Lessons

How and what to teach and learn.
MrHCinDE

Lessons

Post by MrHCinDE »

I‘ve been playing low brass for more than 30 years and got to a decent amateur level on trombone, euphonium, tuba and a few others. I last had regular lessons in about 1999/2000.

I had a couple of online lessons during COVID which were very good and gave me lots to work on but finally got around to having a proper series of five face-to-face lessons.

It‘s amazing (or perhaps not) what sort of bad habits have sneaked in, or were perhaps always there. It’s been a real eye opener and with some distance the best investment I‘ve made on trombone-related things.

Do any other experienced players (amateur or pro) on here have regular lessons? Even the top athletes have coaches…
MStarke

Re: Lessons

Post by MStarke »

I consider myself to be somewhat semi-professional (studied trombone, but have a completely different job today --> playing mostly for fun).

A few years ago - after not having had lessons for around 10 years - I really wanted to increase my progress again and adress specific things in my playing that have usually been difficult for me.

So in Covid times I started taking online lessons every few weeks. Most were with a very well-known US studio trombonist which was incredibly helpful. We worked a lot on basic playing mechanics, practice routines, but also musical aspects such as phrasings, vibrato etc. Didn't have a lesson for 3-4 months now due to some other things on my end, but definitely want to pick it up again.

I also had single lessons with some others which were also always great and very helpful. I try to pick teachers that I expect can share something new. I also have a few more on my list.

I think on an advanced level it's not always easy to find a suitable teacher, but on the other hand teachers across the world are much more accessible today than a few years back.
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 2x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, 88HT, Greenhoe 88HT, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h/62h, Greenhoe TIS, Conn 60h/"62h"
tbdana

Post by tbdana »

I had a professional career for many years. I'm a huge believer in taking lessons from anyone and everyone you admire, even if it's just a single lesson each. I've always felt that every great player has something to offer me, and for a few bucks I can go get it and make it mine. And there's certainly nothing to lose.
Nolankberk

Post by Nolankberk »

My teacher is a full time player, and while he was in NY he took a bunch of lessons from people he listened to
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

tbdana wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:17 am And there's certainly nothing to lose.
Yeah, couldn’t agree more, it‘s some kind of partnership between the local „Volkshochschule“ and music school (ours is in the town castle so some unusual teaching rooms). I don‘t know if they have some support funding but 145€ for a package of 5 x half hour lessons seems very reasonable.
MStarke wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:10 am We worked a lot on basic playing mechanics, practice routines, but also musical aspects such as phrasings, vibrato etc.
Sounds familiar to me

My teacher is really excellent and I‘m hoping to book another set of lessons to continue the good work.

It would be interesting to hear the teachers‘ perspective on this also. What are the challenges of persuading stubborn fools like me to make positive changes?

Return to “Teaching & Learning”