Embouchure feels wrong

How and what to teach and learn.
Nolankberk

Embouchure feels wrong

Post by Nolankberk »

Hey tc

I've been doing quite a lot of heavy playing and practicing for the past two weeks and the past couple of days I flub entrances, high range is losing control, one side of the mouth feels a bit off- stiff and droopy. I know I should take a break, but in the next few weeks I have quite a few playing commitments. How do you guys recommend I get around those easily without making it too much worse?
Rusty

Re: Embouchure feels wrong

Post by Rusty »

You need to try and re-balance your embouchure, I would focus on the opposite of what you’ve been doing when you can, so lots of very soft, low and mid-range playing. I like doing whisper tones and exercises in and out of the the fake and pedal range with a focus on resonance and minimal tension. A device like the Warburton PETE could also help refocus your chops.

It can be hard when you can really take any time off!
Redthunder

Post by Redthunder »

Nolankberk wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:08 pm Hey tc

I've been doing quite a lot of heavy playing and practicing for the past two weeks and the past couple of days I flub entrances, high range is losing control, one side of the mouth feels a bit off- stiff and droopy. I know I should take a break, but in the next few weeks I have quite a few playing commitments. How do you guys recommend I get around those easily without making it too much worse?
Contact Doug Elliott or Dave Wilken here on TC and get a lesson with either, or both of them.
Wilktone

Post by Wilktone »

Yeah, no real way to give you targeted advice without watching you play. Simply overplaying can lead to injury or playing issues, but often times it's not the demanding playing schedule itself, but the way you're playing that is the real culprit. I like to think of this as lifting with your back - you can get away with it once in a while until you can't. Overplaying can be the trigger to making a playing issue apparent, but not the actual cause.

A video lesson with Doug (or maybe myself, but I take lessons from Doug too) is my suggestion.

Dave
--
David Wilken
https://wilktone.com
Nolankberk

Post by Nolankberk »

messaged doug, hopefully this will be the fix because not being able to play is very depressing
aasavickas

Post by aasavickas »

Doug or Wilktone can help you out in a quick lesson. The benefit of having a lesson with one of these gentlemen, is that they can help diagnose the issue and tell you what to do to fix it. Every person's face is different and if you inadvertently are doing something with your pivot that is not good for your face, your playing will suffer.

Agree with Rusty above. The easy and quiet playing will help with the swelling if your physical lips are messed up. I like doing quiet pedal notes with a bunch of wobbly lip vibrato. Sounds dumb but feels good on the lips.

If you changed something that doesn't work, try something with a bunch of air starts with good time. Good time is the key to these deals. The excellent warm up video below by Marshal Gilkes gives you an idea. Maybe instead of playing this one loud, play it soft.

Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

Yes, a lesson with Dave Wilken or Doug Elliott seems in order.

Playing too much, too “hard” (mouthpiece pressure, blowing tense vs. blowing easy, etc.), or too long can cause chop stiffness. If you haven’t already done so, a little ice and some ibuprofen can help. If your chops are REALLY stiff and puffy, a little bit of arnica cream can help reduce swelling. Also, make sure you are hydrated. Water is good for most living things.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I messaged Nolankberk a couple of days ago, but no reply. This Friday through Monday work, then I'll be away again for a few days for gigs.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Nolankberk

Post by Nolankberk »

Doug Elliott wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:43 pm I messaged Nolankberk a couple of days ago, but no reply. This Friday through Monday work, then I'll be away again for a few days for gigs.
Hello, sorry. Sent you a very late message back.
markcornellreed

Post by markcornellreed »

Rusty wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:06 am You need to try and re-balance your embouchure, I would focus on the opposite of what you’ve been doing when you can, so lots of very soft, low and mid-range playing. I like doing whisper tones and exercises in and out of the the fake and pedal range with a focus on resonance and minimal tension. A device like the Warburton PETE could also help refocus your chops.

It can be hard when you can really take any time off!
Hi. I've been considering getting a P.E.T.E. My only concern is that like so many other gizmos that have come and gone I wonder if they're a bit gimmicky. Your views and advice would be most welcome. Thanks.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”