shipping mouthpieces

Spin your yarns here.
AtomicClock

shipping mouthpieces

Post by AtomicClock »

I have some mouthpieces to sell. What's the usual way to ship them? Padded envelope?
Burgerbob

Re: shipping mouthpieces

Post by Burgerbob »

Small box, packaged so they can't move in the box. Don't use an envelope.

Flat rate small boxes will fit mouthpieces, but are much more expensive than finding your own small boxes.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

If it's more than one mouthpiece you may end up paying Priority rate even if you're trying to save a couple dollars by using your own box. The Priority boxes are free, and the perfect size.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
HawaiiTromboneGuy

Post by HawaiiTromboneGuy »

Has anyone found a cheaper way to ship them internationally? I have two mouthpieces I’m planning to ship to Australia, and it’s looking like the cheapest option via USPS is $39 for first class international. The box weighs 1.1 lbs and is 8.5” L x 4.5” W x 4” H.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Drew A.
Professional bum.
bitbckt

Post by bitbckt »

PirateShip would likely save you some shekels on that quote.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

A box that size is adding too much weight. It's probably cheaper if you can get it under 1 lb. Bubble wrap and a plastic padded envelope.
HawaiiTromboneGuy

Bubble wrapped in a padded plastic envelope is enough protection for international shipping? I just assumed a box would be most durable for the trip internationally, but I might give your suggestion a shot if it’ll cut the cost significantly.
Drew A.
Professional bum.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Yes, international shipping has become crazy expensive. I recently sent a mouthpiece to Australia, using PayPal's "discount" shipping. Per instructions from USPS: Large sturdy "flat rate" envelope (had to be large enough to accommodate international label & customs form), modestly padded, less than 1 pound: US$45.57 including tracking. Used to be much cheaper. :horror:

At least the (unboxed) mouthpiece in the padded envelope arrived in perfect condition. :shuffle:
HawaiiTromboneGuy

Posaunus wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:42 am Yes, international shipping has become crazy expensive. I recently sent a mouthpiece to Australia, using PayPal's "discount" shipping. Per instructions from USPS: Large sturdy "flat rate" envelope (had to be large enough to accommodate international label & customs form), modestly padded, less than 1 pound: US$45.57 including tracking. Used to be much cheaper. :horror:
Damn, hearing that makes me think I’m getting a great rate at $39. Do you know if it was $45 for priority service or for their first class shipping?
Drew A.
Professional bum.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

This is why I straight up try not to ship anything overseas. Even if you quote a ridiculously high price for shipping, they will come up with a way to make it more expensive, and then everyone is upset. I have never even broke even shipping anything overseas. I'm usually out $10.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

HawaiiTromboneGuy wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:45 am
Posaunus wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:42 am Yes, international shipping has become crazy expensive. I recently sent a mouthpiece to Australia, using PayPal's "discount" shipping. Per instructions from USPS: Large sturdy "flat rate" envelope (had to be large enough to accommodate international label & customs form), modestly padded, less than 1 pound: US$45.57 including tracking. Used to be much cheaper. :horror:
Damn, hearing that makes me think I’m getting a great rate at $39. Do you know if it was $45 for priority service or for their first class shipping?
Perhaps I should have gone to USPS directly, instead of relying on the PayPal shipping label.
I believe it was First Class, not Priority. $200 insurance included. Arrived safely within 10 days.

Shipment details
Flat Rate Envelope
No signature required
No delivery confirmation required
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

HawaiiTromboneGuy wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:27 am Bubble wrapped in a padded plastic envelope is enough protection for international shipping? I just assumed a box would be most durable for the trip internationally, but I might give your suggestion a shot if it’ll cut the cost significantly.
I do that from time to other when I'm out of my nice foam padded boxes. Only had one mouthpiece damaged that way and it has probably been opened by customs.

Luckily shipping from Switzerland is still quite cheap. Even to Australia.
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
HawaiiTromboneGuy

Posaunus wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:54 am
HawaiiTromboneGuy wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:45 am

Perhaps I should have gone to USPS directly, instead of relying on the PayPal shipping label.
I believe it was First Class, not Priority. $200 insurance included. Arrived safely within 10 days.

Shipment details
Flat Rate Envelope
No signature required
No delivery confirmation required
Thanks for the info!
Drew A.
Professional bum.
HawaiiTromboneGuy

SwissTbone wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:03 am
HawaiiTromboneGuy wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:27 am Bubble wrapped in a padded plastic envelope is enough protection for international shipping? I just assumed a box would be most durable for the trip internationally, but I might give your suggestion a shot if it’ll cut the cost significantly.
I do that from time to other when I'm out of my nice foam padded boxes. Only had one mouthpiece damaged that way and it has probably been opened by customs.

I’m thinking of going the padded envelope route and adding some packing peanuts for further protection.
Drew A.
Professional bum.
pompatus

Post by pompatus »

HawaiiTromboneGuy wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:41 am
SwissTbone wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:03 am

I’m thinking of going the padded envelope route and adding some packing peanuts for further protection.
Perhaps, for extra protection and peace of mind, fold a small piece of corrugated cardboard over the shank, and tape it closed to itself. That’s what I’ve done when shipping a mouthpiece in the past, and heard no complaint against damage.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Peanuts don't provide anything, especially in an envelope.

And USPS insurance is less than worthless. Good luck trying to get anything from them.
HawaiiTromboneGuy

Welp, the padded envelope idea is a no-go. I was messing around with trying different weights with the USPS system and for it to drop down in price to $21, the package can weigh no more than 8 oz. I weighed two similar Laskey small shank mouthpieces since the ones I plan on shipping are already boxed up, and they already weigh 11 oz combined.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Drew A.
Professional bum.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

HawaiiTromboneGuy wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:43 pm Welp, the padded envelope idea is a no-go. I was messing around with trying different weights with the USPS system and for it to drop down in price to $21, the package can weigh no more than 8 oz. I weighed two similar Laskey small shank mouthpieces since the ones I plan on shipping are already boxed up, and they already weigh 11 oz combined.
Yes well if shipping multiples forget it. If the buyer wants them then they pay for shipping. End of story.

Return to “Tangents”