Army Bands (Loan Repayment Program)

Looking for opportunities?
harrisonreed

Army Bands (Loan Repayment Program)

Post by harrisonreed »

Hi all, I am just posting to let everyone know that the college loan repayment program is back for MOS 42R, Army Bandsman. It's a very good and viable career. My brass quintet is doing a concert tour across the Midwest colleges, and we'll be talking about the career, and promoting this:
army band.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/USAREC/posts/798878508944720/

Just posting for info! Please PM me with any questions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
art

Re: Army Bands (Loan Repayment Program)

Post by art »

Every single musician in the military (well except for one unnamed trumpet player) was a real joy to work with. I've even had some friends start as an army bandsman and then go into becoming a navy MU or whatever the other branches call them. Cycling through the branches every four years.

Health, dental, and vision insurance, 401k, paid leave... Pretty close to being a full time performer as you can possibly get these days. Plus sign on bonuses and loan repayment...
tbdana

Post by tbdana »

Did they change the MOS at some point? When I was in the Army my MOS was O2E.
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

I'm curious, is the loan repayment up to 65k similar to the Federal Governments loan reimbursement plan? Or is it an immediate (up to) $65k towards your students loan?
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

JLivi wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:12 am I'm curious, is the loan repayment up to 65k similar to the Federal Governments loan reimbursement plan? Or is it an immediate (up to) $65k towards your students loan?
The details are right here:

https://myarmybenefits.us.army.mil/Bene ... )?serv=122

But the bottom line is that the Army will pay 33.33% of your loan, each year, up to three years, up to a total of $65,000 less taxes. They are probably expecting 3-4 year contracts, and are spreading it over that period.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

So Harrison, I take if you are no longer in Japan? Where are you stationed now?
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Mikebmiller wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:04 pm So Harrison, I take if you are no longer in Japan? Where are you stationed now?
I am in Kansas. Ft. Riley!

I miss Japan a lot, and the tours we did, but Kansas ain't bad. We sure could use more musicians though. Right now I'm playing tuba parts on bass trombone in the BQ. Stuff like Ewald III lays really well, but there are a couple pieces that I had to put a lot of work in to pull off on bass. La Forza is one of them.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

tbdana wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:04 am Did they change the MOS at some point? When I was in the Army my MOS was O2E.
Yes, it's 42R now. You would be a 42R9E, as a trombonist.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

harrisonreed wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:55 pm
tbdana wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:04 am Did they change the MOS at some point? When I was in the Army my MOS was O2E.
Yes, it's 42R now. You would be a 42R9E, as a trombonist.
That sounds like it should be a Bach model.
MBurner

Post by MBurner »

There are very few jobs that are more secure and offer better benefits than the U.S. Military Bands. If you’re reading this and in school, or just finished school, don’t wait for the next opening in the Chicago Symphony in poverty. Get a good job that provides a good lifestyle. Hate it after 4? Do something else. At least then you have zero debt, the myriad of loans that you get as an active duty servicemember (VA, GI) and experience as a professional musician. I know I’d rather have the security of the Army Band in Ft. Bliss than the issues of the San Antonio Symphony. Doubly so if I have a family.
If anyone has questions about any of the Bands, please feel free to PM me (or Harrison above!).
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

If you choose this career route go in with eyes wide open: you could become cannon fodder if they determine the need. Just because it hasn't happened in decades - deployment of military bandsmen to a war zone - does not mean it cannot happen again.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

norbie2018 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:05 pm If you choose this career route go in with eyes wide open: you could become cannon fodder if they determine the need.
Or you could be honorably defending your country!
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

Posaunus wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:57 pm
norbie2018 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:05 pm If you choose this career route go in with eyes wide open: you could become cannon fodder if they determine the need.
Or you could be honorably defending your country!
That's OK, but my point is someone has to know this is a possibility before choosing this career route.

Return to “Gigs, Events, Jobs, & Vacancies”