Facial hair

Spin your yarns here.
sirisobhakya

Facial hair

Post by sirisobhakya »

Has facial hair (moustache to be more precise) ever get in the way of your playing?

I have to shave clean or nearly clean (at most shaved a day before) in order to play normally. For me playing with a moustache longer than that feels weird: I feel like the smoothness of the mouthpiece changes.

But many trombonist seems to be not bothered by it. What is your thought?
Chaichan Wiriyaswat
Bangkok, Thailand
“Why did I buy so many horns when I only have one mouth…?”
Posaunus

Re: Facial hair

Post by Posaunus »

I played with a moustache and full beard for years without any noticeable effect.
atopper333

Post by atopper333 »

Yeah, due to work, I’ve kept clean shaven…as a result, playing with a mustache just feels, off. I’m in the same boat, two plus days of growth and the mouthpiece doesn’t feel the same in terms of seal? If the makes sense…
sirisobhakya

Post by sirisobhakya »

Posaunus wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:23 pm I played with a moustache and full beard for years without any noticeable effect.
If so, have you ever played clean-shaven? I think probably the same feeling but opposite.

atopper333 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:48 pm Yeah, due to work, I’ve kept clean shaven…as a result, playing with a mustache just feels, off. I’m in the same boat, two plus days of growth and the mouthpiece doesn’t feel the same in terms of seal? If the makes sense…
I also feel that. Sealing is not the same.
Chaichan Wiriyaswat
Bangkok, Thailand
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

sirisobhakya wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:38 pm
Posaunus wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:23 pm I played with a moustache and full beard for years without any noticeable effect.
If so, have you ever played clean-shaven? I think probably the same feeling but opposite.
Yes,
I've now been clean-shaven for years. Not sure there's a big difference, but I undertook no systematic evaluation. Perhaps I should pay more attention to such things, but I tend to just pick up a trombone, insert a mouthpiece, and play!
Doubler

Post by Doubler »

I find that my moustache interferes with my trumpet playing, but not with playing the trombone, so I shave the area to allow the trumpet mouthpiece to touch my upper lip. When the trumpet is not on my face, hair from the surrounding area covers the shaved spot, so it doesn't look too wierd. Since the trombone mouthpiece is (obviously) considerably larger, it rests on my moustache and seals just fine.
Current instruments:
Olds Studio trombone, 3 trumpets, 1 flugelhorn, 1 cornet, 1 shofar, 1 keyboard

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

The better my chops get, the less it interferes. However... I still play better clean shaven.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I have about as much facial hair as Aidan's cat
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Pezza

Post by Pezza »

Never had a problem playing with facial hair. And I've played every part in a brass band!
Am I a trombone player who plays euphonium, or a euphonium player who plays trombone? :idk:
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

What really causes me trouble is playing with a day or two of beard. Once it's grown out enough to "lay down", it's not a problem, but when it's bristly? That's no fun.
WilliamLang

Post by WilliamLang »

facial hair has never bothered me
William Lang
Interim Instructor, the University of Oklahoma
Stephens Horns Artist
Long Island Brass Artist
faculty, the Longy School of Music
founding member of loadbang
www.williamlang.org
sirisobhakya

Post by sirisobhakya »

Doug Elliott wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:21 pm I have about as much facial hair as Aidan's cat
Burgerbob wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:31 pm Image
So… that means no facial hair?
Chaichan Wiriyaswat
Bangkok, Thailand
EriKon

Post by EriKon »

I had a strong moustache in my early 20's. It felt okay back then. What was really tough was the change back. When I had it shaved off completely and played again it felt like I've never played trombone for a day or two because the feeling was so different. It doesn't bother me to not shave for 2-3 days but after that it's getting uncomfortable. I guess it's really just a matter of what you're used to.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

I had a beard back in college and it did not impact my playing. When I figured out that I was one of the many college deadbeats who really could not grow a decent thick beard and look presentable, I shaved it and never looked back.

I shave daily now and prefer a 60-90 minute grace period between shaving and playing. I can play immediately after shaving, but the mouthpiece sticks to my face.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I used to have that sticky feeling and I'd shave several hours before I had to play. It went away and now it doesn't make any difference. But I only need to shave about every 3 days.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
BrassSection

Post by BrassSection »

With or without a mustache is no difference for me on any of my horns, had one for about 20 years. Hair under lower lip is a different story, found it very difficult to play anything. If I grow a beard, I gotta keep the area under my lower lip shaved to play. Never left it on long enough to see if I could adjust to it.
nateaff

Post by nateaff »

Every time I shave my mustache it takes a couple days to get used to the mouthpiece sticking to my face more, but theres no adverse effects one way or another
officermayo

Post by officermayo »

I find most folks object to my playing with their facial hair.
"When in doubt, blow out" - MGySgt M.A. Mayo, Marine Band

The contest entry form said "Void where prohibited", so I peed on the Captain's desk.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

officermayo wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:13 am I find most folks object to my playing with their facial hair.
You just haven't found the right folks :lol:
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I think it depends on how much the mouthpiece run touches the area where your facial hair is growing. If you play bass it might bother you more than if you play a small horn (good job, Riker).

I do okay with a little stubble, but I did notice that playing regularly with bristley stubble touching the rim will chew that rim up over time. Better to just shave every day. Oh wait, I'm in the Army! Shaving now, drill sergeant!
officermayo

Post by officermayo »

I discovered Jimmy Pankow and his 'stache when I was 13 and knew I had to emulate him. 20 years later I was finally able to grow one myself.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"When in doubt, blow out" - MGySgt M.A. Mayo, Marine Band

The contest entry form said "Void where prohibited", so I peed on the Captain's desk.
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

In my late teens and early 20’s when my hair was thin, I had no problems playing on a mustache. I even had a soul patch on the bottom lip. When my hair started thickening, I started shaving the “play patch” on my upper and lower lips. I find I play better after I’ve shaved. An hour or so of recovery helps but isn’t necessary.

OTOH, earlier this year I was out of town for a week. I had my tenor, but I forgot my razor and kept forgetting to buy one. A friend had an electric hair trimmer, so I used that and some conditioner. It left some stubble, but it worked well enough. And I discovered that I can tolerate playing with stubble.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)

Return to “Tangents”