REVIEW: Gewa SPS Gig Bag tenor/bass

karexobasstrombone

REVIEW: Gewa SPS Gig Bag tenor/bass

Post by karexobasstrombone »

Hi everyone!

I just got a Gewa Gig Bag for tenor and bass and, since there’s not too much info or pictures online, I’ve decided to make this post before I send it back.

I’ve been using a MB double case for a couple of years now (mainly as storage). I recently saw myself traveling a lot with it, so I thought the Gewa was the way to go since it looked lighter. It was advertised as 898 grams on Amazon.de, so even though I was a bit suspicious, I decided to go on and give it a try. Sadly, it weighed about 5.5kg (empty) and there’s really not much weight difference between my MB (about 16,5kg) and the Gewa (about 15,5kg) when I put both my instruments and other accessories inside, so not worth the investment if it’s not lighter…

It’s also a lot bulkier than my MB and the back straps are not too big (or I maybe I should tone it down at the gym haha). It also wiggles a lot in my back, so I felt quite clumsy walking around.

The only pros were that the back straps can be hidden inside the back pocket and that accessing each instrument without having to move everything else around is much easier.

The cordura cover, zippers, pockets and interior design are quite good seems to be good quality, specially considering the reduced price.

I would only recommend buying one if you don’t have already a MB or a Cronkhite (which I also had and didn’t particularly enjoy).

I wish there were more makers offering lighter double gig bags, but these seems to be the only options…
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DougHulme

Re: REVIEW: Gewa SPS Gig Bag tenor/bass

Post by DougHulme »

It is surely MUCH cheaper though?
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

I commented also on Facebook.

I have bought one of these for <300 Euro around 2 years ago.
In my opinion it's very good value for money. It's from my knowledge the only option in that price range, solid build quality and okay protection.

Yes, it is large and not very light. I think officially it's sold for 2 bass trombones. I added additional padding whenever I used it (for bass+tenor). Due to size and weight I would not want to use it for longer walks or public transport.

I have two Cronkhite doubles (medium which I will use for bass+tenor and small which I will use for large+small tenor or tenor+alto) to replace this and an older Bags of Spain case. The Cronkhite costs at least twice as much as the GEWA and I think the MB is even more expensive.

So overall I do agree with your opinion, but regarding value for money the GEWA is still a good option.
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 2x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, 88HT, Greenhoe 88HT, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h/62h, Greenhoe TIS, Conn 60h/"62h"
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

I have one of these bags. I like it.
It is wide and big. So it holds about anything.
But too wide to carry though a door way.
So I got a golf cart for $20 from play it again sports. A couple bungee cords and I go easy.
It is the big dog of cases.

I have gig bags and cases for one horn that are easy.

I also have a Bags of Spain alto tenor case. Much more carry-able. But not for two any size horns.

When you need a big dog, this is it.
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile

Return to “Accessories”