Finding Harmony After the Beans: A Trombonist's Journey Through Divorce

Spin your yarns here.
harrisonreed

Re: Finding Harmony After the Beans: A Trombonist's Journey Through Divorce

Post by harrisonreed »

DougHulme wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:33 pm I think you must be right Doug. Surely the OP is either English as a second language or no English, or maybe poor English and he uses AI to write what he wants to say and copies and pastes it himself into each post? I think ghmerrill has put me on to the answer for the OP - he can remarry - but to Eliza! Surely AI couldnt cook Wet Beans? Please dont tell me theres a robot that..... :horror: Doug
If you look at the link I posted above, not the video but further up, they at least were able to search the Internet and use the first link that comes up when you search "Jack" in order to cut and paste an answer in. It's pretty much verbatim.

Of course a person could do that but it seems very odd to do that. It's more like a test of a basic AI that can also use Google search to enhance it's answers.
Last edited by harrisonreed on Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

DougHulme wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:33 pm Surely AI couldnt cook Wet Beans? Please dont tell me theres a robot that..... :horror: Doug
Not sure about that. I'm not in the game any longer, and the game has significantly broadened and deepened. But a robot bean cook is probably pretty far down the research priority (and funding!) list -- unless the Navy is looking in that direction for their ships at sea. A few years ago they committed very strongly to AI (even more than they had since the 90s).
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K9/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

Harrison - its bed time in the UK, how can I sleep now after your clip!... I shall have to go practice some more and consult Eliza. Yes I noticed the verbatim 'clip' but is that the OP doing the research or the AI? Perhaps I should just go to bed after all - the abacus was never this much trouble.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

"Blessings of the State, Blessings of the Masses"

-OMM
alonetrombone

Post by alonetrombone »

Oh, bother.

I really seem to have caused a calamity here at T.C.

Thank you to all for your concerns, but I am not sure i am ready to enter the dating game agan. My heart and my kitchen were so broken by Deb. I can't get the smell of Wet Beans (or her other favourite meal, Soup Junior) out of my pots, pans and tuppered wares.

To answer some questions:

- yes, I copied and pasted the information about how John became Jack. It's right there on google and it's faster than typing it out myself. Whoops! Surely though you will take my point about how an AI would not forget its own name. Pure human error u kno. my apologies to you Harrison. you appear to be the alpha male of the forum and i would like to fall in line behind you as a constituent and supporter.

- I have never heard of Eliza before although I am intruigied to hear of her. Is she popular here on the forums? What instruments, mouthpieces and blowholes are in her locker?

- Regardless,
- to Ghmerrill: i am sorry to hear that your own wife has fallen victim to the sloppy sadness of Wet Beans as her one daily meal. at what point did her obsession start? what does your tupperware smell like? and is the secret ingredient and methodology listed in my recipe the same as hers?

i fear that you may also be hurtling at top speed, 30mph, toward comfortless the cul-de-sac of divorce

All my best and sorry for worrying so many of you,
Jack (John)
Last edited by alonetrombone on Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

alonetrombone wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:14 pm - to Ghmerrill: ...
DEFINITELY not an AI. :lol:
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Amati Oval Euph
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

ghmerrill wrote DEFINITELY not an AI. :lol:
Well thats a relief... and I managed a good nights sleep - must have been the blessings of the State and the masses :biggrin: Things are looking up!.. Doug PS to alonetrombone you need to follow ghmerrill's link in an earlier post in response to my question about AI's ability if you want to know about Eliza.
Aspenforest

Post by Aspenforest »

alonetrombone wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:14 pm I can't get the smell of Wet Beans (or her other favourite meal, Soup Junior) out of my pots, pans and tuppered wares.
Jack (John)
what exactly is Soup Junior? This has begun to trouble me for some time, would this imply the potential of a soup senior?
Victoria
She/They
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

Est-il possible? Soupe du jour? :lol: :lol:
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Amati Oval Euph
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Or possibly soup de jure. :idk:
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

Good one.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Amati Oval Euph
tjonz

Post by tjonz »

Has it occurred to anyone besides me that some clever college student is doing research on societal reactions to generative AI by trolling us and cataloging our reactions?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

tjonz wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:49 am Has it occurred to anyone besides me that some clever college student is doing research on societal reactions to generative AI by trolling us and cataloging our reactions?
Entirely possible. Note that nobody seems to be taking this seriously.

Wet beans? Soup Junior? :???:
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Wilktone

Post by Wilktone »

alonetrombone wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:48 pm What would you even have to type into an AI to get it to generate this article? "Please write a post for Trombone Chat from the perspective of a divorced man named John, whose ex wife is named Deb. They divorced after Deb created an elaborate and makeshift laboratory in their shared kitchen to make an exorbitant amount of her favourite food "Wet Beans" which she grew more and more obsessed with until it ruined their lives ---- ???????
Fun. I tried this prompt with ChatGPT. Here's what it came up with with that prompt.
Subject: The Wet Beans Incident: A Symphony of Chaos

Hey Trombone Chat,

I'm John, and I've been lurking here for a while, soaking in the trombone love and advice. Today, I've decided to share a story that's a bit off the usual topic but has been a significant part of my life's recent tumultuous symphony. It's about how my marriage came to an end, not due to the usual suspects like infidelity or financial issues, but because of an obsession with a peculiar culinary experiment: Wet Beans.

Deb, my ex-wife, has always had an adventurous spirit, especially when it came to food. Her culinary experiments were part of our life's charm, or so I thought. However, things took a bizarre turn when she became fixated on perfecting the ultimate recipe for her favorite dish, Wet Beans. It started innocently enough, with a few extra pots and pans, but it quickly escalated.

Our shared kitchen, once a place of communal joy and delicious aromas, transformed into what could only be described as a makeshift laboratory. Think Breaking Bad, but for legumes. Every surface was cluttered with jars, slow cookers, pressure cookers, and an array of scientific equipment I couldn't begin to name. Deb's quest for the perfect Wet Beans recipe became all-consuming.

Initially, I tried to be supportive, even when it meant my breakfast cereal tasted faintly of pinto beans. But as her obsession grew, so did the chaos. Our conversations dwindled to bean-related topics. Our social life evaporated because our friends couldn't stand the constant talk about beans or the fact that every dinner invitation was a thinly veiled experiment.

The breaking point came when I woke up to find our bathtub commandeered for an oversized bean-soaking operation. That's when I realized the woman I married, the woman who used to laugh at my off-key trombone practice and dance with me in our bean-free kitchen, was gone, replaced by a bean zealot.

Our divorce wasn't just about the beans, but they were emblematic of how far we'd drifted from each other's needs and realities. The Wet Beans Incident, as I've come to call it, was a symphony of chaos that ultimately led to our life together ending in a cacophony of legal documents and divided kitchen appliances.

I've learned a lot from this experience. Most importantly, I've realized the significance of maintaining balance and ensuring that personal obsessions never overshadow the harmony of shared life goals and spaces. As I rebuild my life, sans beans, I've found solace in my trombone, pouring my emotions into music rather than legumes.

Thanks for letting me share my tale. Sometimes, life throws you wet beans when you're expecting a smooth jazz solo. It's all about how you play the notes you're given.

Warmest regards,
John
Maybe John/Jack actually did write his story himself. I think ChatGPT did a better job.
--
David Wilken
https://wilktone.com
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

The English grammar and style of that is much better -- I'm tempted to say "more human". :lol:
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Amati Oval Euph
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

ghmerrill wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:35 am The English grammar and style of that is much better -- I'm tempted to say "more human". :lol:
Perhaps a "human bean?" :idk:
tbdana

Post by tbdana »

Posaunus wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:51 am

Perhaps a "human bean?" :idk:
This may be the best thread ever. :D
alonetrombone

Post by alonetrombone »

Aspenforest wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:35 pm
alonetrombone wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:14 pm I can't get the smell of Wet Beans (or her other favourite meal, Soup Junior) out of my pots, pans and tuppered wares.
Jack (John)
what exactly is Soup Junior? This has begun to trouble me for some time, would this imply the potential of a soup senior?
Before Deb, my lousy ex wife, turned my kitchen into a mausoleum of Wet Beans, she would cook for me the most exquisite Soup Junior at least once a week. That was before all of the drama started with the Wet Beans.

You can try to get it take out, but at least around my neck of the woods, you can't get a good one anywhere.
alonetrombone

Post by alonetrombone »

Aspenforest wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:35 pm
Jack (John)
Before Deb, my lousy ex wife, turned my kitchen into a mausoleum of Wet Beans, she would cook for me the most exquisite Soup Junior at least once a week. That was before all of the drama started with the Wet Beans.

You can try to get it take out, but at least around my neck of the woods, you can't get a good one anywhere.
alonetrombone

Post by alonetrombone »

BGuttman wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:56 am Wet beans? Soup Junior? :???:
To compare Wet Beans to Soup Junior would be like trying to compare Miff Mole to Slide Hampton. You just wouldn't do it.
BrassSection

Post by BrassSection »

First, I’m obviously old school…(I am familiar with the chain drive Mack trucks that my pap used to drive.) AI…my first thought is artificial insemination animal breeding, which doesn’t seem to have the same success rate as the good old fashioned bull meets cow. Sorta like PTO is for power take off on a truck or tractor, not the redone PTA name. I digress in my rant. Anyhow, my thoughts on artificial intelligence: Sort of seems like an oxymoron to me. How can something artificial be intelligent? My paid production environment days ended when programmable logic control was in use. It had its place, but it wasn’t the be all end all solution. I know advancements have been made, but how much”advancement” is just pipe dreams and hype. This saying seems to comes to mind… The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. I’m taking a wait and see approach.

Oh yeah, how does this help a brass player improve his skills??
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

BrassSection wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:30 pm This saying seems to comes to mind… The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Whoever said that was a genius who'd exceeded his limit. :lol:
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Amati Oval Euph
Aspenforest

Post by Aspenforest »

Comrades, let it be known I have ventured into the bean realm and it has changed me. I am now indeed a thorough Wet Bean enjoyer. I've decided to also try Beef Noodle later this week! Hope all are well.
PXL_20240309_213309323.jpg
PXL_20240309_212517903.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Victoria
She/They
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

I think you're a little too wet on the beans. There's a fine line between wet beans and bean soup. I believe you've crossed it. :shock:
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Amati Oval Euph
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

ghmerrill wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:30 pm I think you're a little too wet on the beans. There's a fine line between wet beans and bean soup. I believe you've crossed it. :shock:
Gary's right. I know. I've bean there!
bitbckt

Post by bitbckt »

Post a trigger warning before re-traumatizing the poor bean brother!
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I believe the social acceptable term is "Bean Human"
bitbckt

Post by bitbckt »

harrisonreed wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:30 am I believe the social acceptable term is "Bean Human"
My sincerest apologies. I did not intend to be exclusionary in my legume lingo.
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

To be fully inclusive, "bean entity" might be safest. Or possibly "beanite" -- but with the possible consequence of conflating that with "bean night". I'm pretty sure that at this point we could get funding for a study to resolve these linguistic issues -- or at least to propose a number of alternatives.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Amati Oval Euph
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

ghmerrill wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:04 am ... or at least to propose a number of alternatives.
Does this require the services of bean counters?
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

Yes. Most likely at the federal level.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Amati Oval Euph
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

We could be back to my abacus again!
alonetrombone

Post by alonetrombone »

Aspenforest wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:51 pm Comrades, let it be known I have ventured into the bean realm and it has changed me. I am now indeed a thorough Wet Bean enjoyer. I've decided to also try Beef Noodle later this week! Hope all are well.

PXL_20240309_213309323.jpgPXL_20240309_212517903.jpg
AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Beef Noodle .... ?

Is it this?

Mmmmmm

I'm reminded of the Army recipe for "Yakisoba" (emphasis on the air quotes). There is nothing like it on this earth.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

SOS - S**t on Straw ;)
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

If a different kind of bean is what you seek, may I suggest pinquitos?

It's a small, pink bean that's grown in the Santa Maria Valley and is a traditional component of a Santa Maria Style barbecue.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

I think I might prefer wet beans! :horror:

Return to “Tangents”