Improving improv

Rededshred

Improving improv

Post by Rededshred »

Hi all. I wasn't to sure where to post this, it's part of my performance so I'll post here?
So anyway, I've been playing trombone for about 5 years and looking for ways to improve my improvising solos, my improv is quite good at home, creative, playful even at rehearsal it's getting better and better.. then we do a show and it kinda all goes out the window, I get lost and generally somehow blag my way through it.. I did the "effortlessly mastery" meditation which was great, really helped me get to that relaxed place where you need to be before a performance.
Question,, is there anything else out there that I can absorb?
Podcasts books etc etc?
Cheers.
Ed.
Geordie

Re: Improving improv

Post by Geordie »

Do a search of the forum. For example:
viewtopic.php?t=23146&hilit=Improvisation
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is not a rehearsal
Rededshred

Post by Rededshred »

Geordie wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:55 am Do a search of the forum. For example:
viewtopic.php?t=23146&hilit=Improvisation
I have searched quite a bit but can only find info on technique and approach with regards method etc. I'm really after almost psychological approaches, ways that I can take my relaxed playful, inquisitive approach from the rehearsal room to the stage without overthinking/overplaying. It's more a state of mind if you know what I mean.
As I said, the effortless mastery meditation was really good and I definitely noticed flowing improvements and a more relaxed approach. I'm going to continue with this but I'm asking if there is anything else out there like that? Podcasts, meditations etc etc
tbdana

Post by tbdana »

IMHO there is no substitute for flight time. When you do a great many performances, it becomes routine and no longer a reason for nervousness or leaving your "quite good, creative, playful even" soloing. Find every place possible to improvise before an audience. And most important of all, don't be afraid to fail. Don't be afraid to make a fool of yourself. After a while, improvising in performance just becomes normal. It's just another thing you do.
Nolankberk

Post by Nolankberk »

Play more!
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

You need to find somewhere to play chorus after chorus.

Jazz camp? Comm College?

Return to “Performance”