Trombone Tuxedo Troubles

Spin your yarns here.
HornboneandVocals

Trombone Tuxedo Troubles

Post by HornboneandVocals »

Not sure if this is the correct thread to post this, however I wanted to share my experience and see if any others have had this issue.

Summary: Shoulders in tux jackets are way too tight and I have yet to find a solution. Fellow big guys out there, how did you fix this?

In high school, our concert dress code was black white shirt. This changed after Covid but we were required to have a white shirt and black dress pants and all of my college ensemble and gigs to date dress was always black shirt, black and black shoes. More recently I’ve been asked to play with a local local orchestra, first as the sub and now regularly. Their dress code is black tuxedos.

Now, one could compare my stature to that of a mountain troll or an orc. When I subbed with them, I was able to find a tuxedo that could do for the concert,, but six and seven position were completely out of the question and fifth was a stretch. Every tuxedo shop I’ve been to has only been able to fit me with a tux that works with my arms down. The second I left them up as if I’m going to play trombone the shoulders getting incredibly tight. I just rented a black formal blazer, as a way to cheat out of wearing a real tuxedo, but the shoulders are still uncomfortable in sixth and seventh isn’t possible.

Anyone have any experience with this or know how to get around this?
Couch surfing my way through community college and spreading mild amount of chaos at the same time
Posaunus

Re: Trombone Tuxedo Troubles

Post by Posaunus »

Seems that you need to visit a tailor.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Tailors know exactly how to fix that, but it's going to cost you..
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

I buy oversize jackets (and shirts for that matter) to play in. But maybe you're a big enough guy that it's hard to find one big enough.
mgladdish

Post by mgladdish »

Tailor is the answer. I've been lucky enough to go to China a couple of times and made sure I get a couple of suits and a DJ made to measure each time. I've heard Vietnam is also great for that.

Failing that, maybe find a high street alterations place and ask them for their advice? They may be able to take in a much larger jacket that can handle your arm movement without it looking like a lumpy sack for a reasonable price.
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

A tailor can only do so much. Tuxedos can be made in any size. There should be someone offering big tall sizes around LA or San Diego. You shouldn’t be trying to re-size an existing suit more than two sizes up or down from your measured size. If you really are bigger than anything around, tailors or some alteration shops can make a tuxedo from scratch from a pattern. It is not going to be cheap. Sometimes a tailor or alterations shop will have one that was not picked up. My black coat is one size bigger than my coat size. I only had the sleeves shortened. I got it from an alterations shop. It wasn’t picked up by someone. It is easy to play in. It helps if you tell them to keep it one size too big. That is a common request for performers and law
enforcement.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
VJOFan

Post by VJOFan »

Back in the day, I could buy a jacket from old rental stock to save a few bucks versus new. I'd get one to fit my shoulders and accommodate my slide arm movements and have the rest taken in a little.

Something to remember is that a "trombone" tux is usually seen from dozens or hundreds of yards away. A good fit is not terribly important as long as the length of sleeves and body are reasonable.
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

I would look at liquidators of rental stock on eBay. I've bought several items of formalwear for extremely cheap (like, $1200+ MSRP designer tuxedo's for $50 that were probably worn just a few times and were basically like new) on an eBay store called Monkeysuits, and they have stuff in every size imaginable.
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Tuxedo rental houses have sales at the end of the formal season (fall?) where they get rid of current stock to be able to buy next year's designs. Often these are sold as components, and you can buy a jacket of one size and pants of another. This was great for me since I usually need a larger pants size than is offered with "built" systems. I bought a nice setup that included a jacket, pants, vest, one formal shirt, tie, link and stud set, and a cummerbund (note that you don't use the vest and the cummerbund at the same time). The jacket was sized so that I had good arm movement. I think the whole getup was around US$150.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
2bobone

Post by 2bobone »

A violinist in the NSO went to a tux shop to get fitted for a new tux jacket. The salesman eyed him up and put his estimate of a good fitting jacket on his new customer. The violinist put his arms into "playing position" and complained that there wasn't enough room for him to do his job properly. The salesman said, "What difference does it make ? People are going to come in, order their food, eat and leave without even looking at you" ! True story ! :horror:
StephenK

Post by StephenK »

I saw a lovely white tux jacket in a local charity shop last week. I'd have bought it except it was at least two sizes too big.
On the other hand, there are some charity shops here that regularly sell good quality dinner suits and jackets. No doubt from those no longer in need of them. This is in the UK.

Return to “Tangents”