Worth the repair?

mcphatty00

Worth the repair?

Post by mcphatty00 »

Don't ask how it happened. Just asking what it would take. If it can be done. Is it worth it?

It's an early 2000's Shires.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Burgerbob

Re: Worth the repair?

Post by Burgerbob »

I'd say a new valve would be in order... Lots of work and time in any case.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

Yes, it can be repaired, but, you will need a tech that really knows how to work with axial valves. I would suggest a new casing and rotor. Less time, for a better result.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Is there any damage to the core? Also, do I see some cracks on the casing, or is that just a reflection?

If it's just the "knuckle" I could see it being repaired, but I think that may be a brazed joint? What does it look like on the inside? Really a lot of variables at play that would be hard to know about until it's measured and test fit.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
mcphatty00

Post by mcphatty00 »

I think it is just the knuckle. The valve works just like it always has.
tbonesullivan wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:01 pm Is there any damage to the core? Also, do I see some cracks on the casing, or is that just a reflection?

If it's just the "knuckle" I could see it being repaired, but I think that may be a brazed joint? What does it look like on the inside? Really a lot of variables at play that would be hard to know about until it's measured and test fit.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

mcphatty00 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:18 pm I think it is just the knuckle. The valve works just like it always has.
If it still working fine, that is usually a good sign. What you need to find is a tech who is really good with axials, in case something goes sideways when trying to repair the knuckle.
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

Note that there is more to this than just the knuckle. The entire F loop has been pushed out of position. There will be bent/buckled tubes in other places..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matthew Walker
mcphatty00

Post by mcphatty00 »

The solder joints at the braces broke when this occurred. The only damaged tube is the short out exiting the valve.
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

I am a repairer, and manufacturer, and have dealt with damage like this before. There is more to deal with than you think, if you want it done properly.
Matthew Walker
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

mcphatty00 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:11 pm The solder joints at the braces broke when this occurred. The only damaged tube is the short out exiting the valve.
Ahh.. that would be the only tube that "looks" damaged. If it was enough to break the solder joints, there's a definite possibility of other tubes being slightly bent. The only way to find out is to get it to an expert and go from there. They should be able to tell you when evaluating the condition what the best route to go is.

Also, with that kind of a dent it's always possible that other things were knocked out of alignment.
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

Yes it can be repaired. How that plays after it is repaired is a real crap shot. Not replacing the valve and the most severely affected adjacent tubing will decrease the likelihood that this horn will deliver to professional expectations. Salvaging the bell and replacing the complete valve section might deliver better results with less risk. I had a Duo-Gravis repaired and a Bach LT6 repaired. The LT6 was a success. The Duo-Gravies is playable but not a resounding success.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas

Return to “Modification & Repair”