What’s the story on Stork mpcs?

Bach5G

What’s the story on Stork mpcs?

Post by Bach5G »

Who plays/played them? John Stork has been making mpcs for a long time. Pretty reasonably priced.
Aspenforest

Re: What’s the story on Stork mpcs?

Post by Aspenforest »

I've played on one but it was a very long time ago. I just remember that at that time it was much too large of a piece for me to play on bass
Victoria
She/They
ryebrye

Post by ryebrye »

I've been to their location a couple of times. Phyllis Stork is amazing. They have a wall full of signed photos from artists thanking them for helping them find a perfect mouthpiece (principal horn players from all over). There were a handful of trombone players up on the wall, but a ton of trumpet and French horn players.

If you can get a time to do a consultation with Phyllis, she can help find a mouthpiece that works.
Briande

Post by Briande »

I love mine. Been using a T2 for jazz lead for about the past 2 years. Just got the 1.5 for my bass. I’ll admit the 1.5 seems a bit bigger than the Bach 1.5 I tried before.
I’m not a collector, I just have too many trombones….
King 2B. King 3B. King 3B+ w/F attachment and gold brass bell. King Duo Gravis. Getzen 1047FR. Conn 6H. Conn 48H.
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

Beautifully made. John Stork and his wife Phyllis know exactly what they are doing, and their trumpet mouthpieces and range of knowledge working with trumpet players are second to none.

They made me a few custom pieces years ago. For me, their heavy trombone pieces are too heavy and their light pieces are too light. But I have friends who play one or the other very happily, so different strokes.
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

Briande wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:14 pm I love mine. Been using a T2 for jazz lead for about the past 2 years. Just got the 1.5 for my bass. I’ll admit the 1.5 seems a bit bigger than the Bach 1.5 I tried before.
Their 1.5 is closer to a Bach 1-1/4G. I think they have made some custom pieces that are closer to a Bach 1-1/2. I'm sure they could do one for you.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

I've tried a few Stork mouthpieces, and been generally impressed.

Those that I like:
• Custom BT 4.5 (large shank) Cup I.D 25.60mm; Throat 7.14mm (Overall cup volume between Bach 4G & 5G)

• Custom T1 (small shank) Cup I.D. 25.22mm; Throat 6.63mm (6½AL "equivalent" - but better in every way)
• Custom T2 (small shank) Cup I.D. 24.69mm; Throat 5.79mm (An "improved" 7C)

Not my favorite:
• New York #5 Heavy (large shank) Cup I.D ~25.5mm; Throat 7.14mm (Too heavy for me)
• Custom T3 (small shank) Cup I.D. 24.5mm; Throat 5.79mm (Supposedly a sub for an 11C or 12C. Too small for me.)
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

GabrielRice wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:21 pm Their 1.5 is closer to a Bach 1-1/4G.
I was surprised to see you say this, but you may be right. I have a Stork 1 1/2 and really like it. It doesn't seem to me to be a 1 1/4 size (and Stork does have both 1 1/4 and a 1 sizes that I've also tried). But I haven't tried a Bach 1 1/4 for about 10 years. Maybe it's like a Bach 1 3/8? :lol: I think the major difference may be in the throat and backbore? Anyway, if it is closer in some sense to a Bach 1 1/4G, that might explain why I like it. :roll:
Last edited by ghmerrill on Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K9/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

ghmerrill wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:26 am
GabrielRice wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:21 pm Their 1.5 is closer to a Bach 1-1/4G.
I was surprised to see you say this, but you may be right. I have a Stork 1 1/2 and really like it. It doesn't seem to me to be a 1 1/4 size (and Stork does have both 1 1/4 and a 1 sizes that I've also tried). But I haven't tried a Bach 1 1/4 for about 10 years. Maybe it's like a Bach 1 3/8? :lol: I think the major difference may; be in the throat and backbore? Anyway, if it is closer in some sense to a Bach 1 1/4G, that might explain why I like it. :roll:
Well Gabe is right. It might not be exactly a 1 and 1/4 size by whatever measurements you know but it's definitely bigger than a standard Bach 1 and 1/2G. And the throat and the backbore are not the only major differences when comparing to a Bach 1 and 1/2. The rim is wider across the top and the weight, whether it be the standard or light version, falls on either side of the Bach.
bitbckt

Post by bitbckt »

I played on a T1 for many years. I have a few of their other pieces, but that one in particular was a great fit for what I needed. Wonderful people and an excellent facility.
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

bitbckt wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:05 am Wonderful people and an excellent facility.
I've not been to the facility, but they are great people to deal with. I continue to be somewhat shocked at the relatively low prices of their mouthpieces -- considering the competition and the high quality of the Stork pieces. They also do various kinds of custom work -- such as threading mouthpieces for replaceable rims, plating, etc. -- and appear to be very flexible in that area as well. Very customer-focused.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Amati Oval Euph
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

... and the 1.25 is pretty close to a 113 ID in DE terms. (Quite a bit bigger than a Bach 1 1/4 and and just a little past a 59, but remaining in that area conceptwise, as opposed to 1G/60 territory.)

I think their naming may be a bit "spiritual", like Griego does for different series, or Curry, where it's less "Bach numbers" and more "this is what we think people who play this size really want". Makes sense... measuring standards vary and don't tell you that much anyway.

No idea about consistency from a sample of one, but their gold plating is immaculate and, as you say, they're pretty inexpensive.
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

ithinknot wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:25 am ... and the 1.25 is pretty close to a 113 ID in DE terms. (Quite a bit bigger than a Bach 1 1/4 and and just a little past a 59, but remaining in that area conceptwise, as opposed to 1G/60 territory.)
I think my perceptions have been somewhat distorted by my bass trombone mouthpiece history -- though ID doesn't tell the whole story. Once I went down the DE path, I abandoned other alternatives (but kept the Stork!) and over time increased the size of things to the set-up I have now -- so there's been a kind of Ship of Theseus effect.

I guess I still tend to think of my DE combination as "my DE mouthpiece" -- a kind of 1.5 G with "improvements". :lol: But in truth it appears to be pretty well into the 1.25G range , and some argument might be made that it's encroaching into the 1G range (quite recently I bumped my rim size up to a 114 and went to Doug's new K10 shank), and Doug's own comparison chart suggests that. But my own recollection (from years ago) was that the 1G (and the Yeo) were WAY too big for me.

This process may have distorted my sense of where the Stork 1.5 fits in the spectrum. But I only recently gave the Stork 1.25 and 1 a try, and neither seemed overly large to me. :roll:
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Amati Oval Euph
btone

Post by btone »

I played a Bach 1 1/2G for years and was able to go between Bach 1 1/2G and the Stork 1 1/2G with minimal difficulty. While slightly larger, I don't think it's very far in feel from the Bach and actually feels not quite as large as the Symington 1 1/2 to me. As one who doesn't really like heavyweight mouthpieces, I like the mouthpiece. There were times when I appreciated the fact that gave more weight to the sound then a Bach 1 1/2 G for certain applications.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

btone wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:01 am I played a Bach 1 1/2G for years and was able to go between Bach 1 1/2G and the Stork 1 1/2G with minimal difficulty. While slightly larger, I don't think it's very far in feel from the Bach and actually feels not quite as large as the Symington 1 1/2 to me. As one who doesn't really like heavyweight mouthpieces, I like the mouthpiece. There were times when I appreciated the fact that gave more weight to the sound then a Bach 1 1/2 G for certain applications.
Very interesting. My thoughts exactly!!
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

I play a 1S. I think it's a fantastic mouthpiece.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
trombonedemon

Post by trombonedemon »

One of the first mouthpieces I bought 3 years ago when I started to play bass. Greeeeeeeat sounding piece 👌. They needed much bigger options. And don't come close to what I'm using now. I really like the design though. .323 backbore on there largest bass piece. And the cup is on point, nice and deep. Inner rim though, my chops wanted out from extreme registers. High and low needed to much of a shift. Still perfectly usable. Nice and heavy.
Conn 112 H w/bored out rotors w/heavyweight caps, Sterling Silver Edward's B3 and Shires B3 leadpipe w/62H slide. Long Island Brass Comp Dimensions 29.5 inner rim .323 backbore solid silver lefreque
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

trombonedemon wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:01 pm One of the first mouthpieces I bought 3 years ago when I started to play bass. Greeeeeeeat sounding piece 👌. They needed much bigger options. And don't come close to what I'm using now. I really like the design though. .323 backbore on there largest bass piece. And the cup is on point, nice and deep. Inner rim though, my chops wanted out from extreme registers. High and low needed to much of a shift. Still perfectly usable. Nice and heavy. I bought a second one b/c of the bore and cup. If you find a rim you like and like projects.
That's funny. That's exactly what I like about the Stork. The inner rim diameter is not as huge as some of the other "big" bass bone mouthpieces, but everything else is big.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
jacobgarchik

Post by jacobgarchik »

I have used Storks for about 25 years, since Dave Taylor told me about them.
I use a T1 with a Bach 36, Conn 78H and 82H, and for baritones and euphoniums too. T2 with the lighter blank on a Conn 6h. T3 with a 4h. 4 and 5 with Bach 42 and a 1.5 with a Bach 50.
There are a great value for a small batch, boutique company, with great quality control.
Last edited by jacobgarchik on Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AtomicClock

Post by AtomicClock »

I have a Stork 5 S (large shank) from maybe 20 years ago. Is that the same as what they now call BT 5?
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

For those that have tried both the heavy and lightweight versions, and also the standard vs 'S' backbores, can you comment on how the felt and what tended to be what people might gravitate towards?
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

I think it would be best for you to try those alternatives out yourself. Stork does have a trial policy, and Mouthpiece Express does as well. It might cost you a bit in shipping to return them, but it's a good investment. I did that about a year ago in thinking of trying a Stork BT 1.25 or BT 1 in favor of my 1.5. For my purposes, after trying those, I decided to stick with my Stork BT 1.5 as a now and then alternative to my DE set-up.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Amati Oval Euph

Return to “Mouthpieces”