Stolen Greg Black mouthpiece

ttf_HouBassTrombone

Post by ttf_HouBassTrombone »

As a lot of you guys know I have been working with Greg to make a 1 5/16G mouthpiece. Well it is done and I was sending one back to him to use as a template for the rest. It went missing via USPS. Well someone found it on eBay.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Greg-Black-Musical-Instrument-Mouth-Piece-/112418504364?hash=item1a2caa3eac%3Ag%3A2dEAAOSwX61ZJhQ0&_trkparms=pageci%253Adea4ce04-4149-11e7-bec6-74dbd180b82d%257Cparentrq%253A3fb000cc15c0a86004309306ffffd1fc%257Ciid%253A1
That is the listing. Now my question... what do I do next? I have sent a message to the seller and just asked for the mouthpiece back and that I will buy it back if necessary. I also contacted eBay and all they can do is shut down his account until he gives it back to me. Should I do that?
Or should I just win the auction even if it means paying full price again?
Thanks,
Zac
ttf_kbiggs

Post by ttf_kbiggs »

I'm not an attorney, but this sounds like a complicated legal question. I'm sure ebay and USPS have some complicated rules and regs about possession and proof, which could get messy and drag the whole thing out...

However, you can ask yourself: What is most important to you? Do you want the mouthpiece returned so you and Greg can continue collaborating on this project, or do you want the person who is selling the mpc to pay some money (have some pain inflicted) for the trouble that you've experienced (your suffering)? 
ttf_sonicsilver

Post by ttf_sonicsilver »

Report it to the police.

I assume you have some correspondence about it between Greg Black and yourself. And there's the small detail of the piece having your name stamped on it...
ttf_HouBassTrombone

Yeah I just want it back. I don't care if the guy gets in trouble. Next step is the police!
ttf_HouBassTrombone

Ebay offered to shut down the auction. That doesn't help me get the piece back.
ttf_bubbachet

Post by ttf_bubbachet »

Report the theft to the police, file a report, and have an officer report the item stolen to eBay. They will shut down auctions immediately when reported by law enforcement.

ttf_tbathras

Post by ttf_tbathras »

At least this thing *literally* has your name on it.
ttf_crazytrombonist505

Post by ttf_crazytrombonist505 »

If you want to avoid a hassle, you might just try to bid on and win the auction. I know that seems very unfair to you to have to spend money on a piece that was stolen from you, but you may just want to get it back quickly and be done with this whole thing. Having eBay end the auction won't gaurantee that you'll get your item back anyway. Trying to contact the seller about doing a buy it now instead of the auction might work (if you offer enough) but the item already has been bid on and the seller may not want to end the auction. Guess you could always try though.

Just my two cents.

Good luck getting it back!

Zach
ttf_HouBassTrombone

^that is my thinking...
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

You could potentially win it and then file a claim with PayPal or something but as I mentioend on facebook, law enforcement might have a less underhanded way of dealing with the situation.
ttf_HouBassTrombone

PayPal was never involved though...
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

I mean if you decide to purchase it from this guy.
ttf_bubbachet

Post by ttf_bubbachet »

Might help to remind the seller he's complicit in the receipt of stolen property...with a case number and contact information for the local officer handling your case.
ttf_oslide

Post by ttf_oslide »

You've invested a lot of time in this mouthpiece and thus it' worth much more than the nominal price?
I would buy it in order to secure it and THEN take legal action. If you can prove that it was stolen from you, you should be able to get your money back.

ttf_Dan Hine

Post by ttf_Dan Hine »

I may be alone in this but I'll say it anyway.

I've received items in the mail before where the packaging was all but obliterated.  Seriously, all that was left was a sad remnant of an envelope that happened to have the address and postage.  Contents lost and/or destroyed.  The USPS auctions off items that are undeliverable, unclaimed, damaged, and claim-paid. 

All you KNOW right now is that the person who has your mouthpiece is not the person you sent it to.  That doesn't mean it's stolen - at least not by the ebay seller.  If you suspect that it was stolen and want to pursue that route, file a police report.

Otherwise, just win the auction.

ttf_jbeckett

Post by ttf_jbeckett »

Bad part about it: I bid on it, in hopes it was legit, before I knew it was the missing piece.
From here, you can't do a lot. Legally, possession is 9/10ths. It sucks.
ttf_HouBassTrombone

According to eBay they can cancel the auction and the person's account until they return the mouthpiece to me. That being said.. that doesn't guarantee that I get it back. So I am just going to buy the mouthpiece and hope no one snipes it from me.
It is unfair that I have to buy something that is mine but hey it happens.
ttf_jbeckett

Post by ttf_jbeckett »

It is. Did he offer you a buy it now deal? It's amazing people sell items that aren't theirs. Morals have gone.
ttf_HouBassTrombone

The buy it now was gone by the time I saw it. I tried contacting the seller to see if I can just give him a large finders fees for it.
ttf_Pre59

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

Just make sure that you leave negative feedback and make it clear that the seller is dealing in stolen goods if the 'piece is lost for good.
ttf_jbeckett

Post by ttf_jbeckett »

fayetteville ga police department needs to contact ebay and get his contact info. then theres a warrant for stolen property. they sell a lot on ebay and no seller wants to get a "stolen" rating on their feedback.  that will get it returned back to you promptly.
ttf_Euphanasia

Post by ttf_Euphanasia »

The seller seems to be a liquidator of miscellaneous merchandise. Sometimes they pick things up at USPS auctions, or through other legitimate means. I wouldn't be so quick to assume that he actually stole it.

There will come a day when you'll see someone selling a couple of raw brass, highly-polished Mount Vernon 12Cs, a few handslide braces, and some bell braces, all of which were in a package that got lost on its way to Anderson Plating. USPS couldn't find them for me, but someone has them. I got $50 in insurance out of the deal...  Image
ttf_HouBassTrombone

Image sorry man!
It was stolen from me in some manner (lost by PO) and I just want to get it back. Even if it means just buying it.
ttf_Dan Hine

Post by ttf_Dan Hine »

Quote from: Euphanasia on May 25, 2017, 05:10PMThe seller seems to be a liquidator of miscellaneous merchandise. Sometimes they pick things up at USPS auctions, or through other legitimate means. I wouldn't be so quick to assume that he actually stole it.

Sounds familiar... Image
ttf_Euphanasia

Post by ttf_Euphanasia »

Quote from: HouBassTrombone on May 25, 2017, 05:13PMImage sorry man!
It was stolen from me in some manner (lost by PO) and I just want to get it back. Even if it means just buying it.

Sorry, I wasn't referring to you. I was referring to people who were recommending that you leave negative feedback or stating that the seller was immoral. We don't know that the seller is unwilling to return it, unless the seller has responded to you already. He's had less than 24 hours to respond.

As Dan pointed out, he said pretty much the same thing in an earlier post.

ttf_kbiggs

Post by ttf_kbiggs »

Again,

Quote from: kbiggs on May 25, 2017, 07:15AM...ask yourself: What is most important to you? Do you want the mouthpiece returned so you and Greg can continue collaborating on this project, or do you want the person who is selling the mpc to pay some money (have some pain inflicted) for the trouble that you've experienced (your suffering)? 

It sounds like you want the mpc back and then, if possible, find out what happened and maybe get some money back. Focus on that. One thing at a time. Buy the mouthpiece; get it back in your hands; then file any claims or legal action.
ttf_HouBassTrombone

Yep! I am waiting on doing anything until I hear from the seller. After that I will hopefully just win the auction. Never used eBay before though.
ttf_Euphanasia

Post by ttf_Euphanasia »

Anyone who has already bid can cancel their bids. That would lower the price.
ttf_sonicsilver

Quote from: Dan Hine on May 25, 2017, 11:23AM
I've received items in the mail before where the packaging was all but obliterated.  Seriously, all that was left was a sad remnant of an envelope that happened to have the address and postage.  Contents lost and/or destroyed.  The USPS auctions off items that are undeliverable, unclaimed, damaged, and claim-paid. 

All you KNOW right now is that the person who has your mouthpiece is not the person you sent it to.  That doesn't mean it's stolen - at least not by the ebay seller. 

That's a very good point.

If I'd acquired a mouthpiece in good faith and a seller approached me saying it was theirs, with his name stamped on it (perhaps not Roberts, Premru or Pryor...) I'd be very willing to return it as long as I saw some proof of ownership, paperwork about the loss etc.
ttf_schlitzbeer

Post by ttf_schlitzbeer »

Zach has title to the mouthpiece via paperwork and his name is on the mouthpiece. Unknowingly selling stolen merchandise means nothing. As the mail was used, its federal level stuff. File a police report, send a copy to a postal inspector, eBay to shutdown the auction, and pay the seller a finders fee. Don't need to make it more complicated.

Heck, I've done storage unit auctions where the stuff I got was stolen. Stuff gets stolen in the mail all of the time, and it's rising with identity theft. When I haven't fought a claim, I've settled with auctioneers and the rightful owners. Most people like to do the right things.
ttf_sonicsilver

Quote from: schlitzbeer on May 26, 2017, 01:34AMUnknowingly selling stolen merchandise means nothing.

But as Dan Hine already pointed out, we don't know that the item was stolen, rather than merely lost in the post and acquired in good faith by the ebay seller in a USPS sell off or similar.
ttf_schlitzbeer

Quote from: sonicsilver on May 26, 2017, 02:34AMBut as Dan Hine already pointed out, we don't know that the item was stolen, rather than merely lost in the post and acquired in good faith by the ebay seller in a USPS sell off or similar.

eBay has already offered to shutdown the auction. I can file a police report online in Bremerton, and have a report w/case number, to hand to a postal inspector in 1 business day.
ttf_Dan Hine

Post by ttf_Dan Hine »

ttf_schlitzbeer

Shirley, I picked the wrong week to stop snorting glue. Don't eat the fish.
ttf_jbeckett

Post by ttf_jbeckett »

gents-
i was the guy who let zack know about the piece being on ebay, and had already bid, when i saw his classified advertisement.  I contacted the seller, without zach knowing (hopefully not getting on zack's nerves at all, because id surely like one of those 1-5/16th pieces), hoping the seller would be reasonable, and sell it back to zack for what they paid for it (which i am sure wasn't squat because they buy items from the usps in "lots") plus a finders fee.  seller said, "no".  Since they are told that what they are buying is "legal" to buy even though it is someone elses property, they saw no reason to do so. in other words: they're douchebags.  pardon the language.

i withdrew my bid. it didn't effect the price at all, unless everyone bidding is going to do the same. 
another bad part is that the usps may or may not have paid out an insurance claim, then found the piece, then auctioned it off, and most likely (almost assuredly) didn't get as much for it as they would have if they would have contacted its rightful owner.

this pisses me off as I've had items lost before, tracking said it was stuck somewhere, then ordered a replacement, and received the original item. Then I sent the item back when the replacement arrived.  i assume it doesn't work that way anymore.  i guess people aren't moral, especially when it comes to something they make money off of.  and the average cost per piece at a usps auction is...

wait for it...

about the cost of a postage stamp.

id ask ebay to let you contact they bidders and shut the auction down, and freeze the sellers account. then contact the seller, via phone or email, and offer them a fair price.  evidently, from how the seller spoke, this isnt the first time this has happened.

JBeckett

ttf_Blackthorne

Post by ttf_Blackthorne »

Quote from: jbeckett on May 26, 2017, 09:57AMgents-
i was the guy who let zack know about the piece being on ebay, and had already bid, when i saw his classified advertisement.  I contacted the seller, without zach knowing (hopefully not getting on zack's nerves at all, because id surely like one of those 1-5/16th pieces), hoping the seller would be reasonable, and sell it back to zack for what they paid for it (which i am sure wasn't squat because they buy items from the usps in "lots") plus a finders fee.  seller said, "no".  Since they are told that what they are buying is "legal" to buy even though it is someone elses property, they saw no reason to do so. in other words: they're douchebags.  pardon the language.

i withdrew my bid. it didn't effect the price at all, unless everyone bidding is going to do the same. 
another bad part is that the usps may or may not have paid out an insurance claim, then found the piece, then auctioned it off, and most likely (almost assuredly) didn't get as much for it as they would have if they would have contacted its rightful owner.

this pisses me off as I've had items lost before, tracking said it was stuck somewhere, then ordered a replacement, and received the original item. Then I sent the item back when the replacement arrived.  i assume it doesn't work that way anymore.  i guess people aren't moral, especially when it comes to something they make money off of.  and the average cost per piece at a usps auction is...

wait for it...

about the cost of a postage stamp.

id ask ebay to let you contact they bidders and shut the auction down, and freeze the sellers account. then contact the seller, via phone or email, and offer them a fair price.  evidently, from how the seller spoke, this isnt the first time this has happened.

JBeckett

Given that we now know that the seller isn't willing to do the right thing, I'd say it's definitely time to play hardball.  You shouldn't have to pay to get what's rightfully yours, and someone who has clearly shown that he wants to profit off of your misfortune doesn't deserve to profit from it. 
ttf_Posaunus

Post by ttf_Posaunus »

Unless Zachary lost track of this mouthpiece quite a while ago (doubtful - he was eager to get it from Greg Black, so was on top of the shipment in a timely manner), this mouthpiece was not legally obtained by the eBay seller in a USPS auction.  USPS does not auction off their lost stuff for months after they collect it.  The eBay seller surely has no record of purchasing it.  The mouthpiece was, in effect, stolen.  This is a criminal case that should be pursued by the authorities.   

Good luck, Zachary. 
ttf_HouBassTrombone

Greg was supposed to get it April 10th.
ttf_Doug Elliott

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

Was there insurance on it?  Priority Mail automatic insurance?
ttf_HouBassTrombone

^ Yep. The automatic $50.
ttf_Doug Elliott

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

Then the post office owned it to do as they saw fit when it was found.  You were paid.  You can't say it was stolen from you.
ttf_HouBassTrombone

I haven't even collected that yet. In fact, I was told I needed to wait until June to get that claim.
ttf_jalapeno

Post by ttf_jalapeno »

I sold a piece recently for $66

I insured it for $100

Cost about $2.50 extra

Piece of mind is (always) worth it imo
ttf_Euphanasia

Post by ttf_Euphanasia »

I lost around $225 worth of parts when a Priority Mail package was lost. The $50 was cold comfort. I use "Shipsaver" insurance now. Way cheaper than USPS, and I've heard only good things about them.

I did write to the seller asking where they got the item. This is their response:

"We bid on lots at a government auction which is lost mail. That is how we get all items we sell. It is perfectly legal. All we know that this is lost mail."

Fact is, they know much more than that since they've been informed that it was a special piece. They aren't breaking any laws, but they could certainly cut you some slack.
ttf_jbeckett

Post by ttf_jbeckett »

I did write to the seller asking where they got the item. This is their response:

"We bid on lots at a government auction which is lost mail. That is how we get all items we sell. It is perfectly legal. All we know that this is lost mail."

Fact is, they know much more than that since they've been informed that it was a special piece. They aren't breaking any laws, but they could certainly cut you some slack.
[/quote]

Durn right they should cut him some slack. You're the fourth that I know of that has informed them of what is going on. Something that would even be better is if:
A) whoever won the piece gave it back to Zack
Or B) everyone retracted their bids

I'm still watching the item. We will see what happens.

ttf_Dan Hine

Post by ttf_Dan Hine »

Quote from: jbeckett on May 26, 2017, 07:55PM

A) whoever won the piece gave it back to Zack
Or B) everyone retracted their bids

I'm still watching the item. We will see what happens.

Well, we'll have to hope that whoever wins understands the situation and/or everyone who bid is a Trombone Forum member.

I'd like to offer up option C.

C:  Actually, I'll keep it to myself for now until after the auction is over.  PM me if you're just dying to know.

ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Bear in mind too that the person only allegedly purchased at an auction. That does not exonerate this person as it could still be theft in some capacity. They should have some kind of receipt proving purchase if they did so at auction.
ttf_crazytrombonist505

Quote from: Dan Hine on May 26, 2017, 08:02PMWell, we'll have to hope that whoever wins understands the situation and/or everyone who bid is a Trombone Forum member.

That would be great for Zac, but it is very very unlikely I'm afraid  Image
ttf_crazytrombonist505

Just checked now and the mouthpiece is up to $177  Image

Hopefully it won't go ridiculously high...

Good luck getting it back Zac!
ttf_HouBassTrombone

I can't believe that it is going this high with days left Image

Return to “Mouthpieces”