Recommendation to use with R9

jimmatsushino

Recommendation to use with R9

Post by jimmatsushino »

Hi everyone,

I’ve been playing bass since college (over 20 years now) and have been consistently using a Schilke 59 pretty much since I moved from tenor. Recently I bought an R9 to replace my Shires and absolutely love it! The problem I’m having is my pitch is flat, I don’t play nearly as much as I used to so moving to a smaller mouthpiece may help but I’m wondering if using a Rath mouthpiece would help too?

I appreciate any thoughts you have on this. Thanks
trombonedemon

Re: Recommendation to use with R9

Post by trombonedemon »

Might be loosening in the embouchure. I switched my mouthpiece and got with a tuner. Turns out the stronger my embouchure the more consistent my intonation with the tuner or in an ensemble. My issue was facilitating more chops in the mouthpiece for lack of chops for the mouthpiece.
Conn 112 H w/bored out rotors w/heavyweight caps, Sterling Silver Edward's B3 and Shires B3 leadpipe w/62H slide. Long Island Brass Comp Dimensions 29.5 inner rim .323 backbore solid silver lefreque
blast

Post by blast »

Raths can be towards a lower pitch. My tuning slide receivers have been cut down to help this. The mouthpiece won't make much difference.
vetsurginc

Post by vetsurginc »

I've been using Schilke 60 as well as a DE setup. Markey 87 also works well for me.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

trombonedemon wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:42 pm Might be loosening in the embouchure. I switched my mouthpiece and got with a tuner. Turns out the stronger my embouchure the more consistent my intonation with the tuner or in an ensemble. My issue was facilitating more chops in the mouthpiece for lack of chops for the mouthpiece.
Well he's not changed mouthpieces yet only instruments. So I wouldn't think a loosening in the embouchure would be his issue.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

jimmatsushino wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:02 pm Hi everyone,

I’ve been playing bass since college (over 20 years now) and have been consistently using a Schilke 59 pretty much since I moved from tenor. Recently I bought an R9 to replace my Shires and absolutely love it! The problem I’m having is my pitch is flat, I don’t play nearly as much as I used to so moving to a smaller mouthpiece may help but I’m wondering if using a Rath mouthpiece would help too?

I appreciate any thoughts you have on this. Thanks
Since you've had the Schilke 59 for about 20 years should I assume it's the older, longer shank version? If so you could start with a modern Schilke 59 which are available with a modern day shank. If not try whatever Rath piece is closest to a Schilke 59. Just know that a Rath rim is completely different from a Schilke.
jimmatsushino

Post by jimmatsushino »

Thanks so much for the thoughts so far. I did purchase my newest Schilke last year so it has the modern shank. I remember buying one of the first Bach 50a3 with the Hagmann valves that played really flat and I had to get rid of it. This one isn’t to that extent but there’s just something about having every slide all the way in and it’s a couple cents flat.
MTbassbone

Post by MTbassbone »

Does Rath make a short tuning slide? Might be worth sending an email with your situation and see what they have to say.
jimmatsushino

Post by jimmatsushino »

MTbassbone wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:03 pm Does Rath make a short tuning slide? Might be worth sending an email with your situation and see what they have to say.
Great idea, I will reach out and find out.

Return to “Mouthpieces”