Aiden Ritchie at Disneyland

Discuss the people that make the music here.
Eyedoc

Aiden Ritchie at Disneyland

Post by Eyedoc »

Anyone know which groups Aiden plays in at Disneyland? Will be at the park with the kids and grandkids this week.
Finetales

Re: Aiden Ritchie at Disneyland

Post by Finetales »

Aidan and I both play in the Disneyland Band. I'll be in the park on Tuesday!
tbdana

Post by tbdana »

That used to be a good gig, back in the day. I think Bill and Gary Tole used to play in it. So, I think, did Alex Isles and Andy Martin, for a time. I hear Disney changed it all several years ago, and folks became unhappy. Hope it's still a good gig.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I'm in Saturday and Sunday this coming week! If you see anything at all, come to the 2pm Castle set.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

I still remember the "Castle set" done by a brass quintet circa 1985/86 when we took our young kids there. Actually, it's about the only thing I remember from that trip (except maybe the jungle boat ride, which is vague), and it was great. Probably the current players weren't doing that one. :lol: I think that's one thing that inspired me to just start playing tuba. :roll:
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K9/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

It’s a Small, Small World. :-)
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

tbdana wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:14 am That used to be a good gig, back in the day. I think Bill and Gary Tole used to play in it. So, I think, did Alex Isles and Andy Martin, for a time. I hear Disney changed it all several years ago, and folks became unhappy. Hope it's still a good gig.
In my opinion, it's one of the best gigs in the area.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Finetales wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:48 pm
tbdana wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:14 am That used to be a good gig, back in the day. I think Bill and Gary Tole used to play in it. So, I think, did Alex Isles and Andy Martin, for a time. I hear Disney changed it all several years ago, and folks became unhappy. Hope it's still a good gig.
In my opinion, it's one of the best gigs in the area.

Hmmmm.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

You get to play and get paid in a union gig... Hard to complain on any real level.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Last edited by harrisonreed on Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I’m sorry you took this the wrong way Harrison.

I recall Jennifer Wharton’s My Summer With The Mouse. And I knew Aidan and now Finetales play there as did others incl Alec Iles over the years. Good for them. It’s obviously an excellent organization and a decent gig.

Me? No gig. Went to law school.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

It's gone. I gotcha. 🕊️ ✌️. I'm sorry I read it wrong

It's more difficult than ever to make a living with a trombone.
tbdana

Post by tbdana »

Ah. I found what I was thinking of. This is a message from the AFM Local 7 almost 10 years ago:
The Disneyland Resort issued an “end of run” notice to the Disneyland Band on March 31, 2015 at a meeting around 4:30 pm; it read:

“The Disneyland Band current creative offering and configuration is approaching the end of its run.

“The last day of performance will be July 16th, 2015. As required by our Collective Bargaining Agreement, this memorandum shall serve as notice to each member of the cast.

“On behalf of the Disneyland Resort we thank you for your many fine performances, your continued support and professionalism.”

At that meeting, musicians were told that band will be re-auditioned with the same instrumentation plus two musicians. There is to be new music and the job will be more “acting intensive.” Veteran band members will continue full-time employment in smaller bands; formerly “break-out” groups from the larger ensemble for an indeterminate period of time, or they will be given the option to audition for this new iteration of their old job. This of course raises many questions, the answers to which are evolving.

The current Band’s last performance will be the day before Disneyland’s 60th anniversary; the Band will have been in continuous service for all of those years; it is, as the Disney Parks Blog points out, “iconic.” Musicians have been performing in it for 10, 20, up to 42 years. It is a first rate, finely honed, professional ensemble; its members have been providing exemplary service both the Park and the community for decades. Happy anniversary to all.
And then they cut the "break-out groups." People were pretty up in arms over that, at the time.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Many of the break-out groups are still around, a couple have aged out and disappeared since then.
Eyedoc

Post by Eyedoc »

At the park Tues through Saturday. Will have to see what music offerings are available. In the 1970’s, used to go with band friends to listen to the groups and talk with the piano player at Coke’s corner. The father of one of the group worked there so we would get free admission.
Thank you for all the answers.

Return to “Musicians”