Dorsey, Sinatra

Discuss the people that make the music here.
Macbone1

Dorsey, Sinatra

Post by Macbone1 »

Been reading the book "Livin' in a Great Big Way", the Tommy Dorsey biography by Peter Levinson. So fatherly, bespectacled Tommy with his receding hairline and huge pants was only 2 yrs older than boyish Frank Sinatra, his boy singer. They practically looked like father and son in photos. To cement the image, Tommy of course died many years before Frank.

Such a different time; trombonist Tommy made huge money by any standard. Plenty famous too. Soon, Glenn Miller would make the first million-selling record. And nowadays probably half of Americans don't even know what a trombone is, or would have to take a guess.
King Jiggs 2BL
Olds Opera
Besson Sovereign Bb/F bass
Holton bass trumpet
B&H Imperial shepherd's crook cornet
EriKon

Re: Dorsey, Sinatra

Post by EriKon »

I don't know this book, should get it for myself!
I really love some of those recordings. When listening to this, I always feel like I've time traveled to the time where this was broadcasted on the radio stations, sitting in front of an old radio.

BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Dorsey was 10 years older than Sinatra. Dorsey born in 1905, Sinatra born in 1915.

Sinatra used to try to emulate Dorsey's use of air to make very long phrases with great interpretation. I think it made a big difference in his style.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Macbone1

Post by Macbone1 »

I have this album, practically have it memorized! Can play many of the solos too.
King Jiggs 2BL
Olds Opera
Holton bass trumpet
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

So good.
Macbone1

Post by Macbone1 »

BGuttman wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:03 pm
Sinatra used to try to emulate Dorsey's use of air to make very long phrases with great interpretation. I think it made a big difference in his style.
True...and Tommy's tiny mouthpiece also helped him economize the air. Tommy called Frank a "soft singer" and predicted he would flop when he proposed taking off on his own. But as we certainly know, Frank had a wonderful resonance to his voice, all his life. Even more so once he got his nutritional act together and put on a few pounds!
King Jiggs 2BL
Olds Opera
Holton bass trumpet
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

This is the sound of a world that doesn't know what is about to hit it.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

harrisonreed wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:18 am This is the sound of a world that doesn't know what is about to hit it.
More the sound of an America that's still hoping that it can stay out of what was already hitting elsewhere in the world - and the sound that helped America get through the nightmare when that hope was dashed.
officermayo

Post by officermayo »

"When in doubt, blow out" - MGySgt M.A. Mayo, Marine Band

The contest entry form said "Void where prohibited", so I peed on the Captain's desk.
Macbone1

Post by Macbone1 »

Love it! Very clever, good impression too. I just recommend a visit to a barber...😄
King Jiggs 2BL
Olds Opera
Holton bass trumpet

Return to “Musicians”