.

The art deco engraving is simple but equally stunning. As is the thumb rest.

Have any of you played one of these yet?

Kdanielsen

Re: Edwards T396-AR: First Impressions

Post by Kdanielsen »

I love mine. Best tenor I’ve ever played.
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Westfield State University and Keene State College
Lecturer of Low Brass

Principal Trombone, New England Repertory Orchestra
2nd Trombone, Glens Falls Symphony
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

The T-396 was the Alessi horn. When Alessi switched to Shires, the T-396 just became a model in the Edwards arsenal. There may have been a couple of changes demanded by Alessi, although I don't think he has any more say in it. The Harmonic Pillars are still there and have been discussed elsewhere. Try different densities and lengths oriented in different directions and in all 3 positions. Each makes a subtle difference in the way the horn responds.

I personally like the new engraving -- I felt the old Alessi one was a bit over the top (gaudy) for me. I wonder if Alessi brought the gaudy engraving over to Shires.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Kdanielsen

Post by Kdanielsen »

BGuttman wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:30 am The T-396 was the Alessi horn. When Alessi switched to Shires, the T-396 just became a model in the Edwards arsenal. There may have been a couple of changes demanded by Alessi, although I don't think he has any more say in it. The Harmonic Pillars are still there and have been discussed elsewhere. Try different densities and lengths oriented in different directions and in all 3 positions. Each makes a subtle difference in the way the horn responds.

I personally like the new engraving -- I felt the old Alessi one was a bit over the top (gaudy) for me. I wonder if Alessi brought the gaudy engraving over to Shires.
They redesigned many aspects of the horn for the AR. New valve, changes to the harmonic bridge, seamed tuning slide, and modular leadpipes (the AR pipe is not the same as the either Alessi pipe btw). There are probably other changes as well.

I like the new engraving too.
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Lecturer of Low Brass

Boneuphtoner

Post by Boneuphtoner »

I think it is a great looking new instrument. Do people have the option of choosing different bells, slides, etc. with this model?
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Boneuphtoner wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:08 am I think it is a great looking new instrument. Do people have the option of choosing different bells, slides, etc. with this model?
No, it only comes in the one configuration. It's not a Modular horn, it's designed to be "solid state". The "harmonic bridge" allows attaching different harmonic pillars that change the resonance and response of the horn.

I also do not think that the leadpipe is removable. I don't see any knurling on the edge, unless it is press fit.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

As I recall, the Alessi leadpipe was soldered in place. Don't know if this carried over to the post-Alessi model.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
TromboneSam

Post by TromboneSam »

At first glance it looks like the leadpipe is pressfit. There’s a seam where the outer edge of it meets the cork barrel, but I don’t see any solder. Definitely not threaded though.
Kdanielsen

Post by Kdanielsen »

tbonesullivan wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:31 am
Boneuphtoner wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:08 am I think it is a great looking new instrument. Do people have the option of choosing different bells, slides, etc. with this model?
No, it only comes in the one configuration. It's not a Modular horn, it's designed to be "solid state". The "harmonic bridge" allows attaching different harmonic pillars that change the resonance and response of the horn.

I also do not think that the leadpipe is removable. I don't see any knurling on the edge, unless it is press fit.
No knurling, but it does screw in and out. I thought they made a mistake when I got mine and soldered in the leadpipe (which is a option). It comes out fine, but I do wish it was knurled.
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Lecturer of Low Brass

TromboneSam

Post by TromboneSam »

I stand corrected! Does anyone know if these horns will fit in the eastman fiberglass tenor cases?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

TromboneSam wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:54 pm I stand corrected! Does anyone know if these horns will fit in the eastman fiberglass tenor cases?
I don't know why it wouldn't.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I love my 396-A. I know it's not the same horn.

One thing I've noticed with the harmonic pillars, if you really want to see how great of a roll those are, try this:

Put the copper #3 or #2 pillar in the bell side hole, with the threads "up", towards the tuning slide. Put the long copper pillar in the middle hole, with the threads facing "down", away from the tuning slide.

In a large room, like your rehearsal hall, try playing with the long pillar screwed in only enough for the threads to peek through the bridge. You may notice that your sound really projects and slaps off the walls. Now try screwing the large pillar in all the way. You'll notice that you can throw a ton of air and fill the entire room with sound.

Try the two things above in a small practice room. By just moving the large pillar in and out, with everything in between also available, you can actually tune the whole horn to play and feel the exact same way no matter what kind of room you're in, or what kind of crap/people is in the room absorbing sound. Gone are the days of being limited by a tiny practice room. It's crazy!
Tbonepts

Post by Tbonepts »

Should be receiving mine in the next few weeks. Can’t wait. Plus 1 for the little guys!
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

Just got mine a few days ago - great horn! The section had lots of good feedback when I brought it into the opera pit the other night. Looking forward to Bruckner 6th next week!

Jim Scott
Aznguyy

Post by Aznguyy »

Burgerbob wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:31 pm
TromboneSam wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:54 pm I stand corrected! Does anyone know if these horns will fit in the eastman fiberglass tenor cases?
Maybe the trigger would stick out too much?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Aznguyy wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:12 pm
Burgerbob wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:31 pm

Maybe the trigger would stick out too much?
More than other similar horns?
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher

Return to “Instruments”