Think that leather guard is protecting your finish?

brassmedic

Think that leather guard is protecting your finish?

Post by brassmedic »

Think again. :eek:
20240209_134125.jpg
20240209_134145.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
Macbone1

Re: Think that leather guard is protecting your finish?

Post by Macbone1 »

Well you're not supposed to leave them on for 20 years!
King Jiggs 2BL
Olds Opera
Besson Sovereign Bb/F bass
Holton bass trumpet
B&H Imperial shepherd's crook cornet
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I have never understood the fascination with grips covers.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Grip, definitely not. Maybe I have small hands, but I find all of them uncomfortably large.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

The tannins in many leather products can really do a number on certain finishes. :horror: Will almost certainly promote silver tarnish. I avoid leather touching anything except for gold plate (mouthpieces).
bassclef

Post by bassclef »

I've been using the Leather Specialties left hand guards for way more than a decade on all of my horns.

While I do have the body chemistry which eats through horns faster than normal, I primarily use them for increased grip. Without them, I find that a little perspiration causes the horn to start slipping out of my grip during long passages and therefore causing both some embouchure problems as well as increased strain from using extra strength to try to keep the horn from moving in my hand.

My grips come off every year or two when I take the horns in for professional cleaning and I have never seen anything remotely resembling that photo above! Looks like that grip hasn't been removed for more than a decade, maybe closer to two!
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

It depends on the type of lacquer -- and possibly on the way the leather was tanned. I had leather guards on one tuba for about 20 years, and have had a leather guard on my euph for over 10. But those horns had modern epoxy lacquer. I did check under the guards a couple of times, but there was absolutely no sign of a problem. I make my own guards and always used to use leather, but moved about 10 years ago (for my tuba and my trombones) to using that fairly heavy "drawer liner" (or shelf liner) available in a lot of places like Lowes, Home Depot, Amazon, etc. It's the same stuff I use for cleaning/servicing pads for instruments and firearms. Very easy to use, very flexible, and relatively inexpensive, and impervious to just about everything. Also totally waterproof. In terms of fastening it on, I just use super glue. Not to the instrument! -- but to itself. :roll: That avoids having to punch holes and make some kind of stitching. If/when I should need to take it off, I just cut it off. I've made patterns of the pieces, and so I just make new pieces from the patterns and glue them on (again -- NOT to the instrument!). I think it even has a noticeably better feel to it than leather does -- and it's neither rough nor slippery, and doesn't stain.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K9/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
Macbone1

Post by Macbone1 »

Doug Elliott wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:50 pm I have never understood the fascination with grips covers.
I have an Olds Opera (bought used) that is absolutely pitted at all contact points. The metal itself is corroded; otherwise a decent looking horn. I use leather guards to hide the ugliness and to prevent further wear. Think of all the wear that could have been avoided if the original owner had bought some guards.

Also, during military service overseas, saw a fine player in a Russian army band who had a Holton 69. The slide grip/cork barrel brace was corroded all the way through to the hollow inside. His slide handle wasn't much better. The rest of the horn was fine.
King Jiggs 2BL
Olds Opera
Holton bass trumpet
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

Often this is also a function of the degree of acidity of the player's perspiration. I remember that when I started playing saxophone in the 6th grade, my hand sweat was degrading the finish on the old Buescher sax my parents were renting for me. And the same thing happened with the (new) Conn Artiste tenor that we got later. You used to see a bunch of trumpet players using a handkerchief in the left hand to hold the horn -- and this wasn't just to mop their brows. A good friend that I played with in a combo in high school was one of these -- with his Bach Strad trumpet. He also had one of the worst cases of acne that I've ever seen. I never (decades later) had any problems with any of my tubas or trombones -- but by then a lot of makers had moved to the epoxy finishes -- or at least to finishes more resistant to perspiration chemistry.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Amati Oval Euph
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

The guards definitely can protect your collar from bass trombone valve oil. And from a raw brass neck pipe turning the collar green. And your hands from the raw nickel smell from the slide grip on a 3B.

They're supposed to protect your horn from you?? I got that wrong, I guess, lol!
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

harrisonreed wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:56 am They're supposed to protect your horn from you?? I got that wrong, I guess, lol!
I think valved instrument players may be a little more sensitive to that perspective. And on valved instruments it is also more a matter of grip vs. slip (especially on large tubas and 3+1 euphs). At least for me, it can make quite a difference between constantly wrestling with the instrument vs. achieving a comfortable and neutral playing position -- which is not a problem I have on trombone (at least not one that a "guard" can help).
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Amati Oval Euph
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

Macbone1 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:26 am
Doug Elliott wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:50 pm I have never understood the fascination with grips covers.
I have an Olds Opera (bought used) that is absolutely pitted at all contact points. The metal itself is corroded; otherwise a decent looking horn. I use leather guards to hide the ugliness and to prevent further wear. Think of all the wear that could have been avoided if the original owner had bought some guards.
Looking at the pictures I posted, would you say the leather guard prevented corrosion?
Macbone1

Post by Macbone1 »

Looking at the pictures I posted, would you say the leather guard prevented corrosion?
I don't have an explanation for that. I just know that they seem to work okay for me
King Jiggs 2BL
Olds Opera
Holton bass trumpet
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

I mean, we don’t know what the scenario in this horn was before the guard was on? Was it super nasty and that is why the guard was applied? (That said, I would guess it was fine with some lacquer wear before the grip was attached.)

I don’t know, I don’t have these issues with the ones that I’ve been using on about a dozen slides over 30 years… I’d say this is operator error. You can’t give the horn a bath with them and expect that to not do something stupid. And they are mainly there so my hands don’t stink after playing horns that are 40+ years old and mostly raw anyway.

Cheers,
Andy
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

The guards can definitely trap moisture against the brass if the moisture-wicking layer is absent or saturated, and corrode brass. A colleague with extremely acidic sweat (his hands were always dark green after playing sessions before he put guards on) removed his (non-lined) guards once in the middle of rehearsal, and the horn looked like the pictures above.

I have very non-acidic hands, to the point where the friction from manipulating the slide polishes the brass more than I oxidize it – where my fingers brush against the lower slide tube is polished bright, only the areas that are just occasionally touched have heavier patina, and if my horn sits untouched for a while, the next time I play fingers on my slide hand will go black, rather than green or blue. Yet my bass sackbut has some fairly bad oxidation where the leather sling/strap I use wraps around the brace, surely from trapped moisture.
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

So many variables -
  • Body chemistry
  • Leather type
  • Leather tanning procedure / residue
  • Lacquer type and condition
  • Underlying metal composition
  • Usage and hygiene history
:idk:
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

Posaunus wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:46 pm So many variables -
  • Body chemistry
  • Leather type
So you think people are taking all that into consideration when they install a leather guard?
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

brassmedic wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:46 am
  • Body chemistry
  • Leather type
So you think people are taking all that into consideration when they install a leather guard?
Of course not. We (many of us) are just following a trend, or looking for a quick fix. Until something happens! :shuffle:
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

brassmedic wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:46 am
  • Body chemistry
  • Leather type
No… people are idiots. But I also don’t generally blame the wrench when somebody strips a bolt.

The leather guard can protect the finish, but it can also damage it if not used or maintained properly. Just like a wrench can strip a screw head. Note for any leather grip manufacturers…. Let’s use something other than laces? Make it easier to get on and off. I much prefer my neck guards that are Velcro, but that would need to be a bit different on the slide to provide a robust grip.

Cheers,
Andy
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

giphy.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

elmsandr wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:41 am

The leather guard can protect the finish, but it can also damage it if not used or maintained properly. Just like a wrench can strip a screw head.
What is the proper maintenance and usage routine for a leather slide grip, that you feel people aren't following?
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

brassmedic wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:18 pm
elmsandr wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:41 am

The leather guard can protect the finish, but it can also damage it if not used or maintained properly. Just like a wrench can strip a screw head.
What is the proper maintenance and usage routine for a leather slide grip, that you feel people aren't following?
Take it off once every now and then. Don’t let it get wet and nasty. The leather specialties wraps have a layer of plastic in the middle… if you get moisture under there, it isn’t getting out unless you take the grip off.

Cheers,
Andy
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

I have this plastic wire covering stuff I put on the tube that my fingers pull against.
It gives, so it has real cushion. and air gets in the the tube, so there is not rot.

Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
Blabberbucket

Post by Blabberbucket »

Lacquer is not meant to be a permanent protective layer on the metals of your instrument. It is simply meant to preserve the temporary shine of a color buff that is appealing to the "shiny monkey brain" part of your mind. Metal will corrode through contact with sweat and acid. Lacquer will do very little to slow that.

Leather guards trap moisture between the leather and the lacquer/metal and accelerate the wear.
David Paul - Brass Repair/Manufacture

Return to “Maintenance”